Are There Any Other Bulbs for the Rayovac SP8D Sportsman Area Lantern Besides Stock?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I purchase a product, I like two things:

1) Replacement parts should be cheap

2) Replacement parts should be widely available from multiple sources

The Rayovac Sportsman SP8D Area Lantern uses two 9 watt tubes. However, I can only find Rayovac selling replacements. According to this product page here, the bulbs are 60 volt, 150mA, and have four pins. Though I can find multiple hits on google for 9 watt tubes with four pins, I cannot locate any designed to work off 60 volts. Is it really possible that only Rayovac/Spectrum Brands sells a replacement tube? I find it hard to believe.

Though I do not own one, the rubbery bottom and handle, even brightness, and lifetime warranty all appeal to me. Judging from the Sportsman Extreme and Gentos models, the Rayovac/Spectrum branded Favourlight stuff is of much higher quality than the fragile Coleman junk. However, I would feel much better if I knew there were other companies making four pin, 9 watt, 60 volt tubes.

*scratches head*

NOTE:

This is the lantern being discussed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for the answer:

I found what appears to be an excellent third party replacement. Go for the Sylvania, model #20313. Here are the specs:

Base: 2G7

Pins: 4

Watts: 9

Volts: 48

Amps: 170mA

Initial Lumens: 580

Mean Lumens: 522

Color Temp: 2700k

CRI: 82

Average Rated Life: 10,000 hours

Source (links to a Google Quickview of the Sylvania PDF)

Source (links to the PDF itself)

NOTE: Although this tube by Sylvania appears to be compatible, I suppose we won't know for sure until:

1) Someone compares the two physically
2) Someone installs it and finds out

Any takers?

:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another one that looks awesome:

Osram Dulux S/E 9W/827

Brand: OSRAM

Part Number: 017655

Weight: 100 grams

Colour: Warm white

Voltage: 48 volts

Specific Uses: Indoor use only

Type of Bulb: CFL

Cap Type: 2G7

EU Energy Efficiency Label: A

Luminous Flux: 600 lumen

Wattage: 9 watts

Incandescent Equivalent: 40 watts

Colour Temperature: 2700 Kelvin

Average Life: 10000 hours

Bulb Diameter: 34 millimetres

Bulb Length: 150 millimetres

Source

Both Sylvania and Osram have variants at higher color temperatures. But a lot of people like their lanterns nice and cozy!

Mmmm...2700k lantern lighting...

Last edited: