Just got this in the mail yesterday..

skyled

Newly Enlightened
Got this yesterday in the mail. I ordered it and it got here in 3 days. It's pretty bright and seems like more than 600 lumens. Downward light is not as bad as it might look from the shape. It feels really solid like their other products. The best is the color temperature. It's just right, not too yellow, not too white. It's slightly longer than this 60w in the picture but it fits all the fixtures in my house fine so far. Anyone willing to do a teardown? :)
13z5mxu.jpg

etwdap.jpg

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some that look real similiar, and although very bright the base get's too hot to touch after awhile.

Curious how your's run.

skyled

Newly Enlightened
it has been running fine. a rule of thumb for led head sinks is that you should be able to put your hand on it for just about 1 second and not get burned per se. in other words it should not be too hot NOR too cool. the color temp is 2700k like deadr linked. i've put it in a standard table lamp and the lamp has its own dimmer which it works without a hitch on.

i'm not sure if they have the bayonet type bases but you can email them and ask. does not look like they website says anything about it. they respond pretty fast when i emailed several times.

it cost 34.90 plus 8.25% tax and 8 dollars shippiung but next time im ordering more so that shipping is free (over 100 i think or 150...cant remember).

Dr Evil

Newly Enlightened
How has this bulb been working out for you? These might be my second choice if I can't find the ones I want. The only problem is the light output is about 200lms lower and the color temp is slightly warmer. BTW, I saw a place online selling them for $25 each with free shipping.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
...a rule of thumb for led head sinks is that you should be able to put your hand on it for just about 1 second and not get burned per se. in other words it should not be too hot NOR too cool.

Not too hot nor too cool?
How exactly does that rule work?

I can envision cases where the LED could get cooked regardless of what the heatsink temperature is. With an inadequate heatsink, you'll always cook the LED. The only thing that the heatsink temperature will indicate is what the thermal resistance is between the LED and the heatsink.

I hope these lights do have adequate heatsinks. If they are too hot to touch for more than a second, then I have some question about their longevity. It would be a shame if LED lights got a bad reputation due to the short lifetime of the LEDs or drive electronics.

regards,
Steve K.

mds82

Enlightened
any pictures of how it illuminates? i'd like to see it close to a wall to see how the light goes in all directions

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much did it cost and do they do bayonett fittings for the UK ?
Went to their website saw this:
Please Note: We currently ship to the U.S. only

Popped over to amazon.co.uk saw this:
Philips MyAmbiance 929000182301 B22 BC 9 Watt LED Bulb, Dimmable by Philips (Kitchen & Home - 20 Sep 2011)
Buy new: £15.76
(lumens not listed but the Canadian 115VAC version is 470 lumens.)
-and-
Philips 12w B22 Bayonet Cap Warm White GLS LED A60 by Philips
Buy new: £35.90
(lumens not listed but the Canadian 115VAC version is 800 lumens.)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?308557-Philips-12w-Teardown
9W third from left, 12w right.
Philips-LED-bulbs.jpg

The bulbs with the LEDs on heatsink facing up (the OP's bulb, the Philips 9W and the Zetalux are directional. Notice the lamp base is lit by the incandescent but not by the LED.
40W-vs-Zetalux7W450L.jpg

The Philips 12W with the LEDs facing sideways is better at all around light. (Don't have a beam shot, waiting for my Lighting science 60W equivalent neutral.)

-----

How has this bulb been working out for you? These might be my second choice if I can't find the ones I want. The only problem is the light output is about 200lms lower and the color temp is slightly warmer. BTW, I saw a place online selling them for $25 each with free shipping.
Your Home Depot should have the following:
Philips AmbientLED 17-Watt (75W) A21 Light Bulb $39.97
Philips AmbientLED 12-Watt (60W) A19 Soft-White Light Bulb $24.97 Also available in 2-pack.
EcoSmart 13-Watt (60W) A19 LED Light Bulb $23.97
EcoSmart 13-Watt (60W) A19 DayLight LED Light Bulb $25.97

If your Home Depot do not have them in stock you can order online through store.earthled.com.
Philips AmbientLED 12W 2700K $ 26.89
Lighting Science Definity A19 - 13.5 Watt (warm, cool, NEUTRAL) $ 25.99
earthled also sells them in 4-packs.

Last edited:

skyled

Newly Enlightened
The A bulb has been working great so far. I picked up 5 more for around the house and one porch light. I got mine for $25 on Amazon. Pretty good deal. Have not gotten around to taking more pictures but I will try to tonight.

My only complaint right now is that if you have a cheap IKEA gooseneck floorlamp, the weight of the bulb pulls the neck downward. I have another goose neck lamp that is stiffer and it holds the bulb fine though.

they have a picture of the illumination pattern but its not very clear.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064R2DA8/?tag=cpf0b6-20