Looking for holiday gift ideas

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Greetings Everyone

I am starting to think about gift ideas for the upcoming holiday season. This year I was thinking about giving out small AA or AAA size lights that can be "turbo charged" with 14500 or 10440 lithium-ion cells. Top on my list of potential candidates is the Preon, which as I understand will take a 10440, but one needs to be careful about overheating.

So here is my question: What AA or AAA single cell flashlight powered by he appropriate 14500 or 10440 would you like to find in your stocking on Christmas morning?

I was going to give this away with a 4Sevens single bay charger. Anyone know if that will work with a 10440? What are other charger options for 10440 cells?

Cheers,
BG

archimedes

Flashaholic
Peak Eiger is designed to work with 10440, and will be very bright on Li-Ion cells.

For small capacity cells like these, I think that the charger made by CPF member cottonpickers works really well.

These sound like great gifts to me ! - :santa:

Last edited:

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Peak Eiger is designed to work with 10440, and will be very bright on Li-Ion cells.

For small capacity cells like these, I think that the charger made by CPF member cottonpickers works really well.

Thanks Archimedes!

Any other suggestions? My budget is up to $300 per gift package, which would include two cells (either 14500 or 10440), a charger and the flashlight.

Cheers,
BG

Battery Guy

Enlightened

By the way, I love the idea of the cottonpicker charger. Quite frankly, this seems like the best charger available for smaller lithium-ion cells. It also comes with a nice "nerd factor", which will be appreciated by the intended recipients.

Cheers,
BG

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought....... if these gifts are for non techie, non CPF type folks, then I would stay away from anything requiring lithium-ion rechargeable cells. Those should only be handled by folks who know and are willing to follow the proper guidelines for their safe use.

How about a Zebralight SC51 AA light and an Eneloop AA battery setup including a Maha c9000 charger? That's 200 lumens out the front, pretty impressive for a single AA pocket light. Total cost about $120.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks Archimedes!

Any other suggestions? My budget is up to $300 per gift package, which would include two cells (either 14500 or 10440), a charger and the flashlight.

Cheers,
BG

$300 (!) - wow :santa:

How about the UniVex Titanium AAA? Less than $150 ... even after you add cells and the charger, you will still only be around $200.

Peak Eiger (AAA/10440) and El Capitan (AA/14500) also both come in pricier titanium versions.

By the way, I love the idea of the cottonpicker charger. Quite frankly, this seems like the best charger available for smaller lithium-ion cells. It also comes with a nice "nerd factor", which will be appreciated by the intended recipients.

Cheers,
BG

If you really want to "geek out", be sure to get the charger with the voltmeter. Adjustable settings, too, if they are battery/flashlight "nerds" and (of course) know how to use and charge Li-Ion safely. :)

Last edited:

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Just a thought....... if these gifts are for non techie, non CPF type folks, then I would stay away from anything requiring lithium-ion rechargeable cells. Those should only be handled by folks who know and are willing to follow the proper guidelines for their safe use.

The gifts are for non CPF type, but not non techie folks. I will only give lithium-ion powered lights to people I know are knowledgeable enough to use them safely.

Cheers,
BG

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would really think seriously about the Eiger. You can get one light engine and a couple different bodies plus a momentary switch, and of course this is the QTC variant. Your techie giftee will crap themselves fitting the different combinations together and wrapping their head around the concept of quantum tunneling. Not to mention, if they ever have a problem, or if they want to order more/different components, they get to deal with Peak. You could do a lot worse for customer service.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I would really think seriously about the Eiger. You can get one light engine and a couple different bodies plus a momentary switch, and of course this is the QTC variant. Your techie giftee will crap themselves fitting the different combinations together and wrapping their head around the concept of quantum tunneling. Not to mention, if they ever have a problem, or if they want to order more/different components, they get to deal with Peak. You could do a lot worse for customer service.

I was thinking the same thing .... If you wanted to add 10180 (and/or 10280) tubes and cells for the Eiger, there would be plenty of room for that in your budget, too.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The gifts are for non CPF type, but not non techie folks. I will only give lithium-ion powered lights to people I know are knowledgeable enough to use them safely.
Of course, I should have figured that out from your name :).

Well then, if you want something reeeeaaallyyy impressive, how about a 1xAAA keyring light with continuously variable output from 0 to 600 lumens :naughty:.

The Peak Vesuvius will do that when equipped with a 10440 IMR cell. The whole shabang, including light, batteries, and charger is available from Bob at RMSK.

It goes without saying (but of course I'll say it anyway) that this little monster can only be run at full output for a short period of time, but I imagine it has quite the giggle factor while it's doing it :santa:.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the Torpedo but it is pre-production.