dimmable led bulbs flickering, alternative fix to incandescent on same circuit?

diablo266

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I've spent the last two days trying out different sets of led flood lamps and finally settled on 6 philips AmbientLed BR30's from home depot along with the "led compatible" lutron dimmer (all on the same circuit). Long story short they work fine at full brightness and extremely low brightness with the dimmer but flicker in between. Using a single incandescent bulb on the same circuit as suggested here completely solves the problem which is great, but i'm not willing to accept that as a solution. Has anyone found any other solutions? Perhaps using an in-line resistor? Am i way off here? Thanks for any help!

ryguy24000

Enlightened
They are dimmable! I don't know what to tell you? I have the the Endura with regular lutron dimmers and everything works great!

diablo266

Newly Enlightened
ryguy24000,

I'd prefer not to debate whether or not they are dimmable or not, we KNOW adding an incandescent on the circuit solves the problem, what i'm trying to achieve is the same effect without the incandescent stealing a socket and sucking power.

How many are you running on one circuit, and unless they're the exact same bulb its a moot point. With 6 of these and the lutron dimmer they are only dimmable to two positions, full on and nearly off, everything in between is a rave party no matter how much fiddling i do with the dimmer fine adjustment. I briefly tested 6 of these bulbs on the exact same setup: http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

and they were 100% dimmable, worked fantastically well through out the whole range. Unfortunately they were more spotlight than flood light so i had to take them back and this is where i'm at now.

Last edited:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Sorry. I am trying to debate. I simply looked them up on Phillips sight and they say they are indeed dimmable, so why don't they work? I might try a different dimmer?
I am running 6 one one circuit and 7 Phillips R20 with Lutron and everything works.
Now here is a link to Lutron's site and what they say about LED compatibility and their dimmers. I don't see your lamps on the list.
http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/CFL LED Bulb list.pdf

diablo266

Newly Enlightened
I'm running the only "led compatible" dimmer home depot sells: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202517700/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

May i ask exactly which model # dimmer you are running? I'm willing to give one more dimmer a shot. And yes, these bulbs are supposed to be dimmable, but so were the 6 ecosmart's i bought before and those were a train wreck, non-stop flicker! As i said with this same dimmer 6 of the larger philips worked amazingly well as far as dimming is concerned. I just feel it's going to be hit and miss and unfortunately nobody else seems to make a bulb in this size and output that works as well as these do. Instead of going on an endless crusade for the best bulb/dimmer combination i would really just like to understand why an incandescent on the circuit solves the problem and replicate its effect some other way.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
C-L Ariadni Dimmer - 150 WATT CFL/LED or 600 WATT Incandescent/Halogen. Single-Pole/Multi-Location. (Must be DIMMABLE CFL or LED Screw-In Lamps) Clamshell Packaging **WHITE** Catalog Page

That dimmer you have should work? basically the same as above just a different style.
I am an electrical contractor and I cannot tell you exactly why you are having trouble? Maybe something about the pure resistance of the Incan stableizes the signal to the LED drivers.???? Maybe this is a question for the Electronics/battery forum? some pretty smart guys in there might have some insight.

dimmerMD

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I work for Lutron and saw your conversation. As you have figured out, not all LEDsare created equal and do not necessarily behave the same on all dimmers. That is one of the reasons why we created our CFL/LEDcompatibility list as ryguy mentioned: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/CFL LED Bulb list.pdf Lutron is only be able to recommend bulbs thatare included on our approved bulb list. If you want to want more assistance, please feel free to send an email to our LED Center of Excellence at [email protected] or call 1.800.523.9466 (24/7) and they will try and help you find a solution. Take care.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Hey guys, I work for Lutron and saw your conversation. As you have figured out, not all LEDsare created equal and do not necessarily behave the same on all dimmers. That is one of the reasons why we created our CFL/LEDcompatibility list as ryguy mentioned: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/CFL LED Bulb list.pdf Lutron is only be able to recommend bulbs thatare included on our approved bulb list. If you want to want more assistance, please feel free to send an email to our LED Center of Excellence at [email protected] or call 1.800.523.9466 (24/7) and they will try and help you find a solution. Take care.

Thank you very much! This should clear up some confusion. This post as a Sticky anyone!?