Sten S7 Headlamp VS Spark ST6 CW500

fraggle

Newly Enlightened
Which do you think is better for caving??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which is better for caving? Advantage or Disadvantages?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which is better for caving?

ryguy24000

Enlightened
That Sten looks real cool. I would think the cable would be the week link in that light.

fraggle

Newly Enlightened
I bought the spark because of its size and cost much less...
$100 VS $300

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the neutral version (ST6 460NW) and it's holding up under some pretty hard use. I don't like the 5min from "super" but am happy with it otherwise. It's survived a few crashes and some rain rides on my bike.

It's a little floppy but not too bad strapped over my helmet.

c7721034.jpg

snakyjake

Enlightened
Reading from Sten Light's website:
  • Having dual LEDs permits greater flexibility with different lens combinations
  • Dual LEDs spread out the light source, reducing glare.
  • Not sure of the Sparks wattage (3w vs 5w), but 3w has the advantage.
Sten doesn't really do a lot to promote their light or explain why it is better than Sparks, Zebralight or Fenix (the most familiar here at CP). The dual lamp intrigues me, and not sure how it works compared to the single lamp like the others. I don't even know if Sten has different lens to be purchased. It also seems like lights from Zebralight, Sparks, and Fenix are going to be brighter. I've been considering Spark's SD6/SD5 for full flood, and waiting for Zebralight's new full floods coming soon. Saw a nice review of Fenix HP11 that I'd like to see compared.

For caves I want a light that can give me flood and throw, which I think a dual lamp would be ideal. I also want the light to bring out natural colors, so I wouldn't choose cool white. I hate finding a nice mineral rock with my cool white, then being disappointed when I look at it in daylight.

Jake

kevinm

Enlightened
The Spark is cheaper, comes in a neutral tint, and has survived many caving trips on my girlfriend's helmet. The best Sten available is about 360 lumens, so the the Spark ST6-460NW is brighter.

The Sten is tougher.

joanne

Newly Enlightened
You might want to also consider Little Monkey. Take a read through the Rude Nora thread on this headlamp forum.

Joanne

kevinm

Enlightened
Really? even with the battery pack wire? Nice. Finally a reliable rear mounted battery pack headlamp! You can even crush it with a car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWhgOJ14pSk

The wire is replaceable on the Sten, but you're right, the couple that I saw fail failed there. Others have had problems at the connector. In either case, that's why some people put the cable inside their helmets.

I'm still betting the Sten is tougher than the Spark. I'd love to see destructive testing of both!

EatSleepRunBike

Newly Enlightened
I've got the st460 and I've seen a stenlight in person. I'd have to say the st460 looks tougher. The rubber mount, while being slightly annoying in use, will not crush, bend or break when wacked against rocks and stuffed into bags or sat on. The st460 also doesn't have wires to pull out, or break and the battery is protected in its aluminum light. The light head on the sten might be just as durable, but I believe when considering the total system of both lights, the st460/500 wins. That being said, I doubt either light's durability will be an issue as they are both well thought out lights and made to survive.