18350/RCR123 size Alpha "Shorty" pre-order!

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi folks,

I've had quite a few people asking about a smaller size light. I have one prototype (photos below) and I'm trying to finish up my holiday run by the end of the month. I "might" have time to squeeze in some 18350 lights and/or 18350 bodies that can lego with existing Alphas. My intent (no guarantees) is to deliver these before Christmas. So, there would be two options:

18350/RCR123 size Alpha (overall length is 4.375")
  1. Option 1: body only (no head, no tailcap) - $50
  2. Option 2: complete light - $225
The are basically made-to-order from scratch, I'm insanely busy, and hence the extra $25 bucks compared to the standard Alpha. Complete lights will be stamped with a number from 1-5 to show it's limited edition-ness. I DO NOT have any batteries (or chargers) available for sale (18350/RCR123). You'll have to source these yourself.

Finishes:

The 18350/RCR123 bodies will be finished like the standard Alphas, they will not be grooved like the prototype in the photo below. Custom grooving and/or finishes can be requested for an additional fee.

The rules:
  1. Only 5 bodies and 5 complete lights available!
  2. The pre-order will be open until Thanksgiving and won't be extended. I need lead time to get these done.
  3. I won't need your money till after Thanksgiving.
  4. Since no money will change hands immediately, orders are accepted based on the order of "I'll take its" on this thread.
  5. If it turns out I have extra time I can make extra lights. No promises though. So, if the list is full I can start a wait list.
After Thanksgiving I'll send out invoices and finish up the lights. These will go out for plate with my current batch of holiday lights and "should" ship around the first part of December.

How to order:

You can see my finish and LED options here> http://darksucks.com/store_alpha2.html
  1. Post an "I'll take it" on this thread, and include the information below. I'll consider this a hand-shake agreement since payment doesn't happen till later.
  2. Body only buyers:
    1. I need to know what finish your existing light has and I will match it...as far as that is possible. It may (or may not) be a perfect match.
  3. Complete light buyers:
    1. please let me know what finish you want out of my existing options (blast/polish, brushed, stone washed).
    2. Please let me know what LED you want to make sure I'll have it in stock.
Let the games begin!

Reservations:

Complete light
1) S1LVA (Brushed, XPG, Ti Clip)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Body-only
1) egrep (blased body)
2) davec611 (brushed body)
3)
4)
5)

18350-chapstick.jpg
18350-hand.jpg

18350-pair.jpg
18350-triple.jpg

Last edited:

S1LVA

Enlightened
Re: 18350/RCR123 size Alpha pre-order!

Awesome.

Dibs on #1 complete light. Details to follow soon...

Jason, you are the man!

Andrew

Edit: Ok, so I've decided which options... Brushed Alpha "Shorty" w/ High CRI XP-G and Ti clip.

225 + 25 + 6 = 256

Last edited:

egrep

Enlightened

I'll take a tube please, blasted and polished. :takeit:

Do you mean 16340/R123? or 18350? On tube for both? How does that work?

If you mean there are two shorty bodies, I'll take one of each please.

Last edited:

davec611

Newly Enlightened

Put me down for a body in brushed!

archer6817j

Enlightened

List updated ;)

Let's call these "shorty" bodies. So the shorty has the same size bore as the Alpha so it will naturally fit an 18350. Since the 123 size is a smaller diameter they will fit inside the tube. The fit is loose but the spring tension is pretty tight and it doesn't rattle unless you really try. I suppose it isn't too hard to provide a Delrin reducing sleeve if people want that.

Keep in mind, if you are using the 2.8A driver, you must use an IMR battery. The current draw @ 2.8A is too high for a standard Li-Ion battery. Poof, boom, something like that.

Additionally, neither the 2.8A or 1.4A drivers will work with a single 123 primary because the voltage is too low for a linear driver.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened

Can the "shorty" body be used with the original Alpha head?

egrep

Enlightened

So, at least a 4.2V battery is required and an IMR to handle the current needs of the 2.8A head. I assume mine is the 1.4A, but I just don't know/remember. I'm sure we can straighten that out. Delrin Sleeve +1

It's exciting to have the shorty option, thanks Jason!

List updated ;)

Let's call these "shorty" bodies. So the shorty has the same size bore as the Alpha so it will naturally fit an 18350. Since the 123 size is a smaller diameter they will fit inside the tube. The fit is loose but the spring tension is pretty tight and it doesn't rattle unless you really try. I suppose it isn't too hard to provide a Delrin reducing sleeve if people want that.

Keep in mind, if you are using the 2.8A driver, you must use an IMR battery. The current draw @ 2.8A is too high for a standard Li-Ion battery. Poof, boom, something like that.

Additionally, neither the 2.8A or 1.4A drivers will work with a single 123 primary because the voltage is too low for a linear driver.

archer6817j

Enlightened

So, at least a 4.2V battery is required and an IMR to handle the current needs of the 2.8A head. I assume mine is the 1.4A, but I just don't know/remember. I'm sure we can straighten that out. Delrin Sleeve +1

It's exciting to have the shorty option, thanks Jason!

If you have an MCE or XML (I forget) it will have a 2.8A driver.

sassaquin

Enlightened

Rats, I'm bummed out these won't run on primaries - Not sure if I want to be limited to just rechargables, got to think on this.
They look great and just the right size.:)

archer6817j

Enlightened

All current orders are ready to ship! Sending PM's now.

This sign up is now open for new orders. Let me know if you want a shorty!

egrep

Enlightened

WooHoo! Thanks Jason! The "sun in my pocket" just got 1,1811" shorter!

Last edited:

hoplite

Newly Enlightened

All current orders are ready to ship! Sending PM's now.

This sign up is now open for new orders. Let me know if you want a shorty!

Hi Jason. I'd like a stonewashed shorty body to go with the light I ordered from your web store last Saturday. Please advise.

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hi Jason. I'd like a stonewashed shorty body to go with the light I ordered from your web store last Saturday. Please advise.

Great! I tried to PM you but I think you need more posts to activate that. Anyway, I'll go ahead and make a body for you but delivery will be at least a month away. I have to send out a "batch" of lights to the plating company...or you could choose to pay the $75 minimum lot fee the plating company charges and get it in a week or so. Feel free to email me: [email protected]

Please be advised, you must use an IMR 18350 or RCR123 type battery. If you put in a regular 123 cell it could explode because they can't handle the current draw. I don't sell these batteries but I can tell you where to get them if you email or PM me :) Also keep in mind you are going to see about 15-20 minutes of run time on high.

Cheers,

Jason

Last edited:

Latest posts