Klarus
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

Hybrid View

Default Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Superb review as always Selfbuilt.

Thank you for letting me know what faults to look out for when mine arrives next week...

Default Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Typo :Can run off of 1 x 18660 or 2 x CR123A in emergency situations.
    Great review, Cheers Norm
    LOL, and that was something I cut-and-pasted from a dealer's specs. I'm sure I've got more than a few in my own writing, given how long this review is.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Fenix LD60.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    but I'm not sure how you open the plastic base to insert/thread the attachment wire.
    The base doesn't open. The included stiff wire is used to pull the lanyard though (nice touch by nitecore)
    I think that 60 deg is maybe a bit too hot for the sensor to cut off personally it's on the very, very edge of burning-skin hot.
    But overall a great torch. (save having to check battery voltages every time I load the batteries so that i'm sure i don't screw up the batts)

Last edited by jeowf; 11-15-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    Minimag/Fenix LD-15/Fenix HP11/Jetbeam TC-R2/Fenix TK35/Nitecore TM11

Selfbuilt,

Thanks for yet another outstanding review. I agree that your long beamshots don't do the light justice. I recently tested mine in an area with many trees 50-100+ feet away, and it provided a remarkably bright and broad beam that truly blew away my other lights, including Scorpion II turbo, Eagletac M3C4 XM-L (single XM-L), Catapult V2, etc. With their narrower beams, those lights may give the impression of greater brightness in a smaller area, but the TM11 is in another league entirely. For those people who want more throw it might be interesting if Nitecore offered a "moderate" turbo head option a la Scorpion. It would be closer in size to the RRT3 but have longer runtime from its 4x18650's.

In your outdoor beamshots you label the TM11 on "High". Did you mean Turbo?

My only gripe about the TM11 is the hair trigger sensitivity of the switch. If a little more pressure was required, you would be less likely to accidently go into Turbo from "Momentary daily mode", and also less likely to accidently go to a different level within momentary daily mode. The voltage meter is a great feature; I wish more lights had it.

Brightnorm
    Last edited by brightnorm; 11-15-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Great review, selfbuilt.

It took me a a little bit of staring at the parts before I realized that the tiny piece of string had an actual purpose. I'm assuming it must be considered completely intuitive, but my intuition didn't immediately kick in to tell me it was a pull string to thread the lanyard.

Last edited by varuscelli; 11-16-2011 at 04:13 PM.

I'm not sure what other current users of the TM11 think about this, but after doing a bit of fumbling on more than one occasion when trying to locate the switch to turn it off (or switch modes) while using it out in the dark, I actually wish the red switch light would automatically come on when the light is switched on.

Despite the tactile recesses to the left and right of the switch that I assume are there to help the user locate the switch by feel, I'd like the red switch light to come on while the TM11 is in use to give a visual of where the switch is.

Locating the switch is not much of a problem when in high or turbo mode, but if used on the lower modes (without other reflective surfaces around to bounce light back toward the light body), the switch goes pretty much invisible. With such a fat light body, it can take a bit of spinning to actually locate the switch by feel alone, especially if you're using only one hand to control the flashlight.

Does this make sense to any of you who are using the TM11?

Quote Originally Posted by jeowf View Post
    The base doesn't open. The included stiff wire is used to pull the lanyard though (nice touch by nitecore)
    Quote Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
    It took me a a little bit of staring at the parts before I realized that the tiny piece of string had an actual purpose. I'm assuming it must be considered completely intuitive, but my intuition didn't immediately kick in to tell me it was a pull string to thread the lanyard.
    Of course, that makes sense. Should have clued in by the larger hole opening in the light base, to accommodate the thicker lanyard material. Thanks for the pics guys, I'm sure others will find them helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jeowf View Post
    I think that 60 deg is maybe a bit too hot for the sensor to cut off personally it's on the very, very edge of burning-skin hot.
    Yeah, it is not very comfortable, to it mildly (but of course, this is just external - I don't what exactly the sensor detects internally). It would probably do better with hand-holding (i.e. would slow the rate of temperature increase). Still, if bare-handed, I expect most will not be keen to run this light on Hi or Turbo for extended periods of time ...

Quote Originally Posted by brightnorm View Post
    In your outdoor beamshots you label the TM11 on "High". Did you mean Turbo?
    No, the labels are correct. I meant to showcase how the lower "1200 lumen" level looks against other lights with lower max output. I've added some headers to those pics, to make that clearer.

My only gripe about the TM11 is the hair trigger sensitivity of the switch. If a little more pressure was required, you would be less likely to accidently go into Turbo from "Momentary daily mode", and also less likely to accidently go to a different level within momentary daily mode.
    Yes, it is rather sensitive. However, I found it didn't take me long to get the feel just right (and reliably produce the level I want). Of course, that's mainly sitting around my house - in a tense situation, something tells me I'd be getting the Turbo mode no matter what I tried for.

I'm not sure what other current users of the TM11 think about this, but after doing a bit of fumbling on more than one occasion when trying to locate the switch to turn it off (or switch modes) while using it out in the dark, I actually wish the red switch light would automatically come on when the light is switched on.
    An interesting idea, I can see why you would want it. I suspect many would object to a constant red light during operation, but I too am curious to hear what others think.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Fenix LD60.

I tried threading my lanyard like varuscelli pictured, but couldn't get the darn lanyard through the opening. I had to take the plastic header off the lanyard, fed only one end of the rope through, then reattached the header. Just curious, anyone else have that problem?

Quote Originally Posted by HunkaBurninLove View Post
    I tried threading my lanyard like varuscelli pictured, but couldn't get the darn lanyard through the opening. I had to take the plastic header off the lanyard, fed only one end of the rope through, then reattached the header. Just curious, anyone else have that problem?
    You just have to tug hard and it'll go through. I actually threaded it as pictured and used a Leatherman to pull on the two loose ends to pull the lanyard through the hole.
    My dog ate my flashlight...

Quote Originally Posted by HunkaBurninLove View Post
    Yeah, I think the TM11 method of threading the lanyard seems a bit funky. When I did mine, I found the threading of the lanyard tight, but I don't recall having to put a huge effort into it (just pulled it through by hand...with my apparent superhuman strength... ). Had the cord been any thicker it would have been difficult -- and who knows? they might have started using a different batch of cord material, and even a very slight increase in diameter or stiffness of cord would make it harder to thread.

I think the advantage of threading the cord the way it comes is that if you want to take it off it's easy to do so. If you remove the plastic tip and thread it, you have to go through that exercise again to remove it and reattach it. I can't see that people would be removing and reattaching the cord often, but I guess that's a matter of individual use. It's much cleaner looking to thread it the way you described by removing the lanyard cord end.

Here's the way it looks when threaded as apparently intended by Nitecore -- kind of a big, ugly loop...but a very sturdy hold.

Hmmm, prior to getting myself one of these lights I asked my supplier if he got a fresh batch of TM-11's. He confirmed the 'flickering' problem was a thing of the past so I ordered one. It is now returned after it started flickering and died within 10 minutes. I was impressed with the amount of light for about 5 minutes but was denied the change to try it out in the dark.

Timings and pressure needed take a little getting used, but eventually you should be able to navigate through the modes reliably. Note that when in momentary Lo/Med/Hi, you can press further for momentary Max.
    I don't own any other flashlights that have a similar capability (are there any others that allow this, by the way?), but I think that instant access from momentary Lo/Med/Hi to momentary Turbo is great. No need to release the switch -- just push further to go into momentary Turbo from whichever lower momentary mode you're currently using. Very cool.

That for all the time you spent on this review. nice job. This seems like it will be a really nice light with a great UI if they can get all the bugs worked out.

I don't own any other flashlights that have a similar capability (are there any others that allow this, by the way?), but I think that instant access from momentary Lo/Med/Hi to momentary Turbo is great. No need to release the switch -- just push further to go into momentary Turbo from whichever lower momentary mode you're currently using. Very cool.
    This is actually my preferred two-stage "tactical" interface, pioneered (I believe) by Surefire on the L2-series lights.

On those lights, lightly press the switch for momentary Lo, press harder for momentary Max. Of course, you also have the option to screw on for locked-on (i.e. either locked off, locked Lo, or locked Max). Gives you the flexibility to set the light to constant on Lo, and then press for momentary max, for example. Quite ingenious. Lumintop has also duplicated this general switch design on their P16X light. FYI, the Surefire UB3T uses a new version of this tailcap, where you set the "Lo" state to any of the possible user-defined output modes (including max or strobe) by turning the control ring in the head.

Of course, all those lights involve an actual tailcap and physical contact/press. This is the first time I've seen this interface with an electronic switch. One downside here is that you have no option to convert your momentary to locked-on (i.e. need to flash off first).

Here is a potentially better scale reference:

That's some serious product placements. Now I feel thirsty and hungry at the same time.

Light gets hot quickly (e.g. without cooling, my final sample reached 50 degrees C surface temp in 4.5 mins). I recommend you do not tailstand the light on Turbo or Hi for extended periods (or take great caution before picking it up again if you do!). Best to constantly hand-hold the light when in use, or limit yourself to the Lo/Med when using as a candle.
    Did you find out the maximum temperature this monster emits past the 4.5min mark?

Another fantastic review.

Thanks for a great review. Your photos sure are grainy for ISO 80. Guess cameras have come a long way since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastToad View Post
    Thanks for a great review. Your photos sure are grainy for ISO 80. Guess cameras have come a long way since 2007.
    C'mon, leave the metadata alone and just sit back and enjoy the show...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel View Post
    That's some serious product placements. Now I feel thirsty and hungry at the same time.
    Full disclosure: no food/beverage products were supplied by any manufacturer for this review (sadly ).

Did you find out the maximum temperature this monster emits past the 4.5min mark?
    The detailed graph of the third TM11 sample shows a temperature curve without cooling. It seemed to level out at 59 degree C (surface temp, mid-point of the head).

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastToad View Post
    Image noise seems to be an issue with the sensor in this specific camera model - which is why I've set it to ISO 80, to try and help compensate somewhat (I won't spoil the surprise for those who haven't checked out the metadata yet ). But note the shots are all done in ambient room lighting (i.e. on the corner of my desk, near a large window). Given the volume of lights I process, I don't have time for a more professional lightbox setup.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 11-16-2011 at 02:13 PM.

The detailed graph of the third TM11 sample shows a temperature curve without cooling. It seemed to level out at 59 degree C (surface temp, mid-point of the head).
    Thanks. 59ºC seems bearable without going aiyayayayaya!*

Thanks for the excellent review!

I'm not sure if this is a common thing with Nitecore lights but wouldn't using springs on the bottom of the battery-well be better than just the bent metal connectors it is using? I'm concerned the metal tabs could take a set and not give reliable contact after a while. Springs would also give a greater range of battery lengths to be used in the light.
    Last edited by Pandorum; 11-16-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Well done Selfbuilt. Thanks
    Dan
    Official Lumapower Dealer, teaming with Kooter

Nice review as always selfbuilt.
    I'm not sure about the light mainly because of the batteries. Just seems like its asking for trouble but then again I'm not one to mess with li ion.

The uniqueness of this light makes it deserving of many hits. I suspect that if you put "2000 lumens" in the title it would attract flashaholics like moths to the flame :-)
    LOL, I would have thought the "4x18650, 3xXM-L" in the title would be a bit of a give-away.

Quote Originally Posted by Acid87 View Post
    I'm not sure about the light mainly because of the batteries. Just seems like its asking for trouble but then again I'm not one to mess with li ion.
    Hmmm, well, you could always run in on primary CR123As. But as mentioned in the review, I don't recommend anything less than the full complement (i.e. 8xCR123A) if you plan to run on Turbo.

As an aside, I didn't detect any thermal issues with the 8xCR123A cells on Turbo (did two runs, on two individual samples). People may not realize it, but some of the ~750 lumen lights can be too hard on just 2xCR123A (i.e. tripping the PTC circuits).

LOL, I would have thought the "4x18650, 3xXM-L" in the title would be a bit of a give-away.
    I was watching a DVD of "Madmen" and the idea of selling the product briefly overcame common sense!

Brightnorm

Last edited by brightnorm; 11-18-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Nice review as always selfbuilt.
    You're already messing with li-on batteries is if you have any laptop computer, any mobile phone, any power tool, any iPod or pretty much any portable device. That should be almost 100% of the civilised population. Have you experienced any explosions yet? Perhaps not, since li on is safe as long as it isnt abused.
    Last edited by yifu; 11-19-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yifu
    You're already messing with li-on batteries is if you have any laptop computer, any mobile phone, any power tool, any iPod or pretty much any portable device. That should be almost 100% of the civilised population. Have you experienced any explosions yet? Perhaps not, since li on is safe as long as it isnt abused.
    I understand that. It's more the using separate cells together in a light and the problems undercharged or overcharged etc. in the devices you mention the power packs are together even if it does consist of 18650 batteries in laptops etc.
    As for explosions I have had an alkaline battery vent in my eye. Long story. So I know there is issues with any battery if abused.
    My biggest issue is the rotation of cells and ensuring they have charged correctly etc.

Flashaholic

I have been waiting to push the trigger on buying this TM11 but I cant see if this is a positive review or not.
    Light seems amazing on specs , but its like a Alfa Romeo , great car when it works ...

Is there anyway to know if the TM11 is a new version or old one from the serial number or something?
    Last edited by Art; 11-19-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    Artur

Selfbuilt summarises it nicely as 2 major issues:
    1) LED emitter soldering issue - results in one of the emitters failing; Nitecore has rectified this issue.
    2) flickering on turbo - Nitecore has revised the circuitry.

When I receive mine, I will test it out thoroughly immediately.
    If problems within first 14 days, free brand new replacement.
    Thereafter, 18 months warranty.
    Lifetime repair available for cost of parts only.

I would only be worried if there were no fixes for these problems...

Deleted - accidental double post
    Last edited by brightnorm; 11-20-2011 at 05:50 PM.

I understand that. It's more the using separate cells together in a light and the problems undercharged or overcharged etc. in the devices you mention the power packs are together even if it does consist of 18650 batteries in laptops etc.
    As for explosions I have had an alkaline battery vent in my eye. Long story. So I know there is issues with any battery if abused.
    My biggest issue is the rotation of cells and ensuring they have charged correctly etc.
    Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO
    The possibility of an incident with multi-battery lights is drastically reduced by adhering to the common sense procedures often mentioned on CPF. If you use only the highest quality protected batteries in multi-cell lights the chances of an "incident" will be extremely slight. This is one area where expense should take a back seat to safety.

I only use protected batteries in my lights. For use in the TM11 I've been charging Redilast 2900's on Pila IBC chargers and so far they always charge within .01v of each other. My TM11 suffers from the premature temperature-related cycling Selfbuilt mentioned, but I noticed thay even when the head of the TM11 gets hot, the batteries are still only warm.

Brightnorm
    Last edited by brightnorm; 11-20-2011 at 05:44 PM.