NiteFighter
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

Default Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

I bort mine fr hkequipment.net, but you should buy it locally from bugoutgearusa.com with cpfsave15 for 15% off, or even lightjunction for some cpf 12% off...

Default Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Thanks selfbuilt for all the great info in your review.

The TM11 1.11 version is out now. Eg at liteshop.com.au.
    Selfbuilt, do you have any official knowledge from Nitecore as to how it is different?
    And how do we tell/identify the 1.11 from the original?
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 12-11-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Thank you Selfbuilt for the review. I purchased mine at 28% off on Black Friday and this is a wonderful light. I bought it to replace a Maelstrom X10 for carry at work. The funny thing is that when both lights are in their holsters, the holsters are the same size. The bezel of the X10 is about the same diameter as the body of the TM11. I had to add a clip to the holster because I don't wear a belt, but it has been usable so far. I will probably have another holster made later because I dislike velcro.
    I got to use it quite a bit yesterday and I keep getting surprised by how much better it throws than I was expecting. The thickness really hasn't been a problem for me and I have small hands. I agree with others about the switch being a bit sensitive. I had it turn on (from locked out) in the holster in my backpack when coming home one day and it was on for at least part of the 45 minute drive. It was too hot to touch, but I turned off the switch and let it cool down, then recharged the batteries and it still works well. It took 2 hours to recharge the batteries at a 1A charge rate, so it had been on for a while at least. I've also had it come on in the holster on my waist when I bumped into the edge of a counter.
    I took it down by the lake to compare it to the Fenix TK70 that I also got on Black Friday and the beam profiles appear nearly identical. They both seem to illuminate the foreground similarly, but the Fenix has a bit more throw. If you don't need the throw of the Fenix, the TM11 is a much better alternative just due to the easy ability to carry it and the UI.

Quote Originally Posted by peterharvey73 View Post
    Just got my Redilast 3100's, and my Tiny Monster.
    Redilast 3100's fit and work fine in Tiny Monster...
    Bro, could you have a look at this thread and comment on possible issues I'm having..?
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...91#post3816991

Thanks

George

Originally Posted by 3Cylinders
    According to post#49 here, Redilast 3100mAh's should work. I would suggest re-checking everything on the light, batteries are fully charged and inserted correctly (positive toward the head) and nothing is wrong with the battery compartment. You can also try powering it up with only one battery inserted (I would go for a daily low mode and avoid turbo like this). If you don't find anything wrong, you may have gotten a defective light.

Originally Posted by 3Cylinders
    According to post#49 here, Redilast 3100mAh's should work. I would suggest re-checking everything on the light, batteries are fully charged and inserted correctly (positive toward the head) and nothing is wrong with the battery compartment. You can also try powering it up with only one battery inserted (I would go for a daily low mode and avoid turbo like this). If you don't find anything wrong, you may have gotten a defective light.
    + make sure u have tightened them down to within a micrometer of their lives...

Baddog, I'm trying to make sure I don't rip something apart. I've been known to do that and with the price of this tiny monster, I've gotta tell you, I'm skeered...

Charging my redilast batteries as we speak. I assumed they were charged but maybe they weren't. I'll report back..

My Redilast 3100 mAH were delivered directly from Redilast, fully charged.
    I did top it up anyway, but it went green within a few minutes, or certainly within half an hour anyway.

Guiri, are you using a good charger like a Pila charger, may I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    Baddog, I'm trying to make sure I don't rip something apart. I've been known to do that and with the price of this tiny monster, I've gotta tell you, I'm skeered...

Charging my redilast batteries as we speak. I assumed they were charged but maybe they weren't. I'll report back..
    I'd be a bit hesitant to just tighten the heck out of the TM11 (lube it first, it you do!), but it's not that I'm certain any harm would come from that. On mine (both the TM11s I had in my possession), I had to tighten them very snugly but not to any extreme. Hey, but I also have a ZebraLight H501w that I had to tighten to what I'd consider an extreme before it ever worked for me (in fact, I at first thought it was defective). Afterward (especially after lubing the threads) it got easier and easier to tighten down to good contact level. So you might additionally try lubing the threads if you haven't already done that.

I did top it up anyway, but it went green within a few minutes, or certainly within half an hour anyway.
    My Redilast 3100s needed some charging when I received them -- a couple of them were on the charger (Pila IBC) for a significant amount of time (maybe not an hour but at least half an hour or more, if I recall correctly) before the charger went to green, so for some reason not all of them seem to be equally charged on delivery.

Yeah, that scares me a lot. I did put them on a cheapo charger as that's all I have right now and they basically sat there overnight till they got done. So, when I get the last one charged, I will test it again and report back.

Thanks

Guiri, are you using a good charger like a Pila charger, may I ask?
    Sadly to say Peter, no and I'm embarrassed to say that I HAVE ONE but I can't find the damn US plug for it.
    It's sitting with the european adapter and I have no idea where my other stuff is and yes, I have too much stuff.

I may have to pimp it so I can hook it up

Sadly to say Peter, no and I'm embarrassed to say that I HAVE ONE but I can't find the damn US plug for it.
    It's sitting with the european adapter and I have no idea where my other stuff is and yes, I have too much stuff.

I may have to pimp it so I can hook it up
    A European-to-American plug adapter would probably cost only a couple of dollars if you could find a local place to buy one...or get one off Amazon for $2 or $3, but probably have to pay shipping, too. It might be a bit ironic to have to buy the adapter, though (). But hey, if I had spent that kind of money on good 18650 batteries (I did) I'd want to use the best charger I had (I do) -- at least, over the long haul. It shouldn't hurt to use the cheap charger on a temporary basis, though.

The TM11 1.11 version is out now. Eg at liteshop.com.au.
    Selfbuilt, do you have any official knowledge from Nitecore as to how it is different?
    And how do we tell/identify the 1.11 from the original?
    Good look there. Yeah, what is the difference. Is this really the 'new and improved'?

Selfbuilt, where are you?

The TM11 1.11 version is out now. Selfbuilt, do you have any official knowledge from Nitecore as to how it is different? And how do we tell/identify the 1.11 from the original?
    I don't have any additional info from Nitecore. And I don't know if it helps, but on my original sample (that "flickered") had printed on the circuit board in the head "V1.10-1108". The third sample has the label "V1.11-1110" printed there. But seeing as you have to open the lights up to see what is printed inside, I don't know how useful that is for online ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Cylinders View Post
    I agree with others about the switch being a bit sensitive. I had it turn on (from locked out) in the holster in my backpack when coming home one day and it was on for at least part of the 45 minute drive. It was too hot to touch, but I turned off the switch and let it cool down, then recharged the batteries and it still works well. It took 2 hours to recharge the batteries at a 1A charge rate, so it had been on for a while at least. I've also had it come on in the holster on my waist when I bumped into the edge of a counter.
    Yeah, that's why I always recommend physically locking out the head by a quarter-turn loosening when the light is not in use (i.e. to prevent accidental activation). You can also use the circuit soft-lock feature, but I prefer the physical lock-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddog View Post
    + make sure u have tightened them down to within a micrometer of their lives...
    Quote Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
    I'd be a bit hesitant to just tighten the heck out of the TM11 (lube it first, it you do!), but it's not that I'm certain any harm would come from that.
    Tolerances are such that really long cells may be an issue (e.g. I wasn't able to get my 4GREER button-top cells to work, no matter how hard I cranked it). Since at least some have managed to get the Redilast 3100mAh to work, hopefully it won't be an issue.

On a separate issue, someone in another thread mentioned that the diffuser from the Eagletac M3C4 screws down and fits the TM11. I just attempted this, and can confirm it works. Note that you may need to use the old mouse-pad trick to get the SS bezel off the TM11 (i.e. use the underside of a typical mouse-pad to grip and turn the ring). But the diffuser works well to give you a true "wall of light".
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Jetbeam RRT26.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    On a separate issue, someone in another thread mentioned that the diffuser from the Eagletac M3C4 screws down and fits the TM11. I just attempted this, and can confirm it works. Note that you may need to use the old mouse-pad trick to get the SS bezel off the TM11 (i.e. use the underside of a typical mouse-pad to grip and turn the ring). But the diffuser works well to give you a true "wall of light".
    Wow, I hadn't read this elsewhere. I made one from a plastic milk carton that fits nicely and works well but has the known sickly yellow spot in the middle. I'm trying to figure out if the EagleTac M3C4 diffusers are sold separately by any vendor.

Anyone happen to know the specific part number of that diffuser/filter? I think it's the M3 Diffuser (from the EagleTac website), but I'm having trouble figuring it out for sure (searching now.)

Ooo, sounds interesting

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    I don't have any additional info from Nitecore. And I don't know if it helps, but on my original sample (that "flickered") had printed on the circuit board in the head "V1.10-1108". The third sample has the label "V1.11-1110" printed there. But seeing as you have to open the lights up to see what is printed inside, I don't know how useful that is for online ordering.
    Thanks - mine says "Sysmax 3XML-V1.11-1110", so I guess I'm okay, since I've had no dramas so far...

Mine's V1.10-1108

Mine's V1.10-1108
    Mine's the same, but no problems experienced with it.

It is possible that V1.11-1110:
    - the 1.11 may mean that it's the third version, after the original 1.00 and the second version 1.10?
    - while the 1110 may stand for 2011 October build?

Thus yours are second version @ 1.10, and 1108 may mean a 2011 August build?

Well, I don't seem to have any problems with it but then, I dont' play with it as much as you guys do or do any testing, nor do I use it long enough to see any heat problems

Well, I don't seem to have any problems with it but then, I dont' play with it as much as you guys do or do any testing, nor do I use it long enough to see any heat problems
    guiri, is yours working now with the Redilast 3100s? Or is it still balking?

It is possible that V1.11-1110:
    - the 1.11 may mean that it's the third version, after the original 1.00 and the second version 1.10?
    - while the 1110 may stand for 2011 October build?

Thus yours are second version @ 1.10, and 1108 may mean a 2011 August build?
    I'm guessing that you're almost on target with a couple of minor exceptions to what you wrote (that is, if I'm seeing things clearly, which I might not be).

It looks like what we've seen are two versions:

V1.10-1108 (the first release, very likely with 1108 meaning August 2011)
    V1.11-1110 (the second release, very likely with 1110 meaning October 2011)

I'm pretty sure the very first one that was actually released to the public was the V1.10-1108, some of which had problems. I don't think there was a publicly released version before the V1.10-1108. If there were V1.00 through V1.09 versions, those were likely just the development versions in house with Sysmax, unless some test prototype was released to certain chosen testers...but I don't recall any mention of versions other than those two listed above (but maybe I missed it or have misinterpreted something).

I have V1.10-1108, but haven't seen any problems (yet). Hopefully it will remain good. It's a great light.

I'm actually like Guiri - I don't run my light hard enough, esp long enough, to really know if it is an improvement over the earlier build at all...

Quote Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
    guiri, is yours working now with the Redilast 3100s? Or is it still balking?
    Well, I just finally got all four charged and just tried it and frankly, I don't have enough strength (getting old and a bit of arthritic I think) to tighten
    it enough to get it going with all four batteries so the word's in, I'm gonna sell these suckers.

Suggestions on something that's got a REAL button top that is decent quality? How bout some of those on ebay with claimed
    3400 or even 4000 mah?

Since we apparently can't post links to ebay here, feel free to message me about them.

I am in awe. Great review.
    EDC: SS ReVo S2 (1yr), E01 (1yr). Camping: Tikka XP (6 yrs). RIP: CMG Infinity (10 yrs), Gerber Infinity (7yrs)
    For a light to be worth while to EDC, it needs to be able to last a decade.

Just in case someone wants to PM me and buy the Redilasts, I thought I'd mention that I've already sold them...

I ran my Tiny Monster to the limit the other night.
    It does heat up, not unbearably so, then step down to hi, then there is cycling that some have reported.
    Personally, the stepping up/down from turbo to hi and vice versa with heat doesn't seem to bother me at all, but I guess it can irritate some people?
    Or as someone previously suggested, after stepping down, there may be an electronic circuit added to prevent it from going up again to turbo, unless the user turns it off, then back on again.

Btw, I've never had to tighten the life out of any of my flashlights, or to fit my Redilast 3100's into the TM; Guiri must have unfortunately a lemon, or maybe it was damaged by the original owner? I suspect someone along the line, including the next owner should send it back to Nitecore for service, and they may even update the hardware for free under warranty...