Klarus
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

Default Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

I think the tiny magnets from lighthound might be the way to go. I got some but being a lazy pig, I haven't tried it yet and besides, I promised to sell the Redilast to a buddy of mine

Default Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    I think the tiny magnets from lighthound might be the way to go.
    I don't recommend use of those magnets - they could dislodge while tightening the head, causing a potential short. And in any case, the extra height of the magnets would probably prevent activation on overly tall flat-top cells.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Thrunite Neutron 2014 - 2A 2C.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

I kinda thought of that actually but still got some for charging purposes if nothing else. Especially considering how cheap they were and got myself some 123 dummies while I was at it.

I still prefer nipple cells. Can't really stand these flat tops. I already ed a Jetbeam putting a set of flats in the wrong way 'cause I didn't see which was the plus side

Just so this is on record, there are three versions of the TM11 that have been seen on CPF, the 1.9 which is visible here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...s-of-Pictures) (I'm not sure if this version got to customers. I think it was a preview "beta") The 1.10 which appears in the pictures in this fine review (great reviews, selfbuilt, I really enjoy reading them), and the 1.11.

The list of known versions is now:
    V1.9-1107 (preview beta)
    V1.10-1108
    V1.11-1110

Stuff before that was probably just development prototypes. I think this may provide support to the theory that the numbers after the version number is the date the version was released. I also think that Guiri is probably one of the only users who has reported that the Redilast 3100mAh cells don't work in his torch. All of the other reports I have read indicate that these cells are working for most people. Maybe his torch is an oddball, since I really don't think the problem is user error, and his torch was most probably already returned for warranty work. I have seen one report of success with the 4Greer 3100mAh cells working. That report is recent, but I don't think the user stated what version of the TM11 he owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillo0 View Post
    V1.9-1107 (preview beta)
    Whoa! You have some good eyes to have picked that up! Good detective work. Even blowing the image up it seems barely legible, but you're definitely right. And I'm betting you're right about that being only a beta version since I don't' think anyone else has mentioned receiving one with that version/date code showing.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    I don't recommend use of those magnets - they could dislodge while tightening the head, causing a potential short. And in any case, the extra height of the magnets would probably prevent activation on overly tall flat-top cells.
    well, at the beginning I acknowledged that advice and avoided flat-top cells. however I then found myself with lights and several flat-top cells that were incompatible - no contact, no light. So I purchased the small Lighthound magnets and have used them in 3 lights with multiple flat-top 18650 or flat-top 14500 cells with no problems. Oddly enough, all of the AW flat-top cells 18650 or 14500 have a lip which prevents the magnets from sliding too far off the + contact. I even have difficulties removing those magnets from the + contact for charging. For the 14500 flat-top cells, I have to place the magnets on the - end to charge the cells in a WF-138.

However, as always, YMMV, and caution and checking is always advised! I fried a Sunwayman V10a by inserting a cell backwards in the dark - no hope, and neither the dealer or Sunwayman would not sell another head. oh well, lesson learned!

Flashaholic*

Sorry for sliding even farther OT, but those little magnets solve a problem with some of the AA->D cell adapters when the nipple contact on the AA cell is too large for the adapter hole in the plastic case that makes contact with the next size up adapter. My doorbell and other devices are running nicely using a dozen or so of those little magnets.

Flashaholic

Mine was a 1.9 version. Its only problem was with the battery meter indicating 6.8 with AW 2900 cells fresh off a Pila charger. With them discharged to 3.6v, the meter indicated 5.8v. Sent it back & waiting for an exchange.

deleted
    Last edited by brightnorm; 01-04-2012 at 04:56 PM.

wow double post, duh.

Coke Zero and cream of celery!!! Gross!!

sweet review though, very thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by That guy View Post
    Coke Zero and cream of celery!!! Gross!!
    And in between, a black dispenser of white lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
    And in between, a black dispenser of white lightning.
    Well in North Carolina, way back in the hills
    Me and my old pappy had a hand in a still
    We brewed white lightnin' 'til the sun went down
    Then he'd fill him a jug and he'd pass it around
    Mighty, mighty pleasin, pappy's corn squeezin'
    Whshhhoooh . . . white lightnin'

Alex
    -Alex

I'll address this to Selfbuilt because his knowledge in these areas is pretty comprehensive.

TM11 Turbohead
    I believe a turbohead sold separately (or together at a discount) for this light could be a commercially viable option, similar to the Scorpion with its optional tubohead . Although it would make the TM11 longer and wider than the current model it would still be a remarkably small 2000L thrower.

Brightnorm
    Last edited by brightnorm; 01-04-2012 at 04:58 PM.

If someone is wondering what happens when your cells get depleted in this torch, here is your answer.
    Once the cells start going out, the torch will not allow you to go into turbo. From here, as your cells get further depleted, you will no longer be able to go into high, from there, it will keep you from going to medium, then once the cells are really low, the output on low drops smoothly into some type of moonlight mode. I think this graceful step-down is quite nice as it give you some time to get fresh cells into your torch. This works whether you are using the Li-ions or primary cells. Also, quick thing I forgot. My torch is V1.11-1110.
    Last edited by Dillo0; 01-04-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brightnorm View Post
    I believe a turbohead sold separately (or together at a discount) for this light could be a commercially viable option, similar to the Scorpion with its optional tubohead . Although it would make the TM11 longer and wider than the current model it would still be a remarkably small 2000L thrower.
    Hmmm, well, a turbohead model would be a whole new light really. Since the reflector is not removable in the current design, you would need to replace the entire head (which is >90% of the cost of the light, I'm sure). Turbohead options really only work when the guts of the light are common, and you can swap only a new reflector head (i.e. keep the same pill, emitter, etc).

I doubt it would be feasible to re-design a 3x emitter light with swappable reflectors anyway. To increase throw, you would likely need to purposefully design the space between emitters and their exact orientation to match a given multi-well reflector setup. It seems unlikely to me that only changing the reflector shape alone could drastically improve throw on multi-emitter setups.

If someone is wondering what happens when your cells get depleted in this torch, here is your answer.
    Once the cells start going out, the torch will not allow you to go into turbo. From here, as your cells get further depleted, you will no longer be able to go into high, from there, it will keep you from going to medium, then once the cells are really low, the output on low drops smoothly into some type of moonlight mode.
    Confirmed, mine did the same thing as the cell drained. At lower battery capacities remaining, the higher modes were sequentially disabled upon re-activation.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Thrunite Neutron 2014 - 2A 2C.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Hmmm, well, a turbohead model would be a whole new light really. Since the reflector is not removable in the current design, you would need to replace the entire head (which is >90% of the cost of the light, I'm sure). Turbohead options really only work when the guts of the light are common, and you can swap only a new reflector head (i.e. keep the same pill, emitter, etc)...
    Yes, that is what I meant - an entire separate turbohead. Since it would be swappable with the regular head buyers could buy one version and later buy the other head. It would be an expensive option but those willing to buy a TM11 in the first place might well consider that option.

Brightnorm

I really don't think the barrel of the torch is worth as much as the head with all those electronics. I think they should just release a thrower with a different name while retaining the stuff we like about this torch.

Other neat thing of note. When you put the torch in lock out mode, the light will display the voltage in the cells before entering lockout. This way, you can find the voltage of the cells without unscrewing the head. I just noticed that this is in the manual... I must have missed it the first time around.
    Last edited by Dillo0; 01-05-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Flashaholic*

I really don't think the barrel of the torch is worth as much as the head with all those electronics. I think they should just release a thrower with a different name while retaining the stuff we like about this torch.
    TMT, tiny monster thrower, sounds like TNT - i like that !

there is a lack - i.e. none, big power, multi emiter throwy lights its anoying.

Sysmax who makes the Tiny Munster, already has the Jetbeam RRT-3 Triple XM-L with bigger and deeper reflectors, and the three emitters more closely packed/spaced together to maximise throw, thus increasing throw from the TM's 283 meters to the RRT-3 Triple's 346 meters.

Furthermore, the RRT-3 Triple has the head and battery carrier built as one piece, with a separate tail cap, for superior thermal heat transfer/dispersion from the head to the body.
    By comparison, the TM has the battery carrier and tail cap as one piece, and the head separate from the battery carrier/tail cap unit, with silicone grease in between the threads, resulting in less efficient heat transfer from the head to the body, to disperse the heat for cooling - hence the TM suffers more from thermal cut off issues than the RRT-3 Triple.

The RRT-3 Triple also has a tail end switch for the overhand grip to hold the flashlight high to maximise the throw, but pity they have not updated the magnetic ring into the TM's side switch, which is so much easier to use one-handed in a large tubular diameter flashlight...
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 01-05-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Although the RRT-3 throws further than the TM11 it isn't a real thrower. The "TM11-T" would come closer to that goal because of a deeper and noticeably wider head.

Brightnorm

Presently Sysmax's TM11's head is 60mm in diameter, and total length 135mm long.
    Sysmax's RRT-3 Triple XM-L is 67mm in diameter, and 198mm long, such that it already has a larger, and deeper reflector, albeit with the three emitters more tightly packed together for greater throw too, and the head and battery carrier is a one-piece design for superior thermal conduction.
    Presently, most of the pure thrower heads like the single emitter Crelant 7G5, Olight SR51 & M3X and Sunway T40CS are around 60-63mm; smaller than the RRT-3 Triple XM-L's.
    I guess if the TM11-T had an even bigger head than 67mm, then it could throw further than the RRT-3 Triple XM-L - albeit still a flood-throw - a combination of flood and throw.

To get an idea of the gain, Selfbuilt has measured an SR92 Triple XM-L with a 98mm bezel diameter to throw 425 meters.
    A TK70 Triple XM-L with a 106mm bezel and relatively deeper reflectors, can throw even further than the SR92, but the lateral flood/spill is diminished due to the relatively deeper reflectors.
    However, these 100mm bezel diameters are really not large, but "oversized" lights.
    Just imagine a Tiny Munster 135mm long with a 106mm wide bezel diameter?

For outright throw, without the flooding, Saabluster [Michael] says that a single emitter will still out-throw a triple emitter, so it'd be very easy to turn the TM11 into a real thrower with a single emitter and new head, but the head is 90% of the flashlight anyway - so they could make a new head albeit new flashlight altogether, and save a little cost by sharing the same TM11 4x18650 in-parallel tubular battery carrier/body...
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 01-07-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Flashaholic*

my bad so there are a few maybe although none that takes my fancy ! Why has no one tried the surefire a2 setup, with all xml but one reflector........

The Surefire A2 Aviator has three led's on the periphery, surrounding the one xenon bulb, all in one reflector.
    Apparently, it was originally intended for pilots to make a half press of the tail end switch to have the three led's do low output for use inside the cockpit, then a full press would activate the xenon bulb for high output, to inspect the plane on the ground etc.
    This model is no longer in production..

Quote Originally Posted by peterharvey73 View Post
    Presently Sysmax's TM11's head is 60mm in diameter, and total length 135mm long.
    Sysmax's RRT-3 Triple XM-L is 67mm in diameter, and 198mm long, such that it already has a larger, and deeper reflector, albeit with the three emitters more tightly packed together for greater throw too, and the head and battery carrier is a one-piece design for superior thermal conduction.
    Presently, most of the pure thrower heads like the single emitter Crelant 7G5, Olight SR51 & M3X and Sunway T40CS are around 60-63mm; smaller than the RRT-3 Triple XM-L's.
    I guess if the TM11-T had an even bigger head than 67mm, then it could throw further than the RRT-3 Triple XM-L - albeit still a flood-throw - a combination of flood and throw.

To get an idea of the gain, Selfbuilt has measured an SR92 Triple XM-L with a 98mm bezel diameter to throw 425 meters.
    A TK70 Triple XM-L with a 106mm bezel and relatively deeper reflectors, can throw even further than the SR92, but the lateral flood/spill is diminished due to the relatively deeper reflectors.
    However, these 100mm bezel diameters are really not large, but "oversized" lights.
    Just imagine a Tiny Munster 135mm long with a 106mm wide bezel diameter?

For outright throw, without the flooding, Saabluster [Michael] says that a single emitter will still out-throw a triple emitter, so it'd be very easy to turn the TM11 into a real thrower with a single emitter and new head, but the head is 90% of the flashlight anyway - so they could make a new head albeit new flashlight altogether, and save a little cost by sharing the same TM11 4x18650 in-parallel tubular battery carrier/body...
    Excellent points.

Brightnorm

Excellent review! I've been wanting to get this light since the first time I saw it today but the only thing keeping me from placing an order is the flickering issue. Can I rest assured that if I were to purchase one now, it would have the revised circuit board and cause no problems? If the answer is yes, then I will be purchasing this light immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri Stephan View Post
    Can I rest assured that if I were to purchase one now, it would have the revised circuit board and cause no problems?
    Well, since the flickering issue was fixed before this review was published two months ago, it would seem likely that any lights in current retail channels would have the most recent version.

The only complaint I've seen about any of the recent versions is one that was posted a couple of days ago in the TM11 Malfunctions thread. A member got the latest version (assuming V1.11-1110 is the latest) and is having trouble with one of the emitters when in low mode...but I have a feeling that's likely an isolated problem.

Flashaholic

I placed an order for the TM11 last night...Woo Hoo! Should be getting it next week. I decided on this torch because of the great reviews and performance. I'll report back when I got my new flashlight in hand.