Phoenix Electroforms
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

Default Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Mine was extremely hard to pull through as well. Try shaping part of the cord that's about to enter the hole with your fingers prior to pulling.

Pliers are a good idea, but be sure at least a little bit of the cord has entered the hole. Otherwise you run the risk of tearing the threading wire.

Default Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

I posted here that the Fenix AOD-L diffuser fits really well onto the TM11. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Nitecore-TM11

I'll take some beam shots tomorrow, but I plan on using the diffuser more on my TM11 than on the TK41.

SDM44 -- the only thing I don't really like about an extended diffuser like that on a light as powerful as the TM11 (even used at lower levels) is that so much light shines right back into my eyes that part of the usefulness is nullified. I'm betting that you'd find a flat diffuser easier on the eye. I don't say this to knock this kind of diffuser, because they really do direct light all around and will really light up a space well...but quite often it's like looking directly at a light bulb.

What I've started doing with these kinds of wands is to cover part of the interior with reflective foil, which shields my eyes from most of the glare and at the same time directs more light outward away from me...and still retains the great diffusion without the blinding effect.

If interested, see this post in the Zebralight Mods thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3802038

In any case, it's great to know that the Fenix AOD-L diffuser fits the TM11 (another useful find).

Quote Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
    SDM44 -- the only thing I don't really like about an extended diffuser like that on a light as powerful as the TM11 (even used at lower levels) is that so much light shines right back into my eyes that part of the usefulness is nullified. I'm betting that you'd find a flat diffuser easier on the eye. I don't say this to knock this kind of diffuser, because they really do direct light all around and will really light up a space well...but quite often it's like looking directly at a light bulb.
    I will admit, it's really bright to look at if the light is next to you. But I found that if I place the light up high, like on top of the fridge when I was testing it in my kitchen last night, it disperses the light really well throughout the room and won't be in line with my eyes. I guess the trick for any light like that is to place it far enough away (or high enough) to where you're not having to look at it.

I want to now try the foil method and keep the light on the table top to see how that turns out.

SDM44 -- You're absolutely right that if using it lamp style (not hand held), it's not nearly as much of an issue in terms of glare in the eyes (depending on where you can place the light -- the higher the better, just as you did). And yeah -- experiment around with the reflective foil thing and see how it works. I'd like to hear what you think about it.

SDM44 -- You're absolutely right that if using it lamp style (not hand held), it's not nearly as much of an issue in terms of glare in the eyes (depending on where you can place the light -- the higher the better, just as you did). And yeah -- experiment around with the reflective foil thing and see how it works. I'd like to hear what you think about it.

I added some beam shots of the TM11 in a controlled environment in my post above. On the max setting, it's really bright and really lights up the entire area.

Besides the foil method, I'm also thinking of making some type of make-shift lamp shade so I can cover the TM11 up from blasting right into my eyes, but still allow for the light to escape through the top & bottom openings of the shade.

Flashaholic

Just received mine from Gun Safari today - v 1.12.1111, and its great!

As mentioned in the first post's update, the red light around the switch stays on all the time whilst in use.

Its day time now, but I can already say that at High "Daily" output (1100 lumens) it is noticeably brighter than my Torchlab Triple Neutral (1000 lumens) when performing ceiling bounce tests! I found that very interesting, even accounting for Cool White (TM11) vs Neutral White (Torchlab).

Also it appears that the throw is better than my Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L ... this is only judged by shining across my house onto an inside wall (as its day time) so its not accurate though. Maybe its just an illusion of the "mega lumens" put out by the TM11?

Cheers guys!
    d337944
    Last edited by d337944; 04-23-2012 at 01:43 AM.

What I've started doing with these kinds of wands is to cover part of the interior with reflective foil, which shields my eyes from most of the glare and at the same time directs more light outward away from me...and still retains the great diffusion without the blinding effect.

If interested, see this post in the Zebralight Mods thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3802038

In any case, it's great to know that the Fenix AOD-L diffuser fits the TM11 (another useful find).
    I suddenly have visions of people putting a wand style diffuser on their TM11 and then putting on a conventional lampshade (from a typical plugged in household light) to diffuse the beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    I suddenly have visions of people putting a wand style diffuser on their TM11 and then putting on a conventional lampshade (from a typical plugged in household light) to diffuse the beam.
    That's Standard Operating Procedure for all TM11 users. Read the manual.

Actually, for anyone using the TM11 in a room with a light-colored ceiling (especially in the whitish range like most painted ceilings), tail standing the TM11 for standard ceiling bounce will light up the entire room like a touchier lamp -- soft light everywhere in the room, no diffuser needed.

I've never handled a flashlight that lights up a room via ceiling bounce better than the TM11. It's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
    The Eagletac 3100's have a short button top similar to the short button Callies and work in revision 1.11.
    Thanks for all the input on the battery options. I picked up the EagleTac 3100's and they work great in the TM11 now.

Old batteries are relegated to junk lights, these EagleTacs work great in this high-draw setup.
    The Collection: Fenix TK35 XML| Fenix PD30 R4 | Lumintop TD-12 | Sunwayman V10R | Xtar MCE

Flashaholic

Update on my testing:

(1) I've tried International outdoor's version of the protected Panasonic 3100 batteries, and they fit and work perfectly! I only had two on hand - worked perfectly in parallel together - and have 6 more coming in the mail to make up two groups of four. Excellent prices for non-USA people, as the standard shipping is free!

(2) The Type III anodizing on the TM11 is total junk I must say. I brought a few flashlights out the back to test - TM11, Hound Dog XM-L, and a Torchlab triple in an FM host - and during handling they accidentally knocked about (not hard) together. The ONLY flashlight that came away with a few ano chips was the TM11! Worse still, before that I have a small flake of ano come off on the TAIL end of the TM11, I'm assuming from simply tailstanding a few times only on the kitchen bench as I'd definitely not knocked it against anything yet! So much so for "Tiny Monster" ... more like "Tiny Princess" ... handle with kid gloves if you don't this flashlight chipping everywhere.

Still very impressed by the performance and design ... just less so now with the finish.

Cheers
    d337944
    Last edited by d337944; 04-24-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Hi,
    I dunno if it has been mentioned in this 17 page thread but can anyone tell me what would be the Max output using just 2 CR123s?
    I have my light and I don't have my 18650s yet so I tried it using 2 CR123s and I wanna get a relative reading on how much is this and wht would it generate on full power untill I get my hands on my batteries,

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jalal20 View Post
    Hi,
    I dunno if it has been mentioned in this 17 page thread but can anyone tell me what would be the Max output using just 2 CR123s?
    When I tried using 2 Surefire CR123 batteries in my TM11, to my eyes (nothing exact) the Max output really looked no different than using 4 x 18650 3100mAH batteries. Albeit, the CR123's sure won't last long at all running on Max mode like that, but the the light was extremely bright still with just 2 of them. Same output (again from what I could tell) with just using 1 x 18650 compared to all 4 x 18650's.

Quote Originally Posted by SDM44 View Post
    When I tried using 2 Surefire CR123 batteries in my TM11, to my eyes (nothing exact) the Max output really looked no different than using 4 x 18650 3100mAH batteries. Albeit, the CR123's sure won't last long at all running on Max mode like that, but the the light was extremely bright still with just 2 of them. Same output (again from what I could tell) with just using 1 x 18650 compared to all 4 x 18650's.
    I think you are right when it comes to the day light modes, But I found the Turbo mode to be exactly as the high mode in the Daylight modes so probably the turbo mode needs all 4 18650s. I will have to wait to be sure

Yes, the TM11 regulates it output levels well - they are the same no matter what the battery source type or number of cells.

But I would warn everyone not to try running the higher outputs on just one or two cells. In the case of ICR 1x18650, Turbo would damage the cell by over-draining (unless it is an IMR cell that can handle it). But on 2xCR123A, Turbo would be bound to trigger the PTC safety circuits within a few minutes - that is not something you want to do intentionally! In addition to definitely damaging your cells, the thermal runaway in the PTC could theoretically cause heat-damage to the TM11 (i.e., a CR123A's PTC is located right below the positive contact button, near the head).
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 04-24-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight M18 Striker.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Has anyone tried the TM 11 in a holster from Maxpedition? Anything that fit?

I posted here that the Fenix AOD-L diffuser fits really well onto the TM11. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Nitecore-TM11

I'll take some beam shots tomorrow, but I plan on using the diffuser more on my TM11 than on the TK41.

I just got my diffuser 6.59 from amazon cant go wrong

Flashaholic

I just set up a Nitecore TM11 to operate on Non-Protected #18650 Panasonics 3100mah cells that I sell.

(not a fan of protection circuits)

I added some 3mm magnets to the negative pole of the 18650 cells.

This gave me the 68mm height for proper operation.

Great flood and pretty good beam even on two cells.

LEDite
    UV Lights, Panasonic 3400mah #18650 cells available

I placed an ordered yesterday for the TM11 in gunsafari with the promo code, $150 shipped for 1.12 and recieved shipping comfirm today. Awesome

very nice review ,thanks

is the latest revision/version the same number for NW, CW?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

HELP! HELP! HELP!

Where can I get a replacement lens? What's the size? Thanks!

I accidentally drop a book on top of it while tail standing. Now it's in a sealed container and not using it. ..
    Pick the pooch!

Quote Originally Posted by don.gwapo View Post
    HELP! HELP! HELP!

I accidentally drop a book on top of it while tail standing. Now it's in a sealed container and not using it. ..
    Email Nitecore, and they will quote for you the cost of repair, and return postage...

Thanks, selfbuilt, for the awesome, thorough review. And to everyone else who posted with thoughts and opinions. I finally caved and ordered one, assured that it was the most cuttent version. I like the 2 1/2 hour 1100lm. high mode with no stepdown, and turbo as needed. Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    ... Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about!
    You'll love it. What has surprised me about this light is how good it feels in my hand. Maybe because I've held so many cans in my hand over my lifetime! If you don't need the extra throw then I'd have no idea why anybody would buy anything bigger and heavier.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Thanks, selfbuilt, for the awesome, thorough review. And to everyone else who posted with thoughts and opinions. I finally caved and ordered one, assured that it was the most cuttent version. I like the 2 1/2 hour 1100lm. high mode with no stepdown, and turbo as needed. Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about!
    Yep you'll love this one! I've had mine about 3 weeks now, and the other day had it running about 3.5 HOURS on 1100 lumens to light up a room - got very warm but easily hand-holdable! I use 4 x 3100 mah batteries for long lasting power.

Cheers
    d337944

HELP! HELP! HELP!

If you want something that will work in the interim, you can screw any standard 58mm photo filter onto the TM11.

Lots of camera equipment stores sell second-hand filters cheap (some stores will have a bin full of various old/second-hand filters).

A 58mm sky filter (basically a clear filter) would work just fine.

This is a red filter I've been toying with on mine.

The TM11 bezel will even screw right onto the photo filter, if desired.

@peterharvey73, I already email Nitecore but they haven't reply for a week or so now. I also contacted many dealers and say they don't have a replacement lens.

@varuscelli, Thanks! I will definitely try that so that I can use my light again. I'm also been thinking the Eagletac diffuser but would try your suggestion first.
    Pick the pooch!

@peterharvey73, I already email Nitecore but they haven't reply for a week or so now. I also contacted many dealers and say they don't have a replacement lens.

@varuscelli, Thanks! I will definitely try that so that I can use my light again. I'm also been thinking the Eagletac diffuser but would try your suggestion first.
    Another idea that you might look into is that some places that do glass cutting (like frame shops) will have circular glass cutters. A place like that might just be able to cut you a new lens for a few dollars if you bring the broken one in as a template for sizing. That would likely be cheaper than having something shipped. My guess is that having a new lens cut should cost you less than $5 USD as long as you can find a place that has the right kind of glass cutter.

You might also try here, formally very active on CPF:
    http://www.flashlightlens.com/index.php

Brightnorm