• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Vote here if you are interested in a 2 mode resistored pill

manoloco

Enlightened
A few days ago i posted that maybe Peak flashlights owners might be interested in a 2 mode resistored pill to fit inside existing models, specially QTC models since they already have space to fit such a pill, i just made this poll because some users presented interest and i am curious to see how many of us are there and maybe someone would take interest in making a good, reliable, very good operation and feedback pill and sell it.

Curt maybe we can interest you to do it?

edit: i would choose between 5-10 lumens for low

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curt maybe we can interest you to do it?

edit: i would choose between 5-10 lumens for low

If he responds on here, good luck. He logs onto CPF on a daily basis and consciously ignores posts right here in his own forum.

If it ever came about, I would be interested in a 5-10 lumen low as well.

Last edited:

Viper715

Enlightened
I would be in for one. Whichever level is chosen is good for me but lower is better.

A side note/question would this be a similar design to a twist for low twist more for high similar to surefire L1/A2/LX2 design? If so would it infringe on their patents or be enough different or not apply at all. Just curious I'd hate to see Peak do something that would threaten their longevity and risk litigation.

manoloco

Enlightened
I would be in for one. Whichever level is chosen is good for me but lower is better.

A side note/question would this be a similar design to a twist for low twist more for high similar to surefire L1/A2/LX2 design? If so would it infringe on their patents or be enough different or not apply at all. Just curious I'd hate to see Peak do something that would threaten their longevity and risk litigation.

totally different design, its even an optional part, even operation would differ as the twist on the Surefires is in the tailcap, this one is in the head.

Also this wouldnt be the first time a 2 mode light is made, there are many in the market.

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok maybe, but would you care to elaborate why is that you think so?, maybe theres something else in development that we dont know about and you do?

I have to agree with FatRat on this one - Peak already offers a QTC line-up that allows the user infinite control over the brightness levels.

I don't disagree that it'd be nice to have a 2-level Peak, but I know that any new product requires not only a dream (which is where we're at now) but also: development, testing, production, sales/marketing, shipping, warranty and ongoing support.

If you're pretty hardcore on getting this done, my suggestion would be to create the product yourself. We know how many different aftermarket modification options are available for P60 Surefire hosts - why not some modification options for Peak flashlights?

manoloco

Enlightened
I have to agree with FatRat on this one - Peak already offers a QTC line-up that allows the user infinite control over the brightness levels.

I don't disagree that it'd be nice to have a 2-level Peak, but I know that any new product requires not only a dream (which is where we're at now) but also: development, testing, production, sales/marketing, shipping, warranty and ongoing support.

If you're pretty hardcore on getting this done, my suggestion would be to create the product yourself. We know how many different aftermarket modification options are available for P60 Surefire hosts - why not some modification options for Peak flashlights?

I agree that QTC makes the light more versatile than a 2 mode light, i know this because i have 4 QTC models and i use them, i also know by that use that operation isnt exact after some time of use, what we would like to have is that exactness in operation as another option in the shape of a 2 mode resistored pill, theres a big difference in the force and exactness of contact between a QTC model and a single modemodel.

i am thinking of doing one myself, problem is lack of time, tools and machinery, what i can produce is a homemade pill which i can not account for reliability over time, i could however design one and someone else fabricate the parts.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast

QTC isn't quite as ideal as you may think it is. On paper there is infinite variability, but in reality the material gets some wear and tear and ramping isn't so smooth anymore. In fact it can be erratic at times and very difficult to control. Manoloco brings up a great point in that it lacks consistency to keep it on a desired level of output. If you own a Peak with QTC you will immediately see why this is a problem.

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
QTC isn't quite as ideal as you may think it is. On paper there is infinite variability, but in reality the material gets some wear and tear and ramping isn't so smooth anymore. In fact it can be erratic at times and very difficult to control. Manoloco brings up a great point in that it lacks consistency to keep it on a desired level of output. If you own a Peak with QTC you will immediately see why this is a problem.

Like I said, I'm not here to tear the idea down, just provide a probable reason why you won't hear from Curt on it.

I was lucky and snagged one of Oveready's recent Nichia 119 QTC Eigers so I know what you're talking about with the ramping being jittery. I don't particularly like it and I've already crushed the terminals on 2 batteries trying to get full brightness out of the pill, but it works well enough most of the time.

I'm more worried about the 40DD I ordered - it also uses QTC but doesn't have it encapsulated in a nice little pill like the Peak's do. I can already picture it getting flipped around, smashed and bent in half by the battery. That said, Steve has a VERY fine thread pitch on his light, which will probably result in a lot smoother levels than I'm getting out of my Eiger.

manoloco

Enlightened
thing is it becomes more jittery with time, still practical, but not so comfortable as when new, or close to new.

the poll is not only for Curt to make the pill (it would be ideal if he made it and sold it via Oveready or RMSK), but to see how many of Peak owners are interested in this and if someone that has the tools to make them is interested.

In any case i think we can discuss here the possibilities of making one while figuring out if the choice is of interest.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO the #1 user interface ever made is a simple McGizmo PD. Based on rear piston preasure low, then high with more preasure. The peaks work the same way, but due to a QTC vs. a 2 modes. The QTC is not as consistant.

All I want is 100% consistant and repeatable low. like a McGizmo PD or Surefire L1.

Then the twistie bezel for permanent on is nice. No switches to break or burn.

bigc

sassaquin

Enlightened
A low of 5 to 10 lumens would be great. This looks very promising and I hope it comes to life.
Maybe Oveready has some ideas on how to make this happen, they seem to have more Peak products lately and might have an "in" with Curt.:)

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigchelis just read my mind!

A low of 5 to 10 lumens would be great. This looks very promising and I hope it comes to life.
Maybe Overready has some ideas on how to make this happen, they seem to have more Peak products lately and might have an "in" with Curt.
smile.gif

You bring up a very strong point, hopefully OR can make it happen!!

Last edited:

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
All I want is 100% consistant and repeatable low. like a McGizmo PD or Surefire L1.

Then the twistie bezel for permanent on is nice. No switches to break or burn.

bigc

Boy, bigchelis hit the nail on the head! I too first want 100% consistency. I love the concept but the random jumping and skipping of levels ticks me off. Personally, I would rather any initial efforts to focus on fine tuning or perfecting the technology. Then, we could move on to a two stage functionality.

However, good luck with any of this happening.

manoloco

Enlightened
Boy, bigchelis hit the nail on the head! I too first want 100% consistency. I love the concept but the random jumping and skipping of levels ticks me off. Personally, I would rather any initial efforts to focus on fine tuning or perfecting the technology. Then, we could move on to a two stage functionality.However, good luck with any of this happening.

Actually i think the other way around because if you reach perfection with QTC and infinitely variable ramping with good operation force, then 2 modes would be VERY obsolete, when i proposed this idea (which was inspired by mwclint(?) and another CPF user who made resistored momentary switches) the idea was to have this as parallel option taking advantage of the extra internal space that the QTC models already have, in the form of a resistored pill.

Since its really easy to make (i did it with a MCTC 2 mode pcb and made a spring similar to McGizmo´s kilroy switch, it worked, but i cant account for its reliability as the pcb design was not for this use, and also everything added was a bit tall, exposing the head thread o-ring. it was smooth though and i thing it does work as everyone that voted yes here is imagining.

i did that in 20 minutes (most of it was about bending the spring to the correct shape and size and finding the parts) then soldering to the pcb and then soldering a little thin metal disk so the momentary can push the whole PCB too.

I would prefer a part specifically designed for Peak lights and with parts and optimize materials for it.

Let me tell you: the momentary switch is PERFECT with this kind of setup, i really mean it, it is much better than the Surefire L1 switch which i considered almost perfect to operate. in the Peak, the operation force, the feedback, the feeling, the return and the size are better; the Peak momentary is also a much more robust stronger switch.the twist of course is really good too.

Last edited: