Looking for two different types of flashlight.

Xevus

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I'm looking to buy two different flashlight - one for everyday use at home, one as emergency light source in my car. Here is my answers to checklist.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

Online from Amazon or Ebay.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Around $50 each.

3) Format:

Compact flashlight and i'd guess lantern size flashlight with carry handle, i.e. something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-1046-LED-Lantern-Battery/dp/B001PII7RE/

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED

6) Manufacturer:

I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

Alkaline batteries for bigger light, since i don't plan to use it often

Rechargeable nickel or lithium for smaller light.

Smaller light - I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
Bigger light - I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

Smaller light - Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
Bigger light - 5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

Don't really care for smaller light.
Bigger light -
90-120 minutes

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

I had Streamlight LED flashlight with AAAs, but it broke (switch cap, which even cannot be disassembled) after less than a year of casual usage, so i would like something more reliable.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

Whatever is more reliable, see previous answer.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

None

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Xevus,
Let me get you started in the right direction. There are lots of lights to choose from, and you can narrow the field by choosing a battery type.

For the emergency light for your car you will want a lithium AA battery (or two). Alkaline batteries can leak if left unused in a flashlight for long periods, ruining the light, AND, they lose their charge fairly quickly, especially when exposed to the temperature extremes found in cars, while a lithium battery will hold it's charge quite well for up to 10 years, and won't leak in your light. Yes, they are more expensive, but it could make the difference as to whether your light works or not in the event you need it.

Batteries something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00003IEME/?tag=cpf0b6-20

For your daily use around the house light you should consider a AA rechargeable cell of some type, as it will save you money in the long run, and by allowing you to charge it frequently you'll always know you have a fresh battery ready to go.

The easiest and way to get started with rechargeable batteries is with a set of AA Eneloop batteries and a charger, such as this relatively inexpensive package:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RP2VNI/?tag=cpf0b6-20

By standardizing your batteries as AA (lithium and rechargeable), you can always use readily available AA alkaline cells in a pinch if needed.

I'd recommend a light that uses two AA batteries, as it will give you twice the runtime and is generally easier to hold.

There are MANY 2xAA lights available, including a Maglight 2xAA LED. Spend some time looking around this forum and reading up on them. Pay attention to the UI (user interface), as how it operates can help you decide which light to choose. Some turn on in high, some turn on in low, and some let you choose. Some have side switches and some have switches on the end of the light. Some have better warranties than others.

Some brand names to look for..... Fenix, 4 Sevens, Eagletac, Jetbeam, etc.

Here are some excellent flashlight review sites:
http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html
http://www.flashlightreviews.ca
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews UK.html

And here is an excellent site to learn all about batteries:
Battery University:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

I'm sure other folks will chime in with specific recommendations for lights. Don't be in a hurry. Keep reading and pretty soon you'll begin to see which lights will fit your needs.

Chidwack

Enlightened
You have lots of options. There are a couple of lights that will fulfill most of your stated wants/needs in just one light. Here are three for less than $40.

Jetbeam BA 20

Klarus P2A

Both of these are very similar and use 2AA batteries and have the same UI and similar brightness on high and low settings.

This one will give you more choices of brightness for about the same price with the option of using one CR123 battery if you want to make it smaller.
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-196/***NEW***-ShiningBeam-Spark-/Detail

Welcome to the site and good luck.

LGT

Enlightened
I would also look to buy from a reputable dealer instead of amazon or ebay. If any problems arise with the light you buy, customer service from one of these dealers will be quite helpful as to a minor adjustment you need to make, or how to return for a replacement.

mrlysle

Enlightened
+1 on the recommendation for lithium batteries for your car, and +1 on the recommendation for the AA format. You'll simplify your inventory immensely, and always have cells for your lights. The AA format has come a LONG way recently, both in output, AND runtime. If your looking for a good, and more importantly, USEFUL flashlight for around the house and for your car, there's just tons of good choices out there in AA format! Good luck in your search and :welcome:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the small flashlight look at the Quark MiNis. You screw the body in until the front touches the head. No switch to break.
-
Quark MiNi AA, R5 Edition 1AA.
Low: 2.7 OTF lumens, 60 hours
Medium: 25 OTF lumens, 8 hours
High: 90 OTF lumens, 1.3 hours
$39.00 at 4sevens.com free shipping, $37 at Amazon.
-
Quark MiNi AA², R5 Edition 2AA. 5 inches long. Will sit vertically in pants back pocket but not in front pocket. May double as your big light.
Low: 3.0 OTF lumens, 3.4 days
Medium: 36 OTF lumens, 8.8 hours
High: 180 OTF lumens, 1.7 hours
$43.00 at 4sevens.com free shipping, $57 at Amazon.

-----

lantern size flashlight with carry handle, i.e. something like this
amazon/Dorcy-41-1046-LED-Lantern-Battery
Bigger light - I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
Bigger light - 90-120 minutes
-
Here are the specs for the Dorcy 13 LED
Lumens: 40 Lumens
Run Time: 40 Hours
Beam Distance: 165 Feet
Bulb Type: 13 LED's
Batteries: 6 Volt Included
-
The problem with the lights with the carrying handle is they use that brick of a 6 volt battery. And unless you find a very bright 6V Xenon or Krypton bulb is not very bright. They are usually spotlights, reach out very far but the narrow beam may make it difficult to sweep a backyard.

If you can forgo the handle you can get a MAGLITE 2-D Cell LED Flashlight,
There are 3 generations of the MagLED.
1) Luxeon III emitters, also available in the "dropin" module which could be purchased separately
2) Rebel emitters
3) XP-E emitters, available contemporaneously with the Rebel
More info here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?304266-Maglite-LED-now-using-Cree-XP-E
Amazon only shows the out of date 3 watt LED version. Its only advantage is it can be upgraded easily (but the upgrades are very costly)

If the reason you want the big flashlight is that it won't roll there is the Dorcy 41-4750 180 Lumen 4AA. $15.99-$17.50 at Amazon
Specs:
Lumens: 190
Run Time: 5 Hours
Beam Distance: 275 Meters
Bulb Type: LED
Batteries: 4 AA Included
Product Dimensions: 7.8" L X 1.5" W
Bezel Diameter: 2.25"
Weight 6.8 oz with batteries 3.4 oz without
Its plastic so probably won't last as long as the Maglite.

-----

Quark MiNi AA2 left, Dorcy 41-4750 180 Lumen right.
MiNi-AA2-Dorcy-180-lumen-size.jpg

Beamshot: Quark MiNi AA2 left, Dorcy 41-4750 180 Lumen right. Note both lights are 180 lumens. You can get a wider dimmer spot or a brighter smaller spot.
MiNi-AA2-vs-Dorcy-180-lumen.jpg

Xevus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot everyone! I think i'm settled about smaller light (either JetBeam or Klarus), but still looking for bigger light. The reason i said "lantern type with handle" is that this type usually has big reflector and thus wider spot. Dorcy above seems ok, but i'd prefer something closer to 300 lumens.

Chidwack

Enlightened
There is another light that might do what you want for a larger light. It's a little bit more money but it has very high output for a smaller light that can be used as a every day carry light.
Shiningbeam Blaze
Uses one 18650 rechargeable battery or two CR123 batteries. High mode is 720 lumens, Medium mode is 400 lumens and a low mode of 15 lumens. Feels great in the hand and this light seems to be built with the quality and performance of lights costing twice as much. Bryan at Shiningbeam has done a wonderful job with what he says is his first professional grade light.
A couple of things really have impressed me with this light. First incredible amount of light it puts out on both the high and medium mode, and the fact that this light still has decent throw out to 150 yards or so. This smallish light surpasses some of the much larger handheld lanterns I have had in the past that used the big 6 volt batteries.
It's a lot of light for $58 plus shipping.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you want a light with a big reflector. Suggest browsing the spotlight sub forum.

Even the 1 million candlepower spotlights are very bright for $15. Beats my 700 lumen SSC-P7 Mag easy.
Heavy though because of the lead acid battery. Comes with shoulder strap.

Coleman makes a 3LED version. 530 or 555 lumens depending if you get an older or newer one.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...as-anyone-tried-the-new-Coleman-LED-Spotlight
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?207639-Rechargeable-handheld-spotlight

-----

Now if you want a really bright light with a wide beam.
p1000031resizeji1named.jpg

The one on the chair. Tebore complained of a sore back for a week after.