Review: Zebralight H600

psybadeck

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
just some weeks after ordering, and less than 2 weeks after sending confirmation I received my H600 today.
Info: I am from Germany, the package came from China.
I promised to write a short review. (Same on a German Forum)
Here we go:

I will keep it short, since I am no litterateur.

Usage: Typical Zebralight UI. I really like it.
The low setting is really very low, just as I like it.
The High is really really high. Much more than my other lights. (e.g. Zebralight H31)
The light levels are evenly spread.
The mix of spot and spill is really perfect. Enough spill for universal usage, good spot for distance.
The color ist white-yellow in the spot and getting blue-white in the spill. During normal usage you won't even recognize this.

Scope of supply:
Typical Zebralight also in this area:
Headlamp, spare-o-rings, strap. Nothing else!

Quality is perfect, just as I am used to it when thinking of Zebralight lamps.

Battery:
Flat-Top Sanyos are working well, there is a spring inside.
Inner tube diameter is 18,65mm. (The red Sanyo's fit perfect)

Switch:
Is somewhat deeper in the body and needs quite a bit force. I think unwanted switching is hardly possible. Nevertheless the lockout by unscrewing the tailcap is still possible.

The headstrap is slightly changed compared to my older H31 for example. One side of the rubber strap is thicker than the other. I really don't know what might be the reason for this, maybe some improvement in stability on the head???
Time will show that.

Conclusion: I really like it. Have been searching for something like that quite a while!

Photos:
Unboxing:
smallh600unboxing.jpg

Strap:
smallh600strap.jpg

LED:
smallh600led.jpg

Tube:
smallh600innertube.jpg

Flattop is ok:
smallh600flattopok.jpg

Beamshot H600 Turbo (750 lm):
smallh600750lm.jpg

Beamshot H600 420 lm:
smallh600420lm.jpg

Compare it: Zebralight H31 220 lm:
smallh31220lm.jpg

Compare it: Zebralight H31 120 lm:
smallh31120lm.jpg

Compare it: Eagletac D25LC2 Neutral White Turbo:
smalleagletacd25lc2nwtu.jpg

Cheers!
Psybadeck

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any comments on heat at the highest setting? I've wondered for some time now how an 18650 headlamp this lightweight would do as far as the body heating up is concerned. Tried any extended runtime with it? And I mean that just in terms of 5 to 10 minutes, since I know the turbo supposedly cuts back after 3 minutes, if I understand correctly.

psybadeck

Newly Enlightened
You are right. It cuts back in one visible step after 3 minutes (time not checked).
Within these 3 minutes it gets significantly hot. I did not measure temperature, but the doctor would send you definetly to hospital! :)
Heat transfer seems good, since you can feel it warming up just seconds after switching on.

Maybe I will be able to measure this evening. I should have a thin type K TC somewhere.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, psybadeck. My follow-up is to ask if you feel the heat while wearing it on the headband.

Does the holder keep you from sensing heat from the lamp or do you feel any kind of radiant heat at all?

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Mine is Coming.

I've been reading the UI info on their website and its giving me a headache...

Can you tell me how I would permanantly set it to turn on at 270 lumen..something about six double clicks and clicking on the seventh.

I will be using 420 lumen and 270 lumen primarily

psybadeck

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
that's not a big deal:
Just configure H2 to 270 (that is the 6 doubleclick thing) and one fast click will start it at either 270 or turbo-420 after 3 minutes, depending on what has been used before.
A simple doubleclick will change between those two then.

psybadeck

Newly Enlightened
Edit:
Doublepost caused by network problems.
Sorry

Last edited:

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
thanks!

just giving me a headache thinking about it...probably alot simpler once i have the HL.

so 6 dbl clicks after 1 single click to turn on then a single click for 270 then a dbl click
to get it to 420 and a dbl click to get it back to 270 and its set for good?

psybadeck

Newly Enlightened
No!
One time after receiving the lamp, you will have to programm it. (The 6 doubleclick thing).
After this first initial programming, it is just one short click to start it at 270 lm or turbo (which will go down to 420 after 3 minutes)

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI looks confusing on paper, but with the light in your hand it becomes intuitive very quick. There are two highs (H1 & H2.) The second high (H2) has multiple options, and any of those options can be programmed into the H2 position which will not change unless you reprogram it. So to program H2 you first turn the light on in the H2 setting. Then do 6 double clicks, and the light enters into program mode. Once in program mode you can then double click through each of the available settings. When you land on the one you like simply stop. You can turn the light off, and it will remember which setting you programmed into the H2 position (even if you change the battery out it will remember.)

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I think, based on other ZebraLights, that the programming to get it to perform exactly like you want might be considered just slightly complex. At the same time, I can see where the provided ZebraLight instructions make it sound more complex than it is.

Everyday use (even if used as is right out of the box) should be simple, just as other ZebraLight headlamps.

It's only when you want to tweak each setting to personal preferences that you have to make any special effort and read/follow the more detailed instructions.

One of the things I found of interest was forum member samgab's flowchart and accompanying video for the SC600. He demonstrates the multiple double click thing for the SC600 in an way that seems much more understandable than the ZebraLight instructions. The flowchart might look intimidating, but it's really not -- especially if you watch the accompanying video. Seeing that might give people a perspective of all the double-click, six double-clicks (etc.) instructions. I'm assuming it's very similar for the H600.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...aLight-SC600&p=3758379&viewfull=1#post3758379

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the first review of the H600 as far as I know! If you could I would love to see a youtube vid of the light in action :)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for fine review. I'm curious if there is a way to open the front cover of this light for changing the LED or adding filters?

I'm surprised to see that no clip is included.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've thrown some ideas around on the clip issue in another thread, and one possibility might be kind of like happened with the SC600 in that the first run did not include the clip but later a clip was made available. Lack of a clip does seem a strange omission unless ZebraLight has good reasoning behind it. Maybe they got antsy about getting something into the hands of customers and are still waiting on the clips (or some similar situation).

One of the thought processes on the part of ZL might have been that IF this lamp gets really hot and IF a clip is provided, then someone might use the clip in a front shirt pocket with the lamp in Turbo mode and singe their chest hairs off. Perhaps ZL wanted to nip that potential problem in the bud by omitting the clip... :whistle: (That's only half joking.)

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious if there is a way to open the front cover of this light for changing the LED or adding filters?

It sure doesn't look like there's an easy way of opening it up (and I'm eyeballing one up close right now).

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, psybadeck. My follow-up is to ask if you feel the heat while wearing it on the headband.

Does the holder keep you from sensing heat from the lamp or do you feel any kind of radiant heat at all?

OK -- I can answer my own question now.

Yes, this lamp gets pretty darned hot on the high setting.

But when in the headband holder, I don't sense the heat.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the size feel when it is on your head...?

Kind of like wearing a kielbasa or bratwurst strapped to you head (hot off the grill, too).

Actually, I posted something kind of detailed in the bigger ZebraLight H600(w) XM-L 750 Lm thread about the "flopping" issue some have brought up related to larger ZebraLight headlamps and the silicon holders they use. I'm using a different threading method for the headband that seems to get rid of most of the flopping concern.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-XM-L-750-Lm&p=3798419&viewfull=1#post3798419

Also, wearing it for a short time is not a problem at all. But what I don't know is how comfortable something this size will be for extended wear. At the same time, I believe this is one of the lighter weight headlamps in its class (18650 headlamps), if I'm not mistaken. So in a relative sense, I can't see it as being any worse than other similar headlamps.