Need Help, looking for a Keychain and general house flashlight

lobsta

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys, Brand new to the site. I find it a little overwhelming to start. What brought me here is my search for a couple of flashlights. I have been reading older posts which could have slightly outdated results, so figured I would post something new. I am looking specifically for 2 different lights. One for my keychain which I find I occasionally use. Preference for something smaller and not very heavy, but bright enough where I wont regret not having something bigger. The second would be the general light for the house (keep it in a kitchen drawer). Something capable of significant light but again AA batteries (most likely rechargeable). Ideally each light would be at or around $50, I dont mind spending more on the general light if I can justify the quality. I like the idea of being able to focus the light for different needs. Any and all advice is more than welcome.

LGT

Enlightened
For a keychain light, check out the ITP A3 EOS. It has three modes1.5,18 and 80 lumens. A nice little light that runs on AAA sized batteies. Can be had for about fifteen to twenty bucks, leaving you with a little more to spend on the throw in the draw light.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi lobsta, welcome to CPF.

I personally like the iTP A3 EOS AAA light as a small keychain light. It has excellent run time vs battery consumption for its size and has 3 modes and fairly inexpensive. You'll find a lot of people like it on CPF. Olight now sells it as the i3. My wife carries one in her purse. I also pretty much limit my lights to ones that will run on the Eneloop AA and AAA batteries. I know a lot of people on here like the CR123A lights. I'm considering getting a single CR123A light at some point just to have.

A kitchen light in my opinion doesn't need to be real expensive as it gets kind of beat up with such things as taking it into the garage and working on the car. So I'd limit it to a double AA light like a iTP SA2. I love that light and have given all my kids one plus the son-in-laws. I also have the Olight T25T and like the beam pattern better but the iTP has a button which I like better than the twisting heads for changing modes.

Just some thoughts. As an EE, I found that the lights that I keep have to have well regulated efficient driver circuits in order for me to like them or even keep them. Also I prefer lights with the XP-G R5 rather than the older Q5 because I did not like the tighter hot spot to the Q5 and bluer tint.

Last edited:

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Depends on what you consider a keychain flashlight to be. Some people (myself included) might not want a big heavy light on their keychain, and for those types the Photon series of lights are all fantastic.

They weigh under 6 grams, and are smaller than the size of a U.S. quarter. The Photon II is my favorite, as it's a no-hassle single mode light. This is the best keychain light IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006I4Y2/?tag=cpf0b6-20

If you're the type that doesn't mind the size and weight of an AAA/AA powered light on your keychain, then the aforementioned ITP A3 EOS are great and they're very affordable.

davecroft

Enlightened
I keep recommending this light - Fenix E11. Good for round the house use, substantial feel and solid build, useful light levels on both modes, is excellent as a candle during power cuts - beats a couple of my 150+ lumen lights for ceiling bounce. (However you will have to prop it up or stick it in a cup or something as the tail switch prevents tailstanding:shrug:) If you want a larger light with more output, the 2 AA version, E21 is another option.

The Fenix E01 and E05 are well respected keychain lights and well worth a look.

If you want multi-modes, strobes, firefly etc, you will have to look elsewhere though. And if you do want a focusable light then Led Lenser might be one of your few options.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

JacobJones

Enlightened
+1 for the ITP A3 EOS. If tailstanding is important to you though have a look at the olight i3 (same light with minor changes), but the olight is a little larger and it's pocket clip isn't reversible.

Chidwack

Enlightened
Another vote for the iTP A3 E0S. The only time this little light isn't with me is when I don't have any clothes on. It's always in my shirt pocket and it's so small and light weight I have to feel for it to see if it's still there. It always puts a smile on my face when using it in a dark room. Amazing amount of light for it's size and for such a small amount of money. You gotta love it.

dmkatz76

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree with the consensus - theA3 EOS is perfectly sized for a keychain, easily twists on and off, and is even available in a single mode version if you're looking for simplicity. And it is a great value.

Faynard

Newly Enlightened
+3 for the iTP - however, a few things to keep in mind.
There is the 'regular' version that is only single mode - be sure to get the "upgraded" version.
Maratac's aaa light from Countycomm is basically the exact same light, specs wise - but the body is a bit different. I have one in copper and prefer the knurling on countycomm's version - plus, it can tailstand if that is important to you. The clip is similar to the iTP, but the body is made so that the clip is reversible. The iTP clip CAN be reversed, but because of the body shape you'll booger up the anodizing on the head (I personally don't care, as my iTP is my beater/loaner/spare).
Olight recently took over iTP, and there is now the Olight i3. Again, REALLY similar but slightly different body design. This one can tailstand as well, but the keychain attachment is not ideal -it hangs really odd on the keychain. It does, however, have a great bolted-on clip. The caveat to this clip though is that it is not reversible.