How bright is bright enough for a road bike?

alms

Newly Enlightened
This year I've got back into riding: in town there's enough lights to get by with just a blinker, but longer trips (2-3 hours) are getting increasingly unpleasant. The course is for the most part lit (albeit scantily) but there are some short stretches (2-3 kilometers each) where it is pitch black.

I've been researching lights for some time now and the Philips bike light would seem just perfect for me: plenty of light in a shaped beam. The price however is too steep for my already stretched budget. I've been looking for something more affordable that still does a satisfactory job, but I lack the experience to figure which ones really are satisfactory out there on the streets.

I put together a list of lights that are readily accessible to me and whose price isn't too close to that of the Philips:

Bike lights: Sigma Pava (100 lm/25 lx, 50 €). B+M Ixon IQ (40 lx, 60 €).
Headlamps: Led Lenser H7 (174 optimistic lm, 50 €). Petzl Myo XP (85 lm, 65 €). Magicshine MJ-838 (200? lm, 65 €)

Is any of these bright enough?
or should I just bite the bullet and wait for one of those cheap zillion lm bike lamps to be shipped over to me from DX?

Last edited:

bbb74

Enlightened
The ones you listed don't have enough lumens. Really I wouldn't go for less than ~400 lumens total. (You can get this by using 2 x 200lumens lights if necessary though).

alms

Newly Enlightened
I assume you are referring to headlamps alone?

I'd read the Philips BikeLight is under 300 lm and almost as bright as a car's headlamp - so I was hoping the 40 lux of the Ixon IQ would be enough for me.

I'm not very keen on buying a headlamp, partly because I have to wait 4-5 weeks for delivery from China (and either ride in the dark or not ride at all). But also because some of the roads I ride on are twisty narrow strips of asphalt out in the country, where there's just enough space for 1 car and 1 bike side by side, and ditches on both sides - I'm concerned by the risk of blinding an incoming driver and end up in the ditch because of too much light instead of too little.

swhs

Newly Enlightened
I assume you are referring to headlamps alone?

I'd read the Philips BikeLight is under 300 lm and almost as bright as a car's headlamp - so I was hoping the 40 lux of the Ixon IQ would be enough for me.

I'm not very keen on buying a headlamp, partly because I have to wait 4-5 weeks for delivery from China (and either ride in the dark or not ride at all). But also because some of the roads I ride on are twisty narrow strips of asphalt out in the country, where there's just enough space for 1 car and 1 bike side by side, and ditches on both sides - I'm concerned by the risk of blinding an incoming driver and end up in the ditch because of too much light instead of too little.

There are 3 measurements of the LBL known to me regarding the total lightoutput: 270 lm, 282, lm, 291 lm.
The IQ speed (a bit brigher than the Ixon IQ): 111 lm (Radtouren june 2011).

The LBL is a bit brighter than the Ixon IQ but mainly it has a wider and longer beam that is very even. See also:

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/te..._afkapping/index_nl.html#vergelijking-ixon-iq

and the beamshots at the bottom of the page by Vienna.

Blinding oncoming traffic is indeed a bad point and many people don't seem to realise what this means on unlit roads. Not long aga on a German forum someone said that twice he had an almost accident where the driver of a car almost ran into him, well actually they came to a stop at his bike. He then said that even his Lupine Piko wasn't enough to be seen. THis was of course complete nonsense. It had nothing to be with being seen, it had almost certainly to do with the driver in the car getting blinded. I've experienced with the original Magicshine that that blinded me for some 30 metres where I saw nothing. Not the road, not the sides of. So, what can you do in such a situation: Go for the light and hope you don't run yourself off the road. This explains why those cars 'almost' hit that bike (but at very low speed). So I think in such situations of no surrounding light you are right in not wanting a light that blinds oncoming traffic...

Last edited:

BrianMc

Enlightened
...also because some of the roads I ride on are twisty narrow strips of asphalt out in the country, where there's just enough space for 1 car and 1 bike side by side, and ditches on both sides - I'm concerned by the risk of blinding an incoming driver and end up in the ditch because of too much light instead of too little.

All my neighborhood streets are like that except in the new subdivision, as are all county roads. I understand not wanting to blind an oncoming driver (often a neighbor) into becoming an incoming driver. :) :eek:

It isn't so much a question of too much light output as too much spill (light where you don't want it) and not enough light on the road. When LED outputs were marginal, or to boost runtime by running lower currents, getting all light produced into a long and narrow beam as the German standard lights do, actually makes for a more useable light than many circular beams at higher power that send too much light above the horizon and to each side. Have you looked at www.peterwhitecycles.com beamshots of different lights he sells? That will give you an idea of brightness and beam shape of German standard lights and some others meant for mountain biking but not road use. swhs's blog is another good reference.

Another thing to consider is being seen. Drivers on cross streets here often don't come to a full stop (try to avoid it like the plague, actually), so don't look well enough to notice that a cyclist is approaching at speed. A narrow beam helmet light that points where you look, can give you a long distance beam to announce your approach and a steerable one to make sure drivers entering the intersection are aware you are there. Since they have not launched they can avert their eyes, and if you do dazzle them a bit to save them running over you, it does both of you a big favor. If you have surprised them, they should get that concept. You dip your helmet and look right to be nice to oncoming traffic. Works a treat. They yield as they should.

If you have two small hot spot beams, one tighter say, 5 degrees than the other, say 10 degrees, you can aim the larger one closer and the smaller brighter one, farther, making sure the hot spots are on the pavement. Both will be about the same size on the pavement, if aimed right You may need to adjust the far one on grades. You can use hoods to cut the wasted above horizon and excess side spill to be kinder to oncoming traffic:

photo0351i.jpg

A video of them in action (from about 3:00 minutes on the main lights are on low and the helmet is on high, and shows the beams best on the video. The sign lighting is my helmet light which I had aimed a bit high in this video.):

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/545/2cg.mp4/

The output of the headlamps on low is 1100 lumens, and I am controling maybe 10% of the output, so about 1000 lumens on the road. 1400 on high (for wet pavement), and the helmet is about 600 lumens in a tight beam on high. Total output is in the range of a car's low beam. The camera has a sensitivity cutoff so the road is better lit out in front for farther than shown and the near hot spot not as bright. I can see sticks and potholes now, but I have 'older' less sensitive eyes.

The side spill control is so effective that they aren't as good to allert cross street drivers when used as DRL's in the day.

Take home story is that a low power light spraying photons all over, blinds oncoming drivers better than it lights the road. A high power light that does that is a traffic hazard, is the dark side of the force if you will. As Yoda said, "Control! You must learn control!" So I got the narrowest beams I coould squeeze into the housings, and tamed the rest. The German standards allow a bike light less light above and to the sides than is permitted for vehicle lights, maybe because of close proximity of cyclists meeting on 2-way bike paths, and limit total output below what I think is safe to ride the shoulders of high speed roads here in my part of NA. Being able to change output if you have situations where 'less is more' is a very good option to have. So if we had nice bike paths in town I can power down to glowing embers, if I want.

Buy the best light(s) you can afford. Figure on an upgrade in a year or two.

BrianMc

skidad

Newly Enlightened
Didn't mention your exact budget but the new Lyzene Super Drive at 450 lumens is really nice and uses a standard 18650 battery. I've got one (mtn bike backup) and I'm thinking this would be just a great commuting light with a very nice beam pattern. Std. supplied battery ran for 1:36 on high for me before stepping down to low mode. Callie's Kustoms 3100mAh battery ran 1:46 before kicking down to low (and then 3 hours on low before I finally shut it off!!!) http://www.lezyne.com/led-lights#panel-1
Best bang for the buck might be the Magic Shine 808E or the Gemini Lights Titan XML. Both are probably in the 700 lumen range even though they claim 1,000. Both come with 4 cell packs which should easily run for 3-4 hours
super_drive_l.png

alms

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.@ swhs you have a great site there, better than the professional ones I've seen so far ...keep up the good work! :thumbsup:
The LBL is a bit brighter than the Ixon IQ but mainly it has a wider and longer beam that is very even.
You're giving me a bit of hope with this remark, I might order the Ixon IQ off Amazon and see whether I find it bright enough, return it otherwise.
All my neighborhood streets are like that except in the new subdivision, as are all county roads. I understand not wanting to blind an oncoming driver (often a neighbor) into becoming an incoming driver. :) :eek:
Let's just count this one as a freudian slip, ok? :) :) :) Mind you when I say "narrow" I mean narrow even by european standards:
wGfZ8.jpg
u8ffe.jpg
c0dDs.jpg
Today I was out there in a thick fog, came back home with frost all over my gloves and the bike dripping wet!
Buy the best light(s) you can afford.
My dilemma so far has been "what if the light I can afford now is no good?". In fact I might end up delaying this buy, limit my rides to whenever I can go out in daylight. With temperatures dropping fast as of lately, my top priority is to invest in clothing :broke:

Last edited:

HakanC

Newly Enlightened
I put together a list of lights that are readily accessible to me and whose price isn't too close to that of the Philips:

Bike lights: Sigma Pava (100 lm/25 lx, 50 €). B+M Ixon IQ (40 lx, 60 €).
Headlamps: Led Lenser H7 (174 optimistic lm, 50 €). Petzl Myo XP (85 lm, 65 €). Magicshine MJ-838 (200? lm, 65 €)

Is any of these bright enough?
I have owned the Sigma Pava.
I used it for one lap around the local parking lot, and then sold it.
It is very dim.

or should I just bite the bullet and wait for one of those cheap zillion lm bike lamps to be shipped over to me from DX?
If you want to buy a cheap light from DX without zillions of lm you can try this
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/xc-997a-3w-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-4-x-aa-82138
It has nice beam, sort of a StVZO-style light beam, but it is not strong light.
But the reflector is a good starting point for a better LED and another driver.

Today I was out there in a thick fog, came back home with frost all over my gloves and the bike dripping wet!
May I ask were in Europe you live?
I live in Stockholm, Sweden and we have had a unusually warm autumn this year.
Today have been +5-6 C.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm making a light right now which puts out close to 2000 lumens on high. I plan to run it at only a few hundred most of the time except when I'm on very dark roads. I do plan to aim it properly so all the light hits either the street or the right side of the road. I have no wish to blind drivers or fellow cyclists going the other way.

Phireglass

Newly Enlightened
After a mountain bike vs car accident this august which resulted in me having a broken tib,fib and extensive sciatic nerve damage im taking no shortcuts, currently im running my seraph p7 ~500 lumens and i have a XML from nailbender comin in not to mention i have a pretty good red led on my seat post (not sure of the brand) take it from me DO NOT SHORT YOURSELF make sure your as bright or brighter than the cars around you!

BrianMc

Enlightened
Today I was out there in a thick fog, came back home with frost all over my gloves and the bike dripping wet!My dilemma so far has been "what if the light I can afford now is no good?". In fact I might end up delaying this buy, limit my rides to whenever I can go out in daylight. With temperatures dropping fast as of lately, my top priority is to invest in clothing :broke:

We have some ruraL roads that narrow in spots. Looks like about 5 m wide a bit wider than two direction bike paths and a greater need for a controlled beam. If drivers don't drive them too fast and they expect cyclists, that helps a LOT. They recognize a bile light without having to punch through their inattentiveness.

BrianMc

alms

Newly Enlightened
May I ask were in Europe you live?
I live in Stockholm, Sweden and we have had a unusually warm autumn this year.
Today have been +5-6 C.

Northern Italy. This afternoon the temperature was around 6-7 with some places at 4-5 (one station even reached 1!). Typically the further I go inland the colder it gets. Late afternoon also sees humidity soaring which makes cold feel much more intense. That is on clear days but yesterday the fog was insane, no surprise it would freeze at speed. My thumbs were freezing too!

BTW nice find that on DX. I would expect the lack of diffuser and probably better reflector to give the Ixon IQ a slight edge, but at that price one can't complain. An extension cord might be needed for fork mounting though.

We have some ruraL roads that narrow in spots. Looks like about 5 m wide a bit wider than two direction bike paths and a greater need for a controlled beam. If drivers don't drive them too fast and they expect cyclists, that helps a LOT. They recognize a bile light without having to punch through their inattentiveness.

I measured it on GMaps at just a little over 3 meters wide. The pic with the Mini in it has been taken on a corner which is much wider. Generally the problem over here is that even wider roads are not very wide. I prefer riding on tight country roads because of lighter traffic, a better view and also because cars won't go as fast. Although as soon as there's just barely enough space for two cars, you're likely to be overtaken at 70-90 kph with at least half the drivers squeezing through the lane even without a good reason.

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mostly, bicycle "spill" light suppose to let others know where you are only,
If you would like to go with flashlight with tight budget, i suggest:
A bicycle light clamp and a solarforce or cheapie-fire
Ive had a Superbright R2 D26 module, it didnt satisfy me but i think it is good for bicycling
Medium hotspot with 45 degrees spill from normal (45 degree away from the center)
It lit up a completely dark school corridor from 30m away
And if any unfortune happens, you wont be heartbroke due to the light.

kaseri

Enlightened
How bright is bright enough for a road bike you ask...? The answer is as bright as you feel you need. For me bright enough is 800-1000 lumens. This level of light allows others to easily see me in the daytime. At night it allows me to not only "be seen" but to actually see the road ahead quite well.

larcal

Newly Enlightened
Heh SWHS,

Just wrote you in another thread but this is much more recent so maybe more likely you'll see it. You suggested in your 2010? review of the Phillips that people wait to buy until you posted word that the electrical fault was fixed but no further word. So did Phillips ever improve them and get back to you?

helios123

Enlightened
For me I think 400 lumens is plenty. I always have my 1200 lumens headlight switched to low as I ride on a trail where there's lots of people coming from the opposite side.

HakanC

Newly Enlightened
From: http://reviews.mtbr.com/philips-saferide-led-bike-light-2012-mtbr-lights-shootout
Found this on Bike Forums. Did the MTBR test address this?

"Keep in mind that the newer production models have an annoying "feature": the light will run on high for only 70mins and then automatically switch to low and continue to run for another 165 mins - it refuses to switch back to high until you charge the batteries or just take them out and put them back in (which is not very convenient on the road). I have an earlier production model which runs for the promised 2 hours on high and then turns off."

larcal

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Hoping you can get me up to speed on the new versions of the battery Saferide. The version I read review on by Swhs with 2 leds and integral battery pack and sold by amazon for, ouch!, 180 bucks is not the version sold by bike24 with separate pack and i guess not as bright with only one led unless it is better led then the luxeon?. Separate pack to, which has it's ups and downs i guess. Sure do prefer the 45 euro price. Any opinions?

Last edited: