Dark Sucks Alpha XM18-B: Amazing!

S1LVA

Enlightened
Hello everyone :wave:

I'd like to do a mini-review of my newest EDC.

Specs:
5000k XM-L
McClicky Switch
2.8A Driver (3 mode)(2.8V-6V)(100%=2.8A,30%=1A,5%=.14A)
Reflector: Ledil Boom SS (Smooth Spot, FWHM 10°)
Body: 6061 T6 aluminum
Coating: Electroless Nickel
Overall dimensions: Head Diameter=1.2 / Body Diameter=1 / Length=5.75

A few thoughts
Jason, the owner of Prometheus Lights (aka Dark Sucks) is a great guy! He custom builds each Alpha for each of his customers and he has many options to choose from. The Alpha is a smooth, pocket friendly EDC light. It is also extremely rugged and water resistance tested to 300 feet for 5 hours! The added clip option is a great acessory. It lets the light ride pretty deep in your pocket and provides a lanyard attachment point. The clip, along with the McClicky switch, do not require any tools for installation which is different from any light I have ever owned. This makes maintenance (ie. replacing a broken switch, switching out the rubber boot, or simply cleaning) extremely easy.
The fit and finish of the Alpha are top notch, and I have pretty high standards. I only own one light from Jason right now and I already want at least two more (a "shorty" with High CRI XP-G and another regular Alpha with a 5700k XM-L and TIR lens). It has been a long time since a light has excited me as much as the Alpha.

General Use
I have only EDC'd the Alpha since the day I got it. (With the exception of my HDS because of its super low low for night time bathroom trips). I feel no need for any other lights. There are three modes L/M/H with memory. The low mode is perfect for most tasks when I am at work, it is about 30 lumens. I fix copy machines so I am constantly looking inside the cases. Both low and medium are great for walking around outside at night. Medium is about 175 lumens. High is insane, it turns night into day. Jason measured it at 489 lumens @ 30 seconds in his sphere. Runtime should be at least an hour on high.
The beam is beautiful. The hotsopt is nice and thick as you would expect with an XM-L in a smaller reflector. It is a nice transition from the hotspot to the spill. The picture I am going to post is very close to what my eye sees as far as tint and beam pattern.

(Crappy ceiling shot. It was at a slight angle. Otherwise, this picture depicts the transition from the middle to the edge very well)

I am glad that I own an Alpha. Jason is new to flashlight making, but he really knows what he is doing. It was a hobby that turned into a business for him. Jason knows what we want as "flashaholics" and he really hit the nail on the head with the Alpha. If you are looking for a custom light, give the Alpha a try. You will be very happy.

If anyone has any questions about my new Alpha, feel free to ask away. I will do my best to add more thoughts to this thread as I continue to EDC my Alpha. Pictures will be added as soon as I can get out on a sunny day :)

S1LVA

Last edited:

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Any links to more info? Ballpark on the cost? Pics of the light itself? Sounds pretty cool!
Thanks!
Matt

S1LVA

Enlightened
I did leave some things out, I know... My brain is fried from work lately!
Price is very fair. Starts at $200.
Pics of the light itself will be up as soon as I have a sunny day for a photo shoot :) Otherwise, check Jasons sub-forum. Thank you for the link, Shane.

S1LVA

egrep

Enlightened
Swell review. Jason's work is top notch and I really love my Alpha. Looking forward to the shorty tube. That'll make it easier to EDC IMO.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one with the Cerakote finish and the TIR Lens and love it!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 mine too. I have saved up for it and then wife got wind of it and used that money for Christmas Lol. I to do a better job of secretly saving.

Wildweed, my Boy Calvin wanted me to tell you, "Easy Solution"!

CIMG1251CalvinNoTagInfo.jpg

Just send him the money and he'll put it in his pocket for safe keeping! ....
Smokinsmiley.gif

Btw SILVA, after Harlee and Calvin saw your OP and my post. They hit the "Order Now" button on a XML with TIR Optics when I wasn't looking last night! ... However they were a bit upset when I found out though because it was suppose to be my Christmas present!

But they forgot that I'd see the order conformation when I checked my emails this morning. .... But wanna know what's Really Funny? .... I saw they were also asking "Jason" a few (Ok more then a few) questions last night, an I think "Jason" thinks he was communicating with me the whole time! ...
c893656c4bc54cfbe88e59d5f956dbd27f1.gif

Ok Jason, ........ Juuuuuust kidding! ....
embarrassed-1.gif

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one with the Cerakote finish and the TIR Lens and love it!

Now I know who got the Black One! ....
4_14_6.gif
muttly.gif

hoplite

Newly Enlightened
+1 to Jason and the Alpha. I ordered Six days ago, and it arrived today. 5700K XML in the standard reflector at 2.679 Amps, 584 lumens per Jason's quality report. The output is a little more than a Malkoff M91 on two IMR 18500s (informal ceiling bounce), and the hot spot is much broader. The hot spot looks less bright than the M91 on the ceiling, but it actually throws a little better. I might need a TIR on my next light, though. :) Tint is slightly warmer than the M91, and there's no obvious shift at different power levels. The metal work is just like what we've seen in the pictures, with a lot of subtle refinement. My favorite design feature may be the threads. Many lights have coarser threads, with less engagement and often with battery spring tension from the start. The Alpha is 28 TPI, with longer engagement, almost eight turns, giving more strength and no spring tension for the first few turns. I may never need the extra strength, but the threads will be a pleasure at every battery swap.

Thanks Jason.

egrep

Enlightened
The shorty tube is bad assed. It has allowed me to make the Alpha a part of my EDC rotation. The ability to carry the light throughout my day has tremendously enhanced my already great appreciation for the quality and effectivness of this wonderful light.

Thanks Jason!

S1LVA

Enlightened
I have a few lights in my EDC rotation but I ALWAYS find myself going back to the XM18-B. It's still the most useful light I own :)

S1LVA