Is optical fiber detection laser forbidden as laser pointer more than 5mW?

susanawalkly

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering to get an optical fiber detection laser for end-to-end visual fiber identification. This laser detector is very useful tool for fiber tracing, fiber routing, fiber checking.

However, this is just the problem. I have known that laser pointer more than 5mW is illegal in US. Then, what is the optical fiber detection? Is there any power restriction? I have tried to find some information online, yet no result. I don't know whether it is forbidden to buy a laser detector more than 5mW.
I am in need of a 20mW optical fiber detection to do my work. Can I?

Is there anyone who have got this laser detector?

jspeybro

Enlightened
To be honest, I'm not familiar with this tool, but from experience with fibercoupled lasers, these are usually not collimated but focused at position of the fiber tip. Because it is not collimated, this 5mW level, which is the class 2 limit, may not be applicable anymore because the angle of the light cone is greater than 1.5mrad.
You wont be able to aim it at airplanes without a fiber and a collimating lens ;-)

Since I'm not familiar with US laws (I'm European...), I can't say what is legal and what is not, but you may find usefull information in this text: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=1040.10 which is the text European laser product manufacturers need to comply with to be able to import laser product in the US.

perhaps you can find some info on the 5mW restriction and the type of beam (collimated or not)?

out of curiosity, how long are the fibers that you want to check that you need 20mW? If it is a tool necessary for professional work, I doubt it will be illegal.

Johan

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is no laws prohibiting you to have even 2w lasers, however there is an import restriction on laser pointers above 5mw, it coveres only ready made devices that you can use out of the box, afaik there is no restriction on modules themseves as parts, and components.

Last edited:

susanawalkly

Newly Enlightened
anyway, optical fiber detection would be allowed to import. It is just a tool of detection.

susanawalkly

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your suggestion. I finally got a 1mW optical fiber detector. It is just total legal to use.