Flashlight with blueish tints?

mateh

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.

From watching police shows, it's apparently that many officers use flashlights with blueish tints, similar to this:

Image%202011-11-19%20at%201.06.19%20PM.png

I own a Surefire LX2 Lumamax and it does not have this blue quality at all, it's just white/clear. I would like one with the blueish tint :p

Cheers

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF mateh - lots of information (and even more opinions) here on this forum.

If you are serious I suggest you put a WTB ad in the CPF Marketplace - lots of people don't like blue tints. It's also possible the lights aren't actually blueish, but the white balance of the camera has been set for other lights (incandescent?) and so makes a white flashlight appear blue.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont rely on the junk seen on tv,
that does not work in reality.

for the rest: Gregozedobe already typed it: blue tint = extreme crap
Just try a neutral (6000 Kelvin) or warmer tinted led, you will understand immediately

mateh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply guys.
I wasn't sure if it was the camera playing funny with the colours or what.

This is an another example of blue light, and there is another officer's flashlight which is emitting the normal clear light that I was talking about (thus ruling out the whitebalance issue)

Image%202011-11-19%20at%209.52.31%20PM.png

So, it definitely is a case of "looks cool but is poop"?

Cheers,

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED's will show up as blueish due to the fact that the camera filters out some of the spectrum.

Someone else on here will have a more"technical" explanation for it.

wrf

Newly Enlightened
[...]many officers use flashlights with blueish tints[...]

My Streamlight lights are in general more blueish than my Surefire lights. (Just one possible explanation for your observation.)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have come across blueish led lights and they are direct driven and overdriven. Of course there are blue leds available though.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go back a few years into LEDs and you will find almost every light had a blue-ish tint. It was just the main stream LEDs they were putting into lights.

When LEDs started getting more advanced and they started getting warmer tints, they had more options to the end user. The cooler tints were brighter than the warmer tints. They were also more readily available. So for a while the norm was the brighter, cooler (aka blue-ish) lights.

I can remember a time on CPF when people were partying because they bought a light that had a white tint.

Then I can remember when neutral and then warm tints were hitting the streets.

Somewhere in all that high CRI LEDs were coming around.

You won't see new lights on CPF with these very cool tints anymore. Cheap lights no one here talks about will.