Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the SPY 007 XM-L

Default Re: Introducing the SPY 007 XM-L

Quote Originally Posted by exquzmwa View Post
    Hi Data,

Wasn't sure the best thread to leave a message in, so I picked this one (realizing the sales thread hasn't been posted yet). When the sales thread goes up if you are selling the parts to update an older spy to XM-L if the price is right I would love to get one. However, the reason I'm leaving this reply in the thread is I wanted to see if it would be possible to get a magnetic base for the Tri V, and also a couple of the beads for a 007.

Thanks in advance.

Curtis

The SPY 007 Mini Picatinny Rail Accessories thread has sales info on the magnetic base. I just got more magnets so the mag base kit and the mag base fully assembled are both available. Keep in mind you need a GPA to use it with a 007 or Tri-V.

I do not sell the beads, please check with the titanium bead thread for beads. The glass beads I give away with a new light are simple to get at any local craft store. Or you can send me an SASE and I will send you a couple.

A 007 upgrade kit is far too complected and not something I am going to offer.

Cheers
    Dave

Still testing, the sale will not be till tomorrow, it is getting late.

Cheers
    Dave

Sounds good. If I sell a lightbtonight i may try a GG version as PP will be healthier.
    I was ready to get the XPG version before you mentioned this XM-L.
    I don't "need" all that light but it is just so damn cool.

GG just looks so cool.....
    Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

I hit a snag with my programmer's interface connector. Now the testing is restarted but it is progressing slowly.

There will NOT be a sale today.

I need to work my way through all the lights and that is taking longer than I anticipated. I am doing the testing with several sets of IMR batteries and each time they all get depleted I have to wait. Sorry. I will keep you informed as I progress.

Cheers
    Dave

Thanks for the update.

All the lights were ready to go but I just saw that I set the upper limit on the programming at the wrong value so I get to reprogram them all again. :|

I am working it.

I found the issue by programming a light for 3000 and when I checked the value with the PU5 it reported 3010. It will pick up an extra click some times if I fat finger it. I was like, what? that should be limited to 3000. So I look at the code and remember in the early testing I set the upper limit higher to see how it behaved and never set it back.

I am working it.

I hope you are all having a great vacation if it has stared yet. We will have 23 people in the house tomorrow for t-day. Some have already arrived.

I have found out in the testing that the IMR cells are quite the troopers. So far not a single battery issue.

There are some pics on my twitter @coolfallinc

Cheers
    Dave

Great news Dave.
    Have a great T day.
    Even though I reside in the Great White North, I will be celebrating US T Day this year, as we had a cousin trace our family tree, and low & behold, we are decendants of the Mayflower. Great x? Grandparents were on that boat.

Ahhhhsome

Yes, No, Yes, No, i dont know if i should buy the XP-G or XM-L Version.
    Think the XM-L became hot if i use it longer.....Wish i had the money to own both

Had no choice but to take a few days off as there were so many relatives here this weekend. The kids are still off school too. I will resume testing and let you all know when the sale will be as soon as I can.

I am reprogramming them to a max of 3000mA now as well, hope the programming fixture holds out.

CustomCollector, The XM-L is not any hotter than the XP-G if you are running them at the same power levels. The XP-G gives a very uniform color from the emitter (if you are a white wall hunter) but the XM-L will light up the entire front yard (if you are a power hungry monger and don't mind rechargeable batts).

Cheers
    Dave

Dave
    Hope you had a great extended weekend.
    I see CC is no longer with us , again, but I love your comment about your lights. That is exactly why I think the XM-L version will be perfect.
    Assuming it has the 4 programmable slots, one can leave the first slot to run on primaries, capped at 1000. Then slot 2 can ramp up to 3000 when you "need" that extra kick of light.
    Can't wait.

I was wondering whether Dave would make the default levels incorporate the potential to drive level 6 at 3A

Something like:-

1) 2ma
    2) 20ma
    3) 150ma
    4) 750ma
    5) 1500ma
    6) 3000ma

Level 5 and 6 would then step down after a certain period of time gradually to 1000ma

Being lazy, I would probably prefer this setup rather than being forced to use the programming facility.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

I agree that that would be the perfect default setting that the light would return to every time you changed batteries and powered up.
    Karl H. Riedel III. Realtor and a WHOLE lot more!

Been thinking about those settings too. I agree. I will set this combo right away too.

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Being lazy, I would probably prefer this setup rather than being forced to use the programming facility.
    The whole point in having a light like the Spy is to learn & use the programming facility. Otherwise we'd all be buying Dorcy or Eveready lights from Walmart.
    Last edited by blackfly; 11-29-2011 at 04:00 AM.

I was wondering whether Dave would make the default levels incorporate the potential to drive level 6 at 3A

Something like:-

1) 2ma
    2) 20ma
    3) 150ma
    4) 750ma
    5) 1500ma
    6) 3000ma

Level 5 and 6 would then step down after a certain period of time gradually to 1000ma

It bothers me that you think the programming is in any way difficult. I guess it is till you see somebody do it. I will have to make better videos.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by karlheinz3 View Post
    I agree that that would be the perfect default setting that the light would return to every time you changed batteries and powered up.
    The SPY has EEPROM memory. Once programmed to work with what ever batteries you choose to use, it will stay that way until you change it.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by blackfly View Post
    The whole point in having a light like the Spy is to learn & use the programming facility. Otherwise we'd all be buying Dorcy or Eveready lights from Walmart.
    Not even close.

There are many who like Dave's default settings just fine and suggesting that his settings are no good or that Walmart lights are on par when you take away the programming is insulting to all the rest of us, but particularly to Data himself.

I'm sure you meant some of this tongue in cheek, but it's still a rude insinuation that these other owners are incapable of appreciating the Spy's better points without having to even care a whit about programming. It's not that difficult to program once you get it, but people that don't want to learn really don't need to as the defaults will probably work perfectly for 95% of purchasers. I lowered my bottom settings, but it sure doesn't mean anyone else needs to just because they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    The SPY has EEPROM memory. Once programmed to work with what ever batteries you choose to use, it will stay that way until you change it.

Cheers
    Dave
    I saw that earlier and had meant to post this same info. Thanks for making such great lights and I hope you've still got in the back of your head the one we talked about last year when I was deciding to buy a Tri-V.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Not even close.

There are many who like Dave's default settings just fine and suggesting that his settings are no good or that Walmart lights are on par when you take away the programming is insulting to all the rest of us, but particularly to Data himself.

I'm sure you meant some of this tongue in cheek, but it's still a rude insinuation that these other owners are incapable of appreciating the Spy's better points without having to even care a whit about programming. It's not that difficult to program once you get it, but people that don't want to learn really don't need to as the defaults will probably work perfectly for 95% of purchasers. I lowered my bottom settings, but it sure doesn't mean anyone else needs to just because they can.
    I was not trying to be taken as insulting in any way to anyone. I just meant that, to me, the whole fun part of getting one of these lights is learning & using the programming capability. Although It would still be a superior light minus that capability, being able to program it with 6 switch positions & 4 memory slots sets the Spy apart from any other light.

I was not trying to be taken as insulting in any way to anyone. I just meant that, to me, the whole fun part of getting one of these lights is learning & using the programming capability. Although It would still be a superior light minus that capability, being able to program it with 6 switch positions & 4 memory slots sets the Spy apart from any other light.
    Well it definitely does sit apart from anything else out there no doubt and I take your point about the outstanding capabilities, but the fact that it offers all that, but doesn't need to be programmed to be useful is testament to how much thought went into making them and choosing the levels at the outset.

It's funny that I complimented Dave on the light being able to go so low that no one, not even BeaconofLight or myself, could use it, which made it perfect for anyone wanting low output. He told me then that the reason it can go that low was not that he desired super lows, that was just a side benefit, but that he wanted rock solid stability and one way to insure it was to go all the way down to the basement with it.

Damn, can't wait to get my XM-L modded 007 next week, and yes, since it's changed from an XP-G, I'm sure it's going to need some tweeks on the bottom end at least.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

The whole point in having a light like the Spy is to learn & use the programming facility.
    I have used the programming facility before, but the default levels have often been so good that I have found no need to program other combinations in. Suggesting a default combination that suits me is not a crime as far as I am aware.

That "to me" qualification certainly makes quite a difference. Pity you didn't say it originally.

I personally fall into the "STUPID" category. I have owned at least a dozen custom "Milky Spit" lights that Scott engineered exotic firmware for and I never figured them out. Only the most recent Milky Haiku mod with a simple high and low is in my realm of expertise and I love it! I have had six Spy lights from Data and only have a vague comprehension of how to program all of the settings. I have watched the videos and read the instructions online but still have problems understanding everything and how to hold a new setting in one slot and not multiple. I guess I just don't have the time to play and decipher all the "DATA" to get the highest and best usage out of the Spy flashlights. I just like the look and feel of the Spy 007 and can't wait for the XM-L to hit the streets! I have had the same problem with Ra Lights and I think that McGizmo's are so popular because "DUMMIES" like me can have instant "POINT and SHOOT" gratification. Dave is a GENIUS and I just wish I had just a fraction of his comprehension of electronics! Five years ago before I joined CPF I knew a whole hell of a lot less than I do today so I want to personnaly thank the forum for broadening my horizons and introducing me to some GREAT people over the past few years. Thanks CPF!
    Karl H. Riedel III. Realtor and a WHOLE lot more!

I have used the programming facility before, but the default levels have often been so good that I have found no need to program other combinations in. Suggesting a default combination that suits me is not a crime as far as I am aware.
    Quote Originally Posted by karlheinz3 View Post
    I personally fall into the "STUPID" category. I have owned at least a dozen custom "Milky Spit" lights that Scott engineered exotic firmware for and I never figured them out. Only the most recent Milky Haiku mod with a simple high and low is in my realm of expertise and I love it! I have had six Spy lights from Data and only have a vague comprehension of how to program all of the settings. I have watched the videos and read the instructions online but still have problems understanding everything and how to hold a new setting in one slot and not multiple. I guess I just don't have the time to play and decipher all the "DATA" to get the highest and best usage out of the Spy flashlights. I just like the look and feel of the Spy 007 and can't wait for the XM-L to hit the streets! I have had the same problem with Ra Lights and I think that McGizmo's are so popular because "DUMMIES" like me can have instant "POINT and SHOOT" gratification. Dave is a GENIUS and I just wish I had just a fraction of his comprehension of electronics! Five years ago before I joined CPF I knew a whole hell of a lot less than I do today so I want to personally thank the forum for broadening my horizons and introducing me to some GREAT people over the past few years. Thanks CPF!
    Very timely posts and it can not be said enough times, although the Spy's have extensive programming capacity, you can use them out of the box and never worry that you've not gotten your money's worth.

Testing has been much more difficult that I expected. I apologize for the delay. I have made minor changes to the software and am still evaluating. I am making progress.

Cheers
    Dave

Looks nice Data, can't wait to see more of it

Testing is complete. The sale will be soon. But do you guys think the forum is running smoothly? I have had trouble getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    Testing is complete. The sale will be soon. But do you guys think the forum is running smoothly? I have had trouble getting in.
    Lately the forum has been a bit like the weather in the UK. Wait for a sunny day and it may never come.

Please can you confirm what the default levels of current and light output will be at each switch position, if possible?
    Last edited by easilyled; 12-07-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added question

Thanks for the input on the forum health.

The default levels of the Cal are as follows:

3 mA
    15 mA
    80 mA
    250 mA
    500 mA
    1000 mA

Cheers
    Dave