Introducing the SPY 007 XM-L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been in the works for many months and some of you know of its development. Thanks for your input and suggestions everybody.

This new light does not replace the 007 XP-G. Both will be available for now.

The new XM-L emitter is as you all know amazing and when run at full power, it kicks. ;)

The tiny SPY needed a few internal changes to accommodate this power including an upgraded converter. Thanks Wayne. :)

Cosmetically unchanged, this latest variant of the SPY 007 has a new emitter/converter combination especially matched to hit up to 12 Watts of power for short periods of time.

Emitter: XM-L in bright white and neutral and warm.

Electronics: new STFu MK-III 3000mA uP converter board (this is the same as the STFu MK-II but with upgraded power IC that is more efficient and more accurate).

Power output: Up to 3000mA for a short period of time (~1 minute) then slow roll back to 1000mA as is standard with previous STFu. Neither the batteries (AW IMR 3.7V 550mAh) nor the emitter could stand a longer run time at this extreme power due to the heating that occurs in the tiny SPY. Rechargeable batteries are required to hit the 3000mA level. Primary batteries are able to reach ~1500mA. As usual I will supply a set of primary batteries with the light but I do not sell the rechargeable batteries. Remember you will need a charger too. In its default configuration the light will cal for primary batteries at a max of 1000mA.

New emitter heat sink integrated with a thermal path to the STFu similar to the Tri-V design but more refined with a stronger thermal path. See pics below.

The reflector is the same McR-18 and with the XM-L the big change is that the hot spot is bigger and to a lesser degree brighter. Of course on high the flood is way brighter as well. There is a small brass centering ring that has four little fingers that fit up inside the small end of the reflector. This piece fits down over the XM-L emitter for a perfect alignment of the system.

IMG_1934s.jpg

IMG_1936s.jpg

IMG_1939s.jpg

IMG_1940s.jpg

========================= EDIT ==============================
========> the first XM-L sales thread can be seen here
========================= EDIT ==============================

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave
I am in for a Neutral Version.
I have a client coming in 15 minutes, but will PP you later this morning ( I am on the West Coast, so it's still morning for 3 more hours).
I may change my mind to Cool by the time I hit SEND MONEY.
Thanks
John

Question
Does this have the same programming as the XPG Version ( ie 4 slots, and the Tri V system?)

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

Is the 007 XM-L ready to order?

Thanks
Todd

No, this is not the sales thread. But they are nearly done. I will post a sales thread next week. I only put a few of them together but I have parts to build many.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
build me a cool and I'll send the cash when the sales thread opens. :party:

I have mostly cool emitters but I have a few neutral and warm emitters. The cool are my favorite EDC because they put out such a crazy amount of light.

The price of the new XM-L light is going to be $1195. The the price of the 007 XP-G is unchanged at $995.

Cheers
Dave

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have mostly cool emitters but I have a few neutral and warm emitters. The cool are my favorite EDC because they put out such a crazy amount of light.

Cheers
Dave

This is my dilema.
I think I'd like the neutral tint and thought the XM-L would more than compensate for any loss compared to my Cool XPG, BUT , and a big BUT, is the extreme WOW factor with a cool tint

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dave, what is the color temperature of the neutral?

I have 6000K, 5000K, 4000K, 3000K and 2800K. The neutral is in the 5000K area. I am picky about the color of the emitter and given the very limited emitter bins available the color temp is usually a secondary requirement to that. Of course none of them are right exactly on the even thousand line and lie somewhere in between.

The Tri-V2 has 3000K in its flood and 5000K in its reflector and way over 6500K in the spot.

Cheers
Dave

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Are there still 6 levels of power? From your pictures, it looks like there may be 9 levels?
Is it possible to program the light to higher than 1000ma for a sustained period of time like the 1400ma that is possible for the XPG version?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there still 6 levels of power? From your pictures, it looks like there may be 9 levels?
Is it possible to program the light to higher than 1000ma for a sustained period of time like the 1400ma that is possible for the XPG version?

No, it is not possible, it gets too hot. The XP-G version rolls back to 1000mA as well, just like the Tri-V does.

The mass of the 007 eventually gets really hot with only 1000mA!! Above that would not be safe.

If the light was able to run continuously at a power level above 1000mA, then that would be a problem. Say someone turns it on and sets it down and walks away, it could get hot enough to damage the light itself or to burn you when you pick it up.

Cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.