1.4 vs 2.8 XML

Vernon

Enlightened
I have an aluminum 2.8a XML EDC and really like it, so I ordered a brass 1.4a for a little variety. I'm obviously expecting a much lower "high" output due to the drive level difference, but can you answer this:

Will the 1.4a XML have a lower "low" than the 2.8a XML? If so, how significant is the difference and what are the chances someone can provide lumen measurements and/or beam shots to support?

Much appreciated.

I own a SST 50 1.4a EDC and a XML 2.8a EDC both neutral and the 1.4a is roughly half the output of the XML 2.8 a on high and actually at every level.

Vernon

Enlightened
I own a SST 50 1.4a EDC and a XML 2.8a EDC both neutral and the 1.4a is roughly half the output of the XML 2.8 a on high and actually at every level.

Many thanks. Can anyone who has both XML versions confirm the same?

I'm actually glad to get 1/2 the output on low!

OneBigDay

Enlightened
1.4 or 2.8 amps for a XML EDC is a great question.

Can anyone verify whether the 1.4 amp version would accept a primary CR123 in a pinch?

I have only recently started thinking about one of Mac's XML EDC lights. The 18350 has a lot of appeal but then again it would be introducing yet another cell format into my inventory. But at it's face I like idea of an 18350 much better than CR123 or 16340. If I can run a primary cell in a bind this adds to the appeal for me. A 2.8 amp driven XM-L looks like it is too much for a single primary.

As far as brightness goes. I have a few P60 dropins and have found in that format with all things equal except how hard it is driven - to my eye a 1.5 amp XML puts out about 80% or more of the output of a 3.1 amp. My conclusion was that having 80% brightness for twice the runtime is a good trade off because the XM-L is so efficient and bright to begin with. See thread here if anyone is interested in a visual to support this - look at the Thrunite XML (1.5 amps) vs. Nailbender XML (3.1 amps). The second slideshow in post #2 shows it pretty well.

I am seeing the 4500K temp referred to in several threads in this subforum - is that what Mac uses for his "neutral" versions?

Last question is that if I decide to pull the trigger, a 1.4 amp version is not explicitly listed within his shopping cart system. What is the proper way to order a 1.4 amp version?

shinpu

Newly Enlightened
Last question is that if I decide to pull the trigger, a 1.4 amp version is not explicitly listed within his shopping cart system. What is the proper way to order a 1.4 amp version?

this i'd like to know as well

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Email Mac and ask for the 1.4 Amp version. I believe he will special order them. That's the Custom in Mac's Customs.

For what it is worth, I had my EDC 2.8 Amp neutral light measured in a lightbox... these are the results 15 seconds after turn on:

High: 496 lumens
Medium: 192 lumens
Lo: 29 lumens

eala

Vernon

Enlightened
Email Mac and ask for the 1.4 Amp version. I believe he will special order them. That's the Custom in Mac's Customs.

For what it is worth, I had my EDC 2.8 Amp neutral light measured in a lightbox... these are the results 15 seconds after turn on:

High: 496 lumens
Medium: 192 lumens
Lo: 29 lumens

eala

Thanks for the measures! Agreed, a quick PM or email to Mac with your preference is the best way.

By the way, I ended up getting a 1.4 and 2.8 XML. To my eye, there was a difference in brightness at all three levels. However, I was surprised as it wasn't as significant as I expected. I ended up selling the 1.4 and keeping the 2.8 because I liked having that extra pop on high while still having the option for a low and medium.

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened
...I ended up selling the 1.4 and keeping the 2.8...
Hi, I have a (non-MAC) XM-L U2 + similar 3-mode 2800 driver and I love that "pop" you're talking about :) However, runtime is ultra-low on high. I did a controlled test with 3min cycles and the driver refuses to drive @2800 after roughly the third run; this implies 9~10mins tops. My AW18650 2200mAh still measures 3.95V* after the fact. Of course I can continue to run on 1A (medium) for a longer time (although in lower modes, the driver will run the light at increasingly lower o/p levels over time; thus the driver is not constant-current at the lower two modes).

I was just wondering what runtimes (on high only) you've experienced with your MAC, thanks ;)

*According to AW:
LiIon Battery Charge Status
4.2V – 100%
4.1V – 87%
4.0V – 75%
3.9V – 55%
3.8V – 30%
3.5V – 0%