Review of ThruNite Ti with measurements and outdoor beamshots

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]ThruNite Ti firely and regular version[/size]

DSC_9774.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

ThruNite started a few years ago with a small light, then they added a very good thrower (Catapult) and has lately added lots of other lights to their range. The light I am looking at here is their first AAA light. This light is a two brightness level light, where the two brightness levels is selected depending on how tight the light is twisted together. The light is made in two versions with different low level. The light is made of aluminum with hard-anodized (Type 3) finish.

DSC_9732.jpg
DSC_9733.jpg

The light is delivered in a cardboard box with a window. Some of the specifications are printed on the front of the box.

DSC_9773.jpg

The box contains the light, two o-rings, a split ring and a user manual.

DSC_9775.jpg
DSC_9776.jpg
DSC_9777.jpg

The light has a OP (Orange Peel) reflector with the XP-E led at the bottom.

DSC_9780.jpg
DSC_9781.jpg

The inside of the head is made in brass, this gives a very good quality thread. There is a foam ring on the head, this works as polarity protection, reduces battery rattle and is part of the switch mechanism. The level switch is the small piece of metal in the center, when the battery touches the metal the light will turn on in low mode, tighten the light a bit more will bend the metal and the light will switch to high mode. From low to high is less than 1/8 turn of the head.

DSC_9778.jpg
DSC_9784.jpg

Both the head and the body is covered with ample knurling. The light does not have a spring in the body tube, this is not possible with this type of switch.

DSC_9779.jpg

On the tail of the light is a hole for the o-ring. This makes the light bad at tail standing, but makes it very good for keychain use.

DSC_0256.jpg

Here is all the part the light can be disassembled in without tools.

The light is a nice simple to use keychain light that works well on alkaline batteries and has a good performance for the price. The model with the firefly settings is useful for navigating indoor, without disturbing other people or it can be used as a night light. The regular model with a 3 lumen low gives a better light for navigating without night adapted eyes.

[size=+2]Technical specification and measurements[/size]

DSC_9785.jpg

This light is designed for 1.5 volt AAA batteries (Alkaline and NiMH).

Measured size and weight:
Length: 74 mm
Diameter: 14 mm to 14.4 mm
Weight: 28 gram with eneloop

The light uses a Cree XP-E led.

Measurements.png

In the above table I have collected all modes for the firefly model, measured at both 1.2 volt and 1.5 volt. All the estimated runtimes are with 800 mAh eneloop batteries. The estimated lumen is scale from the specified maximum. The brightness is a relative measurement from a lux meter.

ThruNite%20Ti%20firefly%20High.png

The light does not stabilize brightness, instead the brightness is directly proportional to the battery voltage. This keeps a more moderate current draw on the batteries and with alkaline avoids the fast brightness drop when the battery is empty. It is interesting to see that the power consumption does follow the brightness very closely, this means that the driver keeps a nearly constant efficiency.
This light can use all the energy in a AAA battery.

ThruNite%20Ti%20High.png

This curve is from the other Ti light, it has a higher brightness at low voltage (This might or might not be related to its higher low level).

Runtime.png

On the runtime curve the lack of stabilization is obvious. This lack of stabilization does make the light very useful on a alkaline battery, it will have a very long runtime while slowly reducing brightness.

ThruNite%20Ti%20Heat%201.5%20volt.png

I did a temperature test to see how well the light handles the heat from the led. I did run the test at 1.5 volt, this is higher than a alkaline or NiMH will sustain. The light does not have any problems with heat, it only warm up a little and then keeps full brightness while staying at this temperature.
Note: My test does not simulate actual usage conditions, but are done on a test bench with only the head of the light and no cooling airflow, i.e. the light will get hotter than during normal use.

The light does not use pwm and only has a small amount of high frequency noise in the light and no flashing modes.

[size=+2]Comparison to other Flashlights[/size]

ThruNite Ti, Olight i3, 4Sevens Preon:
DSC_9997a.jpg
DSC_9999a.jpg
DSC_0006a.jpg

Fenix E01, Fenix E05, Fenix LD01:
DSC_0001a.jpg
DSC_0002a.jpg
DSC_0003a.jpg

For the full comparison to other lights with graphs and beamshots see here.

[size=+3]Notes[/size]

The light was supplied by ThruNite for review.

Sadly I had an accident when testing, a probe slipped and I destroyed one of the lights, before I was finished with the technical analysis.

kreisler

Banned
i find powerful modern AAA keychain lights interesting. Thanks for the review!
so the torch is a battery crusher?

Destroyed? maybe it's not the most rugged of lights then! ;)

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review!
Personally, I'm waiting for the contact spring issue to be resolved, but at this price point it may warrant some DIY ingenuity.

I think you have a AAA light problem....

HKJ

Flashaholic
so the torch is a battery crusher?

Sort of, depends on how hard you tighten the head.

Destroyed? maybe it's not the most rugged of lights then! ;)

I do not believe any 1.5 volt light could have taken that. I uses 4 wires from my power supply to the light when measuring, two for supplying the power and two to measure the voltage at the light and automatic correct the output from the power supply (This is called remote sense). One of the measurement probes slipped and the power supply did increase output a bit, before it switched itself off.

I think you have a AAA light problem....

A problem? No, I enjoy AAA lights.:)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Good review HKJ and good pic's ....... thanks for expending the time .

You mentioned the "regular version" with brighter low .... where can that be bought ?

~

Hey jabe1,

That contact spring issue can't be resolved. That "Tab" is integral to the design.

The tab is the contact point for the low mode . I don't see any way to improve it .

If that's what is keeping you from buying - you may be waiting a long time .

~

HKJ

Flashaholic
henrik maybe one day you can provide us a table with all your AAA flashlights and collected data and maybe a ranking or rating. i did such a thing today for 4 near-to-perfect 1xAA EDC's:

tabular comparison: DX's Romisen RC-29 / 47's Quark "X" AA Tactical / Xeno E03 V3 / Zebralight SC80

Very nicely done. I do a tiny version of it in my beamshots, but only for a few lights at a time.

I would like to do some kind of summary of all my AAA lights, but I have a problem with getting time enough :). After a few more light reviews I will probably use a lot of time on chargers and batteries.

kreisler

Banned
I would like to do some kind of summary of all my AAA lights
No rush, no hurry.
Endless thanks for your commitment and the top-quality reviews. Am looking forward to any new review by you or by selfbuilt.

you're the CPF heroes! (and with the help of your reviews i was able to take some well-founded purchase and "to-cancel-from-wishlist" decisions. striking out buy candidates after having reasoned about its pro's and con's is a quite satisfying activity. i feel better afterwards.)

not having pulled the trigger (at some weak emotional moment) makes me feel happy! Refraining from buying/ordering more torches makes me happy, yaaahhh!!!
( hehe.. )

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
not having pulled the trigger (at some weak emotional moment) makes me feel happy! Refraining from buying/ordering more torches makes me happy, yaaahhh!!!
( hehe.. )

+

they're $16 ,,,,,,,yaaahhh!!!( hehe.. );)

Harry999

Enlightened
I understand some CPF members have inserted a plastic blister pack cutout under the tab so that it only has low mode. For the use I have of this light when the two I have ordered from Illumination Gear arrive in the UK I will use this method so that it is only a low low mode light. Really looking forward to using this light.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered mine Wednesday 12/27 and received it today 12/29. I'm in love with the whole fit and feel of this light. I spent some time experimenting with different lanyard styles to attach to this beauty. Plus, firefly at .04 is as bright as I would wish for a low (IMO my novatac doesn't go low enough for middle of the night bathroom runs)
a6890e04-72fd-c9d2.jpg
a6890e04-731c-4a0d.jpg

Alex

nanucq

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your review :)

I've just received 2 of them (60-3 lumens), put 2 AAA Eneloop and they spent their afternoon in a fresh water glass.
I'm very impressed with the runtimes on High: 145 minutes and 165 minutes :thumbsup:
Tint is on the warm side on mines, and there is a little wobbling in the heads, but i'm satisfied.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Great review for a nice little light. Kind of a sleeper, if you like having a real low and not spending much. I think I'll be using mine regularly for a long time.

Geoff

Racer

Enlightened
Mine hasn't left my night stand since I got it. I have a couple minor gripes with it, but am very pleased overall. It's the perfect night light. My Ti really earned its keep recently when we all had the flu and I could check on the wife and kids without waking them up. I have other lights with moonlight mode but this one is just the perfect size and output. Good job Thrunite.

fyrstormer

Banned
edcdan, you quoted the entire review in your reply. Is there any chance you could remove the parts you're not actually replying to? Long quotes take up a lot of space.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Measurements.png

In the above table I have collected all modes for the firefly model, measured at both 1.2 volt and 1.5 volt. All the estimated runtimes are with 800 mAh eneloop batteries. The estimated lumen is scale from the specified maximum. The brightness is a relative measurement from a lux meter.
Your reviews are very helpful and thorough. Thank you for sharing this information with us here at CPF. Will you explain the 1.2 vs 1.5 volt testing. I am confused about whether you are showing a full battery vs. a depleted battery, or an alkaline vs. a nimh. Thanks.

Also, I assume the light that was damaged was the 3 lumen version, hence no runtime data for it on low.