FS: Alpha Run #3 - 1x18650, 3 mode, 2.8A, McClicky, 450+ lumens

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi all,

Run #2 is sold out.

Run #3 is available now! Check out my site for current availability.

Some of you will notice that I increased my prices by $25 on each light. After getting about 150 lights into this process I'm realizing I can't keep doing the "fancy" surface finishes I've been doing and deliver more than 20-30 lights per month. So, I increased the price a little bit to make it so I can pay my rent and electrical bills at that volume. Still not making much to put in my pocket. This month I made 60 lights in one batch and, while it's possible, I don't have any time to work on custom orders or new stuff like my 80K lux Alpha lego head or my AA QTC light.

So, I've been working with a local machine shop to develop the "Alpha Production" flashlight. It will be mechanically identical to the custom Alphas...same components, same dimensions, same nickel finish...but it will be machined my someone else (not me) and the actual surface will be plated "as machined" instead of being stone washed, brushed, blasted, or polished. I will still hand assemble every one.

Back to the price increase. My current Alpha Customs have increased to $225. The Alpha Production comes online, it will come back in at the $200 price point. CPF members will be able to choose their Alpha Production LED; regular website customers will not.

Check out my intro video!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LED OPTIONS

MCE-close.jpg

Cree MCE (MC18-B)
(LED options: 6500K "N-Bin" cool, 5700K cool, 4000K neutral)

XML-close.jpg

Cree XML (XM18-B)
(LED options: U2 6500K cool, T6 5700K, T5 5000K neutral)(Limited number of 20 degree TIR optics available...inquire)

XPG-close.jpg

Cree XPG High CRI (93+) (XP18-B)
This is pretty self explanatory...(3000K warm) Driven @ 1.4A so you will get LOTS of run time with an 18650.

XRE-close.jpg

Cree XRE (XR18-B)
I also have this XRE-R2 (6000K) option. (not listed on my site) This is a good choice if you want 200+ lumens and 3+ hours of run time on high. This is driven @ 1.4A instead of 2.8A.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIFICATIONS: (all styles are mechanically identical)

This light is designed for a single 18650. The driver can handle up to 6V, but the driver itself will get REALLY hot when using primaries, regardless of the power setting used. The driver WILL NOT run on 2xRCR123's...you will fry it. The XML and MCE can operate on low and medium with 123 primaries, but the current draw on high will be excessive, cause heating, and possibly catastrophic failure of the battery. In general, I DO NOT recommend primaries for these lights if you want the best and most trouble free performance. Stick to 1x18650.
  • MCE/XML Driver: Shiningbeam 2.8A CC (3 mode)(2.8V-6V)(100%=2.8A,30%=1A,5%=.14A)
  • XPG/XRE Driver: Shiningbeam 1.4A CC (3 mode)(2.8V-6V)(100%=1.4A,30%=.44A,5%=.06A)
  • Reflector: Ledil Boom SS (Smooth Spot, FWHM 10°)
  • Window: UCL glass 2 side AR coated
  • MCE Run time: 1.5 hours on high (measured)(XML & XPG not tested yet)
  • Switch: McClicky
  • Wire: 24 AWG Mil-spec, stranded copper, silver plated, teflon coated
  • Solder: silver solder
  • Body: 6061 T6 aluminum
  • Coating: Electroless Nickel
  • Driver Mounting Post: C101 oxy-free electronic copper
  • O-rings: Nitrile (Buna-N) 70 durometer (lights are fully o-ringed and TESTED to 300 feet for 5 hours)
  • Lube: Nano-Oil on threads and O-rings
  • Overall dimensions: Head Diameter=1.2" / Body Diameter=1" / Length=5.75"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better add some beamshots! This is an animated GIF so...wait for it.

MCE-animation.gif

Okay, I'll stop stalling: Here is the sales part!

PRICE: $225.00 USD (light ONLY)
PRICE: $255.00 USD (light + battery + charger)

Style: Blasted + Polished

blasted-280.jpg

Click for 1024x768 images

Style: Stone Washed

stone-280.jpg

Style: Brushed
brushed-280.jpg

HOW THIS WORKS:

So I'm selling these lights on my website and managing sales here and on the site is getting really confusing.

Please order directly from my site!

New Offering!

Now (for $5.00) I will hand color your Ti clip with a torch flame. This produces the same oxide layer as "Ti Anodizing" but it's accomplished by heating the metal. Every clip looks different and is an individual work in it's own right. Oh, and it looks awesome.

peacock.jpg

flame-ti-small.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Table Top Review...by me!

Last edited:
Re: Alpha Run #3 and pricing changes!

Jason in your futur design you should try to get the head resting flush with the body or the battery tube. a bit like the Mac's Customs design. The idea is not to have anymore this abrupt steep at the transition head/body to smoothly pass on to the other part of the light without notifying the change of part when you visually go from top to bottom of the light.

I don't know if I made me understand and if I got my idea through, may be it is worth investigating this design evolution

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hi Jason,
Can we look forward to your AA QTC light in 2012? Happy New Year! :)

I hope so :) I'm starting to give this some serious thought. Problem is...I can do a direct drive with lithium ion, but I suspect most people will want to run alkaline AA's as well and I need to find a small diameter single mode driver. Haven't found one yet so any hints would be appreciated!

fyrstormer

Banned

Not just a small-diameter single-mode driver, but one that responds to varying resistance on the input side by varying the output to the LED. I'm not sure such a driver is possible. On the other hand, a piece of QTC material could be sandwiched between two circuit boards and compressed when the battery presses against the postive contact. The QTC material could then act as the current-sensing resistor to govern the output of the driver, instead of using the QTC material on the input side like Peak does.

Actually, definitely do the second one. That idea is much better now that I think about it.

archer6817j

Enlightened

On the other hand, a piece of QTC material could be sandwiched between two circuit boards and compressed when the battery presses against the postive contact. The QTC material could then act as the current-sensing resistor to govern the output of the driver, instead of using the QTC material on the input side like Peak does.

Sounds good but not exactly clear what you mean. Could you explain a little more? Also, what battery are you thinking about for this setup? I'd love to be able to do a li-ion only version but methinks the troops might rebel :)

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I have another small batch of blasted/polished lights for sale if you've been waiting for them to be back in stock :)

blasted-280.jpg

charlton

Newly Enlightened
really liking my light Jason, Thank you, hope all is well with baby and mom