2 AAA Mini Maglite with Xenon or LED. Why won't they make one.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I have a Pelican Mity Lite 1900, that I have been carrying around for the past few days. I have been pondering to myself for a few years now "Why can't Maglite improve their 2AAA penlight?". It takes vacuum bulbs instead of Xenon or Krypton bulbs (like its older Mini Maglite brother). I have damaged the circuitry of many of them trying to fit them with the 2AA Krypton bulbs, and won't even go there with the Xenon bi-pins. It would also be awesome if they came out with an LED model (they have an LED for most of the D Sizes except 5 and 6; they have 2 and 3 AA LED models; they have 3 AAA LED models which remind me of the crappy flashlights from china; they have 2 and 3 C size LED ML series and they even have a Mag Charger LED which is smaller than the original mag charger. It seems that Tony forgot about the 2AAA mini mags and I think it's a damn shame. I have written the company many times asking them to make a xenon upgrade for that model, you know something comparable to the Pelican Mity Lite. If Pelican can engineer a bulb module that uses xenon technology and is driven on 2 AAA cells that works beautifully, why can't mag do the same thing with a bi pin bulb. Are there any 3rd party upgrades? Just my thoughts...questions comments complaints.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's a lack of demand, AA batteries have about three times the energy as AAA, and it's not that much bigger. You won't be able to make a very bright LED 2AAA light, maybe around 70 lumens max (compared to 200+ for the Mini Maglite Pro).

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I just got home from Sports Authority on Broadway in Tucson. They had a 2AAA minit-mag LED and a 2D Mag Pro LED.

FL1 specs on the 2AAA Mini were: 84 lumens, 5h:45m runtime, $18.

FL1 specs on the 2D Mag Pro were: 274 lumens, 12h:45m runtime, $40.

Sports Authority's prices are probably MSRP and thus higher that other stores. I'm gonna wait until I find a better price. Lowes will probably have the 2D's on sale on black friday.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did they have the new solitaire led as well?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wondered the same thing. The AAA Minimag and Solitare were my first EDC lights and the ones that made the AAA form light my favorite to this day. Yes, other battery type lights may throw more light and last longer but that difference in size does make a huge difference in carryablity for me personally. I have yet to find a AA or CR123 light that last as my EDC for more than a few months, just because it is uncomfortable in the pocket. My Fenix L0PSE has ridden there for 4, or 5 years now, and the Preon and STreamlight Stylus Pros have been carried interchagably in my leather jacket for several years now. With the new LED choices I am giving up less for that comfort, at least it is a give up I am willing ot make for them.

I have not yet seen the AAA Minimag LED version, I just might have to get one when they come out. The style is so nostalgic for me even if I dont really need it.