Lighting for a gun safe

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
The Wifey really wanted me to get a new gunsafe. So, I DID! :naughty: Actualy it is on order and wont be here for a couple more days. The location that I have in mind is not very well lit. The safe is a Stack-On Elite 24 gun safe (26-3/4"x23"x55") and I am looking into putting a couple of interior lights inside. I saw a couple of people have placed rope lighting inside. But, I really wanted to go LED. The issue so far that I see is that I do not see any holes that some safes use for dehumidifiers to run an electric cord through. So, do I run lights by battery or drill a hole for power...

Im going to run some sort of toggle switch that will turn on/off the lights when the door is open/closed. I saw a white light flexible strip someone recommended for a closet http://www.dealextreme.com/p/72w-33...e-light-flexible-strip-5m-length-dc-12v-93393 on another post. I also saw people mentioning that they run a battery in case the power goes off - its a VERY rare occasion that it does so I am not too concerned about it.

Anyone light up their gun safe?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a white light flexible strip someone recommended for a closet http://www.dealextreme.com/p/72w-33...e-light-flexible-strip-5m-length-dc-12v-93393 on another post.

Should work fine. I'm wondering if that claimed 5,000 lumens might be an exageration though.

I also saw people mentioning that they run a battery in case the power goes off - its a VERY rare occasion that it does so I am not too concerned about it.

Slap up a line of those 5050's going up one side, across the top, down the other side. Aim them so they point away from you, shine on the contents.

Use a door switch or a manual switch to turn them on and off. sit a small 12V battery on the floor to run them. Have a second 12V battery that sits outside the safe trickle charging, swap them once a year or as needed. No holes to drill. Maybe post a picture of the finished product for us to admire.

Cent557

Newly Enlightened
This is not as sexy as Ken solution but this is what I did to get by. I went out and got those stick on as seen on TV LED lights that are sold in a three pack and use AAA batteries and replace the sticky back with the hook part of Velcro tape and slapped them in. It's been about a year and a half now with no problems.

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
I had to order the safe and it just came in. Im going ot pick it up this weekend and see what i can do..

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about using glow tech, like tritium vials
Have you ever seen tritium vials in person? They're so dim that they look like empty glass tubes in a lit room. Now, using the thing at night it'd be enough light, but in the daytime the safe would be as dark as ever.

Unless you got a few dozen kg of tritium gas in ultra-high-pressure tubes, but I'm sure that won't happen.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yeah, tritium is very cool once its dark enough/your eyes are night adapted, etc....but if its day light but dark in the safe, you won't see much.

Of course, just aiming a flashlight into the safe/leaving a headlamp on it/nearby will solve that problem anyway.

:D

As the time the safe is open and you need to see into it will typically be for very short periods, a simple light powered by a primary cell would probably be fine.

Drilling a hole into something not designed for it can weaken the water and fire resistance of the safe, potentially defeating one of its functions.

Green.catcher

Newly Enlightened
I went to Lowes and got a small puck light kit. It comes with 3 puck lights and each puck light it has 2 LEDs on it. Comes with transformer and switch on it. It is very bright. Works great.

ChetS

Newly Enlightened
Unless you live in a really dry area you probably want to use a Golden Rod to reduce the chance of rusting. Since you then will already have power going to the inside rope lighting actually looks pretty cool in a gun safe.

Chet

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old thread. Anyway, I use a small philips spoton. Motion sensored light. Uses 3 aaa batt. 3 leds (nice neutral tint). Comes with double sided tape:) When i open the door, it lights up. Been in my gun safe for a year, still bright with the stock alkalines.

Last edited:

Bauer

Newly Enlightened
I use a couple of those tap lights. Replaced the bulbs with my spare incandescent bulbs from my 2d maglite and they are much brighter.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
In the old days, no one ever had to have a huge safe to store all their guns in. What happened since then? Has crime become so bad now that our own homes are not safe anymore? Do we all just view guns with more fear now?

SemiMan

Banned
We also used to drive without seat belts ......

Those most likely to steal a gun or take one they are not supposed to are also those most likely to use it.

Blueskies123

Newly Enlightened
I can tell by your question your house has never been broken into, best reason for a gun safe. Although having kids is an even better reason.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
All gun ownes should have a safe. 6-7 years ago the goverment made a new law here. You need a gunsafe before you can own any gun. Respect your guns or sell them all.

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
I ran 3 XR-E P4 LEDs in parallel, one on each side midway up and one on top, off a 5v 850ma phone charger. I also bought a reed switch to turn it on/off when the door opens, but I never got around to installing it. I just leave the LEDs on all the time. Figure any heat will help with moisture.