Sunwayman V20C vs Zebralight SC600

Quacker

Newly Enlightened
I have the SC600 and it is a fantastic light. The one thing i love the most about it is the electronic switch and its location and the size of the light - it has got to be one of the smallest and brightest 18650 right now. However, the multiple presses and press & hold to get to the level you want is really a pain at times especially when you are half asleep or when you are under a stressful scenario (as raised by a few members)
Now I saw the review from Selfbuilt of the Sunwayman V20C, and lone behold, it has a magnetic level selector, which i think is the best UI in any light. No need to fumble with multiple presses, just turn the dial to your desired level and switch on, simple. The V20C looks like a winner in my books when it comes to UI and build quality. The only downside is that it is slightly larger than the petite SC600. So how does it compare with the SC600? I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to be a popular light on this forum compared with the SC600. I would've thought that it would be popular considering the overall build quality, UI, output and form factor of the light plus you can pick one up for $80 that comes with a free AAA keychain light as well.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Quacker. While I haven't owned a V20C, I did own the NiteCore IFE2, which has the same basic setup, clicky tailcap switch for on/off and a magnetic control ring for level selection, and while it was a fine light, I ended up selling it and getting the SC600, and here's why.

You have to switch hand positions any time you want to either turn the light on/off or change levels, and while it's nice having the ability to fine tune the light level, it just didn't work out for me as well as I'd hoped.

Not only is the SC600's side switch more convenient (for me), but since it has 8 easily accessible and well thought out levels, I don't feel like I need to fine tune them. They are perfect just the way they are.

The other thing to realize is that the magnetic control dial requires energy to operate, cutting into the runtime when using the light on it's lowest level. Compare the runtime on low between the two lights and you'll see that the SC600 is more efficient at it's lowest level.

Of course the SC600 isn't perfect, and I'm one of those who wish their was a more sure fire way to access low without the possibility of accidentally turning it on to high, but you know, for me that's turned out to a VERY minor quibble for what I've found to be a fantastic light that I use and enjoy every day and night.

Of course, it's a matter of personal preference which UI a person prefers, so maybe you'd be more comfortable with the V20C, however, if you were going to go that route, I will say I found the magnetic control ring on the IFE2 to be superb, with extremely fine control of the low levels and excellent build quality as well.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SC600, no V20C, but a similar RRT-2, and a pocket size RRT-0.

Quack, you are right, just out of bed at 2am in the morning, it is very difficult to do a long press, for the SC600 to switch on low mode; what a darn?
Often I inadvertently do a short press, and it comes on at Turbo!
So the SC600's UI is not perfect for bedside.
I'll probably use my SC600 and TM11 for outdoors; coincidentally, my TM11 is not perfect for indoors either, since it's lowest lumen setting is 200 lumens!
The magnetic ring of the RRT-0, with the sequence of: strobe, standby, then ramping from low to high, is the best UI for out of bed in the morning.

If the magnetic ring is continuously variable, it will consume some current, such that run times on low lumen settings will be shorter; up to you if this bothers you.

The new magnetic rings, esp the V20C's, feature a "micro-current" standby. This is great. Look for these.
This means two things.
Firstly, the micro-current drain on standby, will ensure that the flashlight stands by for many many years before complete battery drain.
Something like four years or more for the V20C, if I remember correctly?
Something like 27 years for the SC600?
Something like 34 years for a HDS?

Secondly, because of the standby mode available on the magnetic ring of the V20C, we have "dual switches".
In other words, there are two switches, one on the tail end for the tactical overhand grip to hold the flashlight high above the shoulder for maximum throw, and the second switch at the neck of the flashlight for the lazy underhand hand shake grip waist height for day to day flooding.
Thus, it won't be necessary to flip the V20C backwards and forwards to operate the tail end switch and the magnetic ring.

The side switch on the SC600 does suit it's pure floody 145 meter throw nature, while the dual switches on the V20C does indeed suit it's flood-throw 155 meter throw nature.
Presently, the V20C only throws an extra 10 meters over the SC600, however I suspect that future upgrades of the V20C will be driven harder, just like the SC600, such that the V20C will throw significantly further than the SC600.
The reason the V20C has the potential to throw significantly further than the SC600 is because of design.
The V20C has a bezel diameter of 34mm as opposed to the SC600's 30mm.
The V20C also has a much deeper reflector for greater throw than the SC600; hence the V20C is also a longer flashlight.
With the V20C's greater throw, and it's future potential for even greater throw still, it is only fitting that the V20C has a tail end switch for tactical underhand grip, high above the shoulders for maximum throw - and this further increases the overall length of the V20C.

Thus, as for the SC600 with a magnetic ring option, with a micro-current standby, and continuous ramping? That's a feasible idea.
Afterall, the HDS 200 does come in Tactical [clicky] and Rotary variants.

Which of course leads us to your last topic Quack.
Why does the SC600 out-sell the pants off the V20C?
Because of the shallow reflector, no tail end clicky, 107mm short body length and some 80 odd grams lightweight, it is great for pocket carry!
Esp considering that it is an 18650 with up to 3100 mAH, and not one of those tiny capacity 16340's with only 750 mAH, less than 1/4 capacity; worse the 16340's have a slow discharge rate that cannot produce the SC600's 750 lumens OTF.
The pure floody nature of the SC600 is also unusual and useful.
Also presently, the V20C is NOT driven to it's full potential - I suspect future V20C upgrades will also be driven to 750 lumens OTF, and this will help the V20C sell more...

Last edited:

herosemblem

Enlightened
Perhaps its the Sunwayman's hundreds-of-lumens-less maximum brightness, combined with a larger, less pocketable size that makes people choose the Zebralight.