Maha C9000Charger question....

BaldGuy45

Newly Enlightened
Ok before anybody says use the search, I did and I still didnt find my answer. I bought one of these chargers today and a pack of Powerex AA's. I already had some Powerex and Eneloops that I had been charging with the Eneloop charger. The extremely rude guy at the battery store said all you have to do is put in on the Charge setting and it will do the rest. This thing is asking for charging rates and blah, blah, blah. I have no Idea in what I am doing. I bought this as it is supposed to be one of the better chargers and also has the function of bringing older batteries back to life. Can someone point me in the right direction or at least reccomend some reading for the electically challenged? None of numbers that this charger is giving me are close to the batteries capacities. (Eneloop 2000mah, Powerex 2700mah, Duracell 1800 mah, Moster cable 1500 mah ) the eneloop and powerex are new batteries (less than a month old) so I know they are not shot. Any advice would be appreciated.

BaldGuy45

Newly Enlightened
SilverFox,
Thanks for the link. While it was somewhat helpful, I still do not quite understand the readings. I put the brand new Powerex AA into the charger and chose the Charge setting. I let it go to its default setting ( which is 1000 ma) and it charged the batteries in about an hour, but the end Mah setting for all 4 batteries were in the 1100 Mah range. Seeing how the Powerex are 2700 Mah, shouldnt the end readings be that or more? Or Am I just really stupid? ( the most likely answer)

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox,
Thanks for the link. While it was somewhat helpful, I still do not quite understand the readings. I put the brand new Powerex AA into the charger and chose the Charge setting. I let it go to its default setting ( which is 1000 ma) and it charged the batteries in about an hour, but the end Mah setting for all 4 batteries were in the 1100 Mah range. Seeing how the Powerex are 2700 Mah, shouldnt the end readings be that or more? Or Am I just really stupid? ( the most likely answer)
When you charge batteries, the mAh readings give the amount of charge put in to the batteries. This is however much the batteries can hold, less however much they started out with, plus a bit extra due to unavoidable losses. So if your 2700 mAh batteries ended up reading 1100 mAh, that is good. It means they started out without about 1600 mAh already stored, which means they are working well. If the batteries started out empty and needed the whole 2700 mAh to charge them up again, you would start getting suspicious and thinking that those batteries had been sitting on a shelf gathering dust for a long time before you got them.

To find out how much the batteries can hold, you first charge them up, and then you measure the discharge. This measures how many mAh can come out of them, which is a measure of how full they were to start with. Usually this will be a bit less than the number on the battery, so don't be surprised if it is only 2500 mAh.

BaldGuy45

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! Now that makes a little more sense. It is only showing the charge it added. Thanks!