Olight - R50        
Page 1 of 106 123456781151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

Default Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

I have two Elzetta lights, a 3 cell and a 2 cell. They both have hi/low tail caps. The quality is up there, yes, with Surefire.

The black matte finish (HA III) is of the nicest I've seen.

All Elzetta parts play Lego, they all run Malkoff modules. What's not to love?

I am mystified on why there is not much talk about Elzetta, there is no shortage of Malkoff discussion!

Search Elzetta on YouTube. They hammer nails with them, shoot them with shotguns, and disassemble and reassemble UNDERWATER!

I highly recommend these lights, especially if you already own Malkoff modules, you can buy Elzetta parts A la carte. Lol.

No man shall call himself a flashaholic if his collection sans a Elzetta.

Here are a few pics of my beauties.

Last edited by PoliceScannerMan; 11-25-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

Yes they are a sweet unit, they also make kickass weapon mounts. Definatly on my short list.

Flashaholic*

Yep, no reason why I don't have one (or more) already.

Flashaholic*

Were I to mount a light on a weapon, Elzetta would be my first choice.
    Keep it between the ditches and the shiny side up.

I really like the looks of the hosts. They are built like tanks and are definitley as good or better really than Surefire hosts. The problem is they dont offer 18mm for rechargeables. At least thats my problem with them. I contacted Elzetta about it and asked if they planned on doing some hosts boed for 18mm. Short answer is "NOpe".
    I still look at them all the time. and I guess maybe a 17mm might fit and that would be ok . But they should do a 4 cell body so you could use 2x17670 but i dont think thats coming either.

I guess you dont hear more praise because they are hosts utilizing Malkoff dropins and CPFrs seem to be more into the Light Engines and the ability to run rechargeables than the host itself? I like watching those vids too though. I wish Gene would do another dropin with a lens so it wouold be waterproof again

Flashaholic*

I really love their lights. But I am not getting one because i can't slot my 18650s in there.

Flashaholic*

Always loving my Elzetta's...Very Tough and Beautiful...A must have with a Malkoff....Robert.

I would buy one if they fit 18mm cells.
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

Flashaholic*

I think I read it on Elzetta's website, but if not there then an article about them. They go with a primary only design for the very reason they are built as stout as they are. Work every time all the time when needed under constant abuse from weapon recoil. Primaries are more reliable and shock resistant to the abuse induced when firing a weapon. A very purpose built tool that happens to work well as a regular flashlight too.
    Keep it between the ditches and the shiny side up.

They are not difficult to bore to 18mm. Someone will turn up to professionally
    do the work. The Oveready triple will fit with just simple mod--think removing some
    ot the LE's anodizing to provide a ground, and opening-up the body's throat so the
    LE can sit further-in. Two 18350 IMR fit snugly (trim contact springs).
    Worst part of Elzetta marketing was the pictures they chose to run, made the light look awkwardly out of balance (big head, small body). They are really quite compact, smaller than a 6P. Best HAlll ever, feels like cloth.
    Gotta luv Legos!
    Regards, Chuck

My 2 cell elzetta is my favorite light. The m60 with the high low switch is perfect for camping. I run it with a 17670.
    Elzetta M60 | Fenix E01 E05 | Surefire 6P C2 E2E E2L-AA | Malkoff: M61-219 M61HCRI M61 Malkoff 3D Maglite
    Certified Malkoff Junkie....

I've been drooling over the 2 cell with the low profile bezel. Looks really tough. Im definitely getting one soon.

I have 2 Elzetta lights with high/low clickies. They are both wonderful lights. Malkoff emitters. Built like a tank. They have an excellent record of reliability with law enforcement and the military. This is one tough light.

Flashaholic*

look nice,
    never heared of them

but this "built like a tank" - mentionned a few times here - thats the main neg. point.
    A light has to be light, its already in its name.

I've been looking at Elzetta's & they certainly look like a great light to own,so i might just pull the trigger on one of these,
    they have to earn a reputation for being as good as some of the well known lights before they become a house hold name.I've
    got the feeling the Elzetta will do this over time but they are a quite new light & if i want one i'll have to buy from the U.S .
    What another new light!!!

Flashaholic*

I have the ZFL-M60-CS3D, which is the 3-cell crenelated bezel hi/lo switch version.

IMO, it is the highest quality, best built host that you can buy, and it has the best feature set for a tactical light with all tailcap control, and a very predictable action GREAT momentary and nearly silent switch.
    Best HAIII that I've ever seen, and is virtually a perfect match for a Colt AR15 anodizing.
    Malkoff light engines with a perfect mated fit for the Malkoff drop-ins for best thermal management.
    You can't beat this light for a 2-cell or 3-cell P60 host. It dominates the competition.

I love mine. If the word ever gets out about these Elzettas, then Surefire is gonna be in trouble.

I have also been eye balling the ZFL-CS2D. Using the 17670 is OK for me but If I do get this light I will probably get it bored to 18650. Don't mean to go off topic but who offers the best deal on these and has anyone threw on a clip for EDCing? Thanks.
    Last edited by BIGLOU; 11-26-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLOU View Post
    I have also been eye balling the ZFL-CS2D. Using the 17670 is OK for me but If I do get this light I will probably get it bored to 18650. Don't mean to go off topic but who offers the best deal on these and has anyone threw on a clip for EDCing? Thanks.
    Dark Sucks in the custom forum makes a nice titanium clip for $25 that fits it.

Flashaholic*

SF = no 18650 support
    Elzetta = no 18650 support
    I'll pass

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by marinemaster View Post
    SF = no 18650 support
    I'll pass
    LOL!!!! Oh wait, you were serious?
    Last edited by shane45_1911; 11-26-2011 at 03:31 PM.

No 26650 support.

I'll pass.

Actually thinking of getting an Ogaz. But I've seen the videos of the hammering, but I've also seen torture tests of Jetbeams too.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by shane45_1911 View Post
    LOL!!!! Oh wait, you were serious?
    LOL.... I knew this would come out....

I am serious. Well i know i could use 16340s, but the hit in capacity is quite a fair bit like more than half. So that definitely does not taste sweet. Managing like 8 pcs of 16340 and to be part of about 8-10 people in the team is not fun. CR123 costs a lot in my country be it locally or shipped, probably i/we/they would easily have raked > $5000 in batteries per year if I/we/they use it in reality. (it's nearly 2 sets 18650 per night). We In addition to the HIDs, they also use budgetlights and Jetbeam RRT-2 for the rougher conditions. The good thing about budgetlights is that switches/lenses are always cheap and available and believe it or not some are tough. The single RRT-2 i sent over (it's being used in Indonesia) already is pretty scractched up and it's used by the team leader. HIDs do not surive once they drop 50-60m to the soft ground from tropical trees.

Wait...maybe more than $5000 per year.
    Last edited by 2100; 11-26-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Flashaholic*

If you won't be using it as a weaponlight, you can use a pair of 14500 in it, if you get the 3-cell model.

The reason that no serious weaponlight-rated lights use the li-ion rechargeables is that the recoil can wreck the battery's protection IC, and that compromises the light.
    Serious lights don't use li-ion rechargeables if they are intended for combat roles.
    That's why Surefire doesn't do it either.
    But you a get around it with a 3-cell model and a pair of 14500. Only 750mah, though. But it will give you the recharging ability, and give you the right voltage.

Policescannerman (or anyone else) - I see you are a fan of malkoff lights and elzetta lights. Could you describe the differences between the housings? Advantages and disadvantages of one vs. the other?

Enlightened

I also very much appreciate my Elzetta's. They're tough, reliable, use Malkoff-modules and offer a variety of interchangeable tailcaps, bodies and bezels. They're worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by calflash View Post
    Policescannerman (or anyone else) - I see you are a fan of malkoff lights and elzetta lights. Could you describe the differences between the housings? Advantages and disadvantages of one vs. the other?
    Calflash, maybe this thread by pjandyho answers some of your questions.

'How does Elzetta ZFL-M60 stack up to Malkoff MD2?':
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...to-Malkoff-MD2

P.S.: I do wish Elzetta could also offer completely round 2-cell and 3-cell bodies with removable / adjustable rubber grip rings, comparable to the SureFire Z2 / Z3 bodies, without being accused of SF patent infringement. THAT would make great hand held tactical lights! Anybody at Elzetta reading this?
    Last edited by Nachtwacht; 11-27-2011 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Adding p.s.

Flashaholic*

best kept secret
    I just checked prices and now have to disagree.

Whats the secret in a light that costs more than a custom HA/custom colored overady P60 host, bored for 18650, with McKlicky, together with a custom made nailbender multimode P60 insert?

If it were less, then ...

Where does one purchase a host only with high low switch?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by yellow
    I just checked prices and now have to disagree.

Whats the secret in a light that costs more than a custom HA/custom colored overady P60 host, bored for 18650, with McKlicky, together with a custom made nailbender multimode P60 insert?

If it were less, then ...
    It's the ruggedness of the elzetta's displayed in the videos that makes them look awesome. I'm not even sure my surefires can take the kind of beating shown in those videos.

I am mystified on why there is not much talk about Elzetta
    My guess is that the company is still small enough that their ad budget is somewhat limited & they are target marketing rather than blanket marketing. They run a banner ad on AR15.com, post regularly there, and are a well respected light. Their focus is weapon lights & they've recently brought out a tape switch that allows forward mounting the light on any AR-type rifle & activating it with the non trigger hand.

They are not difficult to bore to 18mm. Someone will turn up to professionally
    do the work.
    I haven't yet bored an Elzetta but it looks like there's plenty of tube thickness to work with.

SF = no 18650 support
    Everything I've read on AR15.com indicates that primaries are the preferred power source for weapon lights, both for long guns & pistols. It isn't surprising that battle lights like SF & Elzetta are designed around primaries.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

The ones I've handled were certainly high quality, and having Gene's dropins are never a negative. And I know they are tough, but I just can't get past the aesthetics. I pit them in the same category as Sig handguns. I know they are good in quality of construction, materials, and performance... but nothing in their line gets me excited.

Page 1 of 106 123456781151101 ... LastLast