NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 110 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1060100103104105106107108109110111112113114115 LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,300 of 3435

Thread: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

I find it interesting that M60 talk is on the Elzetta thread. The junky thread seems to all be about the engines that end with 1.

Anyway, I was thinking that at one point an M60 was an either or number where the numbers 17 and 90 were used to distiguish the thrower from the flooder. So when an M60 thrower came up for sale I bought it for a Pentagon cop light to see if it did indeed toss a beam farther than my M61 equipped 6P. Dang sure did too.

It was all ringy-like with a cool beam that would definitely be scoffed at these days. But man, I'd bet back then folks must've thought they'd died and gone to heaven where flashlights had 100,000 hour light bulbs with whopping runtimes and brightness.
    John 3:16

Default Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Most (not all) M60 were XR-E ....
    Thanks for the info, I knew I couldnít remember that correct. Lol...

Yeah the M60 isnít for a white wall hunter but I can testify for use on the street at work. You donít even notice it. I keep it in a G2Z now for use in the winter time. I hate grabbing a cold metal light with bare hands. We donít always have time to put gloves on.
    Last edited by Greenbean; 02-13-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post

Yeah the M60 isnít for a white wall hunter but I can testify for use on the street at work. You donít even notice it. I keep it in a G2Z now for use in the winter time. I hate grabbing a cold metal light with bare hands. We donít always have time to put gloves on.
    Sure, I mostly use my M60LL in a yellow G3
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I find it interesting that M60 talk is on the Elzetta thread. The junky thread seems to all be about the engines that end with 1.
    I suppose there's a lot of overlap between Malkoff and Elzetta fans. Elzetta did start off almost as a client, making their bones on the reputation for toughness that relied in great part on the bombproof M60 dropin. And the two companies seem to have pretty similar product philosophies. While I love both brands, I am content to let Elzetta be Elzetta and Malkoff be Malkoff. I've got four Elzetta bodies counting my Alpha and all but one have Elzetta light engines. I do have one Bravo set up with an M61N which is an awesome light. But I really love the ones set up with the superb AVS heads, too.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Sure, I mostly use my M60LL in a yellow G3
    Wait, a yellow G3?!

Thatís rare isnít it?

I remember the firemanís model that looked like a G3 but havenít seen anything other than black personally.

I want an AVS model eventually, although Iím probably better off just buying an AVS head to go on a body.

I wish the High/Low tailcaps werenít so costly. Well thatís relative as Iíve spent triple that for some certain Surefire tailcaps but still. Lol...

M60 was indeed a treasure.
    I remember folks saying you had to modify them to work in Pentagons. When I bought a used M60 the intention was a SureFire G2 but a Pentagon eX2 whispered "try it in me" and it fit pretty good with no mods at all. Fits a bit loose so heat sync isn't optimal I suppose.
    Kind of a novelty thing with a 5 side tailcap and the vintage Malkoff beam, but it's a holster friendly conversation starter. (For those few who actually give a rip about which flashlight you're using)

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    (For those few who actually give a rip about which flashlight you're using)

True, true....

And they never care until they realize how much better you can see than they can.

My Streamlight SL20 with the Malkoff drop-in always gets comments and questions! Itís unreal compared to the Incan version some of the guys still carry.

Anyways, I have some Elzettas coming for testing at work, I do remember the fit being good as they seemed to be smaller diameter in the hand and pretty compact.

Iím still going to need to get an AVS head though eventually. Until then one of my M91Bs is going into a 3-cell with the older smaller head.

Iím still going to need to get an AVS head though eventually. Until then one of my M91Bs is going into a 3-cell with the older smaller head.
    The AVS has a lot of great characteristics, but for what it's worth, I prefer the beam profile of the M91B because it has more of a traditional hotpot. Both the AVS and the M91B have wide beams, but I enjoy the effect of the reflector. All very subjective, of course.

Elzetta argues, rightly, that their AVS optic is tougher than a reflector, but you'd have to hit the front of that reflector with a photon torpedo to cause any damage.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Elzetta argues, rightly, that their AVS optic is tougher than a reflector, but you'd have to hit the front of that reflector with a photon torpedo to cause any damage.
    lol

I am in the Elzetta thread, correct?

Somehow I have worked my way up to 1 Charlie, 3 Bravo's (only 1 with AVS), and 1 Alpha 315. 1 Bravo and 1 Charlie, bored (by yours truly) to be able to actually accept 18650 protected cells. others are currently stock bodies. Sadly my bored Bravo was initially purchased from oveready but I couldn't use any of my panasonic, lg, keeppower protected cells. Only my AW protected would fit but I am not paying $20+ per cell.

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post

Somehow I have worked my way up to 1 Charlie, 3 Bravo's (only 1 with AVS), and 1 Alpha 315. 1 Bravo and 1 Charlie, bored (by yours truly) to be able to actually accept 18650 protected cells. others are currently stock bodies. Sadly my bored Bravo was initially purchased from oveready but I couldn't use any of my panasonic, lg, keeppower protected cells. Only my AW protected would fit but I am not paying $20+ per cell.
    Sorry, but whatís wrong with using unprotected batteries? When I notice the brightness go down I check the battery (16650 in my case) and recharge it. Never managed to overdischarge a battery. And this is probably the main reason I stopped buying protected cells ó I prefer not to pay for something I never use (sorry, sorry, lights themselves do not count ).
    Last edited by vadimax; 02-18-2018 at 02:50 AM.

I'm the same as you Vad, I've gone over to unprotected as I've had a few PCBs fail on me. Also, I really don't like being left in the dark.
    The only thing that worries me is using them in series. I've now bought a charger that will do a capacity test to keep it a bit safer.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    I'm the same as you Vad, I've gone over to unprotected as I've had a few PCBs fail on me. Also, I really don't like being left in the dark.
    The only thing that worries me is using them in series. I've now bought a charger that will do a capacity test to keep it a bit safer.
    P
    I guess multicell lights feature their own overdischarge protection. For example, my several years old TN32 first drops off high modes and later ó starts a warning blinking (3 times in a row with 1 minute interval) when its battery cage total voltage drops to 9V (3V each cell).

Regarding Elzetta (Bravo in my case) ó multicell (2xRCR123) load produces brightness oscillations (900 <-> 600 lm) when each battery voltage drops to 3.414V. Just cannot do not notice that
    Last edited by vadimax; 02-18-2018 at 03:42 AM.

It's the worry of pairing two cells with non matching capacities due to age of abuse that's doing it for me..
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 02-20-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post

I'm sure your machinist skills are up to snuff, but aren't you worried about removing too much material from the host? I sold my bored out Charile, but I remember being frustrated initially that it would accept only AW unprotected cells. Later on, I observed that OR had cut into the threads about as far as I'd be willing to go.

Your Charlie tube would be the counter example that proves me wrong, of course. If you have an opportunity, would you mind posting a photo of the threads?

I have been using unprotected 18500 Sanyo cells for a few years now. No issues at all. I pay close attention to the cell voltage and keep the cells matched up. As soon as I see a slight output in lumens, I recharge.
    I prefer the 16650 cells in my Bravo. They work fine for around the house stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamerat View Post
    My dear alpha fell 60-70 cm onto its butt, i.e. the high low tail switch. It didn't like the meet with the bathroom tiles and the light has decided to only show me high. Very disappointed.
    Elzetta replaced the Alpha High-Low tailcap. The pin was damaged after the mentioned fall. Thanks to Elzetta for hassle free and great customer service.

Anyone ever modify the throw optic on the avs head to make it more of a uniform spot rather than the fried egg beam it has factory? I know there is a flood optic but id rather still have some throw.
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marin View Post
    Anyone ever modify the throw optic on the avs head to make it more of a uniform spot rather than the fried egg beam it has factory? I know there is a flood optic but id rather still have some throw.
    I've never tried to modify it, but I have tried to replace it with various carclo optics. Never had any success. After living with the standard AVS lens for some time, I've come to terms with its beam pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marin View Post
    I have settled the issue another way: Elzetta AVS with flood lens + Surefire Fury in another pocket

Elzetta Bravo AVS with a Malkoff Tricap. The finish doesn't quite match, but for those less aesthetically sensitive, it adds just the right amount of length to balance it in hand. I always felt like the Bravo was a tad front heavy and a little short for my grip. The anti-roll characteristics are outstanding. And now it can tail stand! Of course, this sacrifices the low beam, but I don't use the low setting much on this light anyway. Elzetta's switches are nice, but I prefer the shrouded soft press.

Modernflame Frankenstein attacks again. lol
    I liked the creature!

Did any of you ever need to contact elzetta support? Which email did you send a message to? How was the service? I already sent some emails to them but no response. One month since the first contact ...

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    Did any of you ever need to contact elzetta support? Which email did you send a message to? How was the service? I already sent some emails to them but no response. One month since the first contact ...
    One week max any time I've contacted them but....
    I make sure the title stands out in a positive way from the rest of the crowd of emails that clutter the inbox of companies...
    Honey attracts more flies than vinegar and all that. Elzetta has a small staff who stay in the field a lot. So time spent answering emails is not one of their strong points.

Gene Malkoff is rare treasure. It seems he can build flashlights, eat lunch and answer emails at the same time.

really, the title of the email is important ... I will try one more time with an even better title ... I agree with you. malkoff is the best company in post and pre sales service I have ever had contact with. for me this defines how much my next purchases will be.

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    really, the title of the email is important ... I will try one more time with an even better title ... I agree with you. malkoff is the best company in post and pre sales service I have ever had contact with. for me this defines how much my next purchases will be.

Try emailing Wade. The info mail box is a graveyard for lost emails. I have unanswered emails there more than a year old.
    Last edited by Modernflame; 03-19-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Flashaholic

I emailed Elzetta once when I was working nightshift and I approximated US time to be business hours. I had a reply from them within a couple of hours and that was to the info account. I used the title ĎElzetta to Ausí which probably stands out a little bit more than a lot of emails.

will we be lucky enough to see a new flashlight from elzetta? I am anxious to see what they will reveal.

Elzetta Alpha Camo Cerakote Limited Edition has been released. Ordered one.
    Last edited by vadimax; 03-19-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Ordered!.
    HDS Tactical Rotary, HDS Rotary, HDS HCRI 200 Rotary, HDS Hunter Red Rotary, HDS Forensic Blue Rotary, HDS Green Rotary.

Page 110 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1060100103104105106107108109110111112113114115 LastLast