RMSK, Inc.        
Page 113 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1363103106107108109110111112113114115 LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 3426

Thread: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

The build quality is what first attracted me to Elzetta. Despite my profound appreciation for the Elzetta AVS, I was never the target customer since I don't carry weapons or work in law enforcement. I finally sold all my Elzetta stuff precisely because I was weary of dependence on lithium primaries. I don't want to have to choose between 18650 compatibility (Bones) and low beam capability (modular series).

It is also clear to me that the AVS was never intended for pocket carry. It is a duty light, built from the ground up. Of course, I knew that up front, but I just craved that craftsman hammer type reliability. I've since found it elsewhere.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic*

Can the Bones use the same size clip as the Alpha?

I use the Prometheus titanium clip on my Alphas -- want to know if they'll fit the Bones before I consider buying one.

Thanks.
    Oveready Boss 35 & 70; LensLight Mini; HDS Rotary 325 XP-L, Clicky 170W; ZebraLight SC 600 MK III HI, SC600W, SC62W, SC60W, SC52W, SC51C, SC5W; EagleTac NW D25LC2 Tactical, NW D25LC2, NW D25A, NW D25C, DX30LC2 Clicky, DX3B Mini; Nitecore D10R2 and D10R2 (Tribute); Elzetta Alpha; Jaxman E3; Reylight Ti

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by hatman View Post
    Can the Bones use the same size clip as the Alpha?

I use the Prometheus titanium clip on my Alphas -- want to know if they'll fit the Bones before I consider buying one.

Thanks.
    Update -- I see that this question was asked and answered in post 3341 and 3342.
    Oveready Boss 35 & 70; LensLight Mini; HDS Rotary 325 XP-L, Clicky 170W; ZebraLight SC 600 MK III HI, SC600W, SC62W, SC60W, SC52W, SC51C, SC5W; EagleTac NW D25LC2 Tactical, NW D25LC2, NW D25A, NW D25C, DX30LC2 Clicky, DX3B Mini; Nitecore D10R2 and D10R2 (Tribute); Elzetta Alpha; Jaxman E3; Reylight Ti

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    can a prometheus Ti Clip or their PVD clip, fit a BONES?.
    does anyone use a clip on their bones?.

thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    I used the Prometheus Ti clip on my Bones, fit perfect. Donated the Bones to my son but kept the clip for use on my Bravo.
    Yes.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

I just ordered an Elzetta Bones as they have a Memorial day code`REMEMBER`
    I was looking at this light for quite some time as I have a bunch of 18650`s I carry and rated at 650 lumens is not overkill for using this as my work and run at night light.
    I`m going to pair it with a Raven Concealement Clip (very sturdy)I use on my Malkoff lights.
    Can`t wait to get it and try it out

The Bones is a very well thought out, stripped down version of a modern flashlight. Well worth the coin if you don't need anything but on/off in a flashlight. The beam in my view was the charm in that it is part thrower, part flooder and a tint that doesn't cause the user to squint.

The only shortcoming is with all Elzetta lights, if hand held it puts out light all the way back to the user. Not good if you are in a role where you don't want an unseen perp to see your torsoe. To me, that's where SureFire pulls ahead of Elzetta in combat use. A gap in the light between the user and where light begins is a potential life saver.

But for us regular folks the Bones is a great lighting tool. I use mine to light up darkened objects in the daytime.

Good score btw.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 05-27-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    I don't know that the cracked lens is as rare as you think. Mine has suffered the same fate. So far doesn't effect performance so I haven't replaced it yet.
    Yes, cracks do not greatly affect the performance. dangerous cracks are those that are through to the core,
    through which water can get inside. Yesterday I received another, I did not do anything,
    she just appeared deep inside, like ice crackles.

I also noticed an interesting feature in the driver behavior.
    Perhaps this is his normal behavior. At one point in time, I noticed that Alpha sometimes
    does not turn on in weak mode, that is, out of 10 inclusions 1 does not work.
    I had an idea that something was wrong with a button or pin to turn on weak mode.
    After a while it began to repeat more often and at some point the flashlight stopped turning on
    in weak mode. But if I turn on the strong mode and turn the cap, then the weak mode works again.
    After a while, the weak regime ceased to be included even in this way.
    Then the strong regime began to be unstable as well, in the end the situation has reached the point
    where I turn on the button and nothing happens and it is necessary to turn the cap several times
    (like SureFire 6P) when the button is turned on, so that the flashlight lights up.
    And then it dawned on me that the battery just died

It was the battery with which he came to me, she worked for about a 2 weeks with periodic use,
    that is, I bathed with him, replacing the general lighting, walked around the neighborhood in the evening,
    lit up dark places at work (I'm an electrician). In principle, my E1L eats batteries at the same speed.

I was confused by this driver behavior, I'm more used to behavior, like SureFire,
    when the battery is exhausted, the light starts to flicker as a candle with a weak air movement
    and fade out, and then it turns off. Here I found flicker of light only at the stage when
    to turn on the weak mode I needed to turn on the strong mode and turn the cap off
    to get a weak mode and then, when to turn on the strong mode it was required
    to turn on the button and rotate the lid, as on SF 6P.

It would be nice to introduce a low battery warning system.
    I have an lantern produced in 1994 (lantern for railway service), it has this system and it works fine.
    When the battery charge is nearing depletion, the flashlight starts to do 2 short blinks about once a minute.
    The closer to exhaustion, the more often it does, it's actually very annoying,
    but modern electronics would simply blink at the same frequency (2 times per minute),
    this allows you to remember that the charge is small and you need to change the battery
    or use it more economically.

Last edited by desert.snake; 05-30-2018 at 03:00 AM.

Have Elzetta addressed the optics support issue with the use of the 'reflector holder' discussed in The Lite Review, or did it have this holder from the start?

Hello, today I crawled through dark and dirty places at work.
    I dirty my Alpha in dust, water and engine oil and decided to clean it in the evening.

It should be mentioned that when the hands are in slippery oil, turning the tail cap
    is not convenient for switching to a weak mode or strong mode.
    Very little grip. In this aspect, the SF defeats the Elzetta in my eyes,
    the notches on the tailcap of the SF is gorgeous.

Waterproofness is also not at its best. Here it's not even a cracked lens,
    case in the arrangement of the gaskets.
    The gasket must be between the TIR edge and the main body of the flashlight.
    Then under external pressure, the TIR will pressure the gasket,
    preventing water from entering.

Now the gaskets are arranged so that, under external pressure and microdeformation
    of the lens or its holder, there is the creation of microslits and the ingress of water into.

So, after work, I found inside (for TIR) a water mist. I dismantled the flashlight,
    In addition to water vapor, a little oil. I gently rubbed all via the ethyl alcohol.

And here in my eyes the back of the TIR was covered with small cracks!
    I thought and came to the conclusion that this is an acrylic reaction
    to a certain temperature gradient on the surface.

Lenses are clearly made using casting technology. Cast acrylic requires subsequent
    thermal treatment to remove internal stresses. But no one does this because of savings.
    When the alcohol evaporates from the surface, it takes away heat and creates
    a temperature unevenness. If the material has strong internal stresses,
    then they are released and cause cracks. This is not a chemical reaction,
    it is a purely physical reaction.

So I want to warn all Elzetta owners - do not use fast volatile liquids (especially alcohol) on the back of the TIR!

On the shape of the ray these small cracks have minimal effect.

Interestingly, on the inside of the flashlight, under the lens holder,
    I found a laser inscription "LA-DA-SA-MA" and laughed very long.
    The fact is that we had a car with almost the same name "LADA SAMARA"
    it was just a rusty bucket with bolts. It rusts faster than Alpha-Romeo.

That's one ugly lens. Thanks for the heads-up.

Yesterday I decided to check the time with different batteries.

06.56 Robiton 16340 550 mah
    07.15 died

07.21 Tenergy LiFePO4 400 mah
    07.23 brightness fell
    07.26 died

07.27 second Tenergy
    07.36 died

07.42 SF123 new (unused), made in 2006
    08.31 brightness decreased noticeably
    08.40 has decreased further
    09.00 yet decreased
    09.56 barely shining, you can light something in 5 cm
    10.12 smoldering, no useful light, light 6-7 mm
    10.22 disconnected at all

The operating time from CR123 coincides with the claimed
    (considering that the battery is 2 years overdue).
    Time to work with Robiton did not surprise me,
    the ratio of working time is exactly corresponds to the ratio of the stored energy.
    Time to work with Tenergy surprised me,
    too quickly the batteries died. In the theory of the energy reserve
    in Tenergy 400 mAh is 3,7 times less than in the primary cell, but the work time
    was not 3.7 times less, but 5.5 and 8 times less.

Then, as for Tenergy, I will recheck, maybe I was wrong somewhere
    and they were not fully charged.

Flashaholic

^^ When Hot meets Cold = CRACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    ^^ When Hot meets Cold = CRACK!!
    Yeah, but he was not hot. It was room temperature about 18 degrees.
    Alcohol, evaporating, made the surface very cold, which in principle is the same

Maybe it will be important, it's medical alcohol 95%
    Last edited by desert.snake; 06-01-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Update information. It's not about the temperature.

This Rehbinder effect - h

https://slideheaven.com/rehbinder-ef...nophysics.html here is more clear

https://link.springer.com/article/10...70205113050109

Alcohol in this case was an active substance for the material of this lens.
    The lens already had a lot of internal stresses due to the fact that it is cast and the fact that
    it is constantly subjected to heating and cooling. The active liquid simply weakened the bonds between
    the lens molecules and cracks appeared.
    Last edited by desert.snake; 06-03-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Had a little glitch tonight. I was messing around with my Bravo w/ M61N drop in. The light wouldn't turn on when the switch was on high. I was running a 16650 cell. Tested it and all was good. Threw it in a Surefire with the same M61N and all was good. Wiped some of the grease off the tail and tail end of the body. The Bravo seems to be working as it's supposed to again. I've never seen a Malkoff do that before, granted the Bravo was somewhat heavily greased. It seems like the grease was the problem. Should I be worried about the light failing on me? I just find it hard to believe grease would stop the switch from working right.

Had a little glitch tonight. I was messing around with my Bravo w/ M61N drop in. The light wouldn't turn on when the switch was on high. I was running a 16650 cell. Tested it and all was good. Threw it in a Surefire with the same M61N and all was good. Wiped some of the grease off the tail and tail end of the body. The Bravo seems to be working as it's supposed to again. I've never seen a Malkoff do that before, granted the Bravo was somewhat heavily greased. It seems like the grease was the problem. Should I be worried about the light failing on me? I just find it hard to believe grease would stop the switch from working right.
    Perhaps the point is the sensitivity of the movable pin, through which the current flows
    in a weak mode. That is, a lot of thick grease just pushed the pin a little upward
    and the contact was interrupted. Either the spring pushing the pin down is weak.

Similar was during the Second World War on machine guns on aircraft,
    when there was too much lubricant, then it hardened in the cold
    and the machine gun jammed during the fight.

Will not it be easy for you to press something, such as a wooden stick,
    onto the movable pin in the Elzetta cap and on the Malkoff resistor ring?
    I'm wondering if there is a difference in the force of pressing

Still wondering what kind of lubricant do you use? Once I bought used Surefire 6P,
    its grease, when I opened it, looked like dry clay, it dried and decomposed into powder.

I've never tried to mess with the movable pin. I don't know that I'd feel the difference with something so small. Typically it's not something I would mess with. I don't want to break it!

Grease is from the factory. I don't know what Elzetta uses. It was not hard at all. There was just a lot of it.

When you say that the light wouldn't activate on high mode, do you mean that you get low beam when the tail cap is fully tightened? Or do you mean you get nothing at all? Also, how long have you had the Elzetta host?

It's definitely a contact issue at the tail cap, not the module. Elzetta uses Molykote 55 for thread/O-ring lubricant, which shouldn't interfere with the circuit.

When tightened in high mode I'd get nothing. Loosen to low and low worked fine. The host was bought new and is only a month or two old. I figure it sat on a shelf for a while.

I checked the movable pin in a Malkoff and the Elzetta. They feel the same. I imagine Elzetta adopted the methodology from Gene.

Update:. Stuck with low mode only again if I get anything at all. This is very dissappointing. The movable pin is not stuck and it moves freely.
    Last edited by nmiller; 06-03-2018 at 08:07 AM.

When tightened in high mode I'd get nothing. Loosen to low and low worked fine. The host was bought new and is only a month or two old. I figure it sat on a shelf for a while.

I checked the movable pin in a Malkoff and the Elzetta. They feel the same. I imagine Elzetta adopted the methodology from Gene.

Update:. Stuck with low mode only again if I get anything at all. This is very dissappointing. The movable pin is not stuck and it moves freely.
    Elzetta should cover that tail cap under warranty. In the interim, you can Lego a malkoff tail cap or tricap. You won't get low beam but you can at least use high while they make the exchange.

I'm going to return the light for a refund. I am currently dealing with a flickering Alpha as well. That one will go back to Elzetta for repair. The Alpha is my EDC. I have two of the 415 lumen versions. To me it is the perfect edc. Right now I'm frustrated. I've never had a light actually not work as advertised. Never been tough on my equipment, but for work I need light when I need light and from a brand like Elzetta I expect things to work right. I know it's not fair to judge this quickly and I plan to stick with the Alpha as my EDC, I just don't like what I've experienced in the past 48 hours. I've carried my second Alpha for over a year with no issues. It's been through training exercises and live enforcement actions with no issues. I'll just stick to my plan and carry a 6P with a drop in or a Hounddog as needed. The ironic part, the bravo host was bought to be the bulletproof emergency light for around the house.

Flashaholic

Do any of you guys have experience running the Elzetta two stage tailcap on a 6P? I've been digging around looking for info, and it seems that although it functions fine, there is a issue where it will not thread down past the o-ring. Is that the case?

And is there any difference between the 2 different tailcap models Elzetta offers, as far as threading onto the 6P?

I never thought about it, but before me lie is Elzetta and 6P, now I'll try for you.

It really works!

The cap does not go any further because of the mismatch of thread lengths.
    The entire length of the inside of the Alpha cap is ~ 12 mm,
    At 6P 12 mm this is just the length from the tip of the thread to the annular gasket.

Flashaholic

Desertsnake, thank you. If I'm reading your diagraham correctly, if one were to put the oring on the first slot, rather than the second slot, wouldn't the tailcap then thread down over the oring for a tight seal?

I was seriously considering an Elzetta as a faeces hits the fan light, but having seen this thread, I reckon a Malkoff M61 MD2 will fulfil that role instead. What a shame that an otherwise very promising light is let down by a bit of plastic at the front.

Yes, that's for sure, I did not notice!

At full twisting I see about 1/5 of a part of a white metal of a border which divides 2 grooves for linings.

Another remark - for any fluctuation the light flashes, here the length of the springs
    for the qualitative clamping of the battery slightly insufficient.
    But I'm using a bodied 18650 body and I have a M60F module,
    this makes a slight difference in the length of the springs compared to the original 6P,
    and 18650 with flat top. It is possible to use a protected battery or small neodymium magnets
    to increase the length of the battery that will correct clamping force.

I've purchased new old stock Elzettas that require a little buffing of the battery tube on the tail. The grease Elzetta uses either hardens or the aluminum oxidizes. Some metal polish fixed the problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSalt View Post
    I was seriously considering an Elzetta as a faeces hits the fan light, but having seen this thread, I reckon a Malkoff M61 MD2 will fulfil that role instead. What a shame that an otherwise very promising light is let down by a bit of plastic at the front.
    Either brand will work well for rotary fecal distribution. The problem he's experienced will be unique to the high/low tail cap, and a very rare disorder at that. I personally prefer Malkoff for a number of reasons, but I still think that Elzetta is tough enough.

No doubt Elzettas are tough enough. Frankly, I'm being unfair. I know it. If the light was something I really needed I'd get it fixed and move on. That is why I'm Going to get the Alpha fixed. I don't think I could live without one and will probably get another if the price is right or a new model comes out. Overall the Alpha in my pocket and a hound dog on my belt is a better option for me. The Alpha covers 99% of my needs. There isn't a light out there that I'm aware of that will cause me to leave it behind.

The Alpha covers 99% of my needs. There isn't a light out there that I'm aware of that will cause me to leave it behind.
    I'm receiving what you're sending, but this is CPF. Never say never!

Page 113 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1363103106107108109110111112113114115 LastLast