Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 1272

Thread: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

  1. #91
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,855

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    I say, get a spare head, and get out your dremel, file, and sandpaper, and modify the inside of that one head to take the other modules you want.
    I've thought of that before. Unfortunately I can't re-anodize the area I shave off. Now, if they made a titanium special edition, I could work with that...

  2. #92
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,855

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    A-10 Warthog tank killer plane comes to mind. One of the ugliest aircraft in our nation's arsenal, but does well what no other can. I've had the privilege of having them flying over and ahead of me in an air support role, and was not caring about how they look.
    I wonder if I'm the only person on earth who thinks the A-10 looks pretty cool. It's not elegant, admittedly, but that's not the point. The point is it can fly low to the ground and blow s**t up at close range. Though I have to admit, if I could only own one military aircraft (as opposed to my current collection of zero ), it would have to be a V-22.

  3. #93

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by yifu View Post
    Not really interested personally. They are
    1. Ugly compared to Surefire lights.
    2. Not really idea as a P60 host since they are missing a lens and aren't compatible with 18650 cells, the latter can be fixed by boring of course.
    3. No pocket clip and not compatible with aftermarket Surefire upgrades like bezel rings, Derelin shrouds, McClickys etc.
    Your mileage may vary.
    1. Surefire lights are utilitarian, not pretty. No one buys Surefires because of their beauty!
    2. You can buy lenses for M61, etc. Not very costly, either. For a weapon light, you don't want rechargeables, primaries are more reliable for the use these flashlights are intended for.
    3. You don't need these particular "upgrades". The bezel is tough enough as it is, the Derlin shroud would get in the way of easy one-finger operation as the light hangs from its weapon, and the switch is fine for its intended use as well.

    And what about the pluses of this light? Don't they deserve a mention?

    4. You get the hi-low choice in the tailcap, which is not easily available in some other surefire lego setups.
    5. You get a strobe option! A great option that is even less easily available in the surefire lego setups with Malkoff drop-ins.
    6. You get continued availability of the M60! This is now not normally offered by Malkoff devices, as they have moved on to the M61 line. Yet may of us liked its optic much better (as always, for certain uses) than the reflectored M61. So this is great to ensure continued availability.
    7. The "tolerances" of this light are tighter than with the Surefire legos, which often need some tweaking to work--maybe copper rings, copper tape, other tinkering here and there. The extra "gasket" type water protection (inside the light) also helps protect this against water incursions. You can achieve something similar with surefire legos, but maybe not as easily (since it is not in the design, as such) or reliably.

    Basically, why criticize a light by saying it doesn't do something outside of its main intended use as well as other lights that are designed for these other uses? Even to use it outside of its main intended use as a weapon light, the Elzetta is pretty useful, as a 2x123 primary (or 2xRCR123) light that is pretty impervious to water and to other malfunctions, with the option of hi-low or hi-strobe which is most often unavailable in similar surefire lego contraptions. No one stops anyone from having also more than one light for different situations!

  4. #94
    Flashaholic* run4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Back in Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    2,758

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by flashy bazook View Post
    1. Surefire lights are utilitarian, not pretty. No one buys Surefires because of their beauty!
    2. You can buy lenses for M61, etc. Not very costly, either. For a weapon light, you don't want rechargeables, primaries are more reliable for the use these flashlights are intended for.
    3. You don't need these particular "upgrades". The bezel is tough enough as it is, the Derlin shroud would get in the way of easy one-finger operation as the light hangs from its weapon, and the switch is fine for its intended use as well.

    And what about the pluses of this light? Don't they deserve a mention?

    4. You get the hi-low choice in the tailcap, which is not easily available in some other surefire lego setups.
    5. You get a strobe option! A great option that is even less easily available in the surefire lego setups with Malkoff drop-ins.
    6. You get continued availability of the M60! This is now not normally offered by Malkoff devices, as they have moved on to the M61 line. Yet may of us liked its optic much better (as always, for certain uses) than the reflectored M61. So this is great to ensure continued availability.
    7. The "tolerances" of this light are tighter than with the Surefire legos, which often need some tweaking to work--maybe copper rings, copper tape, other tinkering here and there. The extra "gasket" type water protection (inside the light) also helps protect this against water incursions. You can achieve something similar with surefire legos, but maybe not as easily (since it is not in the design, as such) or reliably.

    Basically, why criticize a light by saying it doesn't do something outside of its main intended use as well as other lights that are designed for these other uses? Even to use it outside of its main intended use as a weapon light, the Elzetta is pretty useful, as a 2x123 primary (or 2xRCR123) light that is pretty impervious to water and to other malfunctions, with the option of hi-low or hi-strobe which is most often unavailable in similar surefire lego contraptions. No one stops anyone from having also more than one light for different situations!
    +1

    And oh, by the way, the comment about primaries in the Elzetta / Malkoff combo is spot on. Scout24 got 53 hours of constant run time on low out of the included Battery Station primaries - I got 2 hours 10 minutes on high, then another useful 28 hours on low out of mine. I've favored rechargeables (and still will with some lights), but with 10 years shelf life and this kind of run time, my Elzetta mounted on my AR (i.e., SHTF light) will always have primaries in it - and I'll be confident that I'll have useful light for quite a long time after any of my RCRs beyond the time I'd safely get from my RCRs.

    Great post, Flashy Bazook!

  5. #95
    *Flashaholic* kaichu dento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    大和/Alyeska
    Posts
    5,039

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by hahoo
    very ugly light.... sorry......
    Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Not nearly as ugly as this, only your second post since joining. If you've nothing constructive to add then go find a thread that actually holds interest to you, and refrain from trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    hahoo, both of your trolling posts have been deleted, and you now down to 0 posts. Any further posting by you will be monitored closely.

    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by yifu View Post
    They are 1. Ugly compared to Surefire lights.
    Can we get on subject and quit with the subjective troll inducing suggestion that the lights are ugly, particularly when many of us feel otherwise?

    Unless anyone really thinks that the industry's best kept secret is the ugliness of Elzetta's lights then it's not pertinent to this thread and it would be much more enjoyable to read about the lights tangible qualities rather than ugly comments on their appearance.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

  6. #96
    Flashaholic* RI Chevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ocean State
    Posts
    2,099

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    The thing that I first noticed about these lights was I thought they were very attractive, cool looking lights. The second thing was that they are bomb proof and well engineered! They are very versatile lights that will last a lifetime. In all types of usage.

  7. #97
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,307

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    On the Youtube video, Elzetta says that between all the different parts, there are 72 different Elzetta Lego possibilities!!
    -PSM

  8. #98

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Im VERY tempted to pick this light up... Looks like you can get a M60F (20 Degree flood) direct from Elzetta. Unfortuately, I am one of these poor lost souls that doesnt have any Malkoff drop in's and most of the people I work with are still stuck in the Surefire mode (NO mods). And thats where my dilemma starts...I have a O-Light on my rifle right now. Im looking for something with a little more flood. Originally, I was planning to buy a built 6P from Oveready but seeing these reviews got me thinking of picking one up. This light will probably stay on my rifle - which is DEFINITELY not a safe queen. Ive been in Capt. Nemo's position more than once. Ok - the light is tough as HELL. I get it! I got the point after the first shotgun blast....Dont need any more vids/pics of that but I would like to see...

    Some pics of the light down a cluttered hallway..Light shining along side of a brick house into a yard..emptying out into a back yard with a shed..can anyone help out?

  9. #99
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,307

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Neo, you can buy the Elzetta parts A la carte, they take any Malkoff P60 Drop in. So if you want a M61, just buy that and a lens kit. I think Elzetta sells them too.

    As far as beamshots, there are tons, just search for Malkoff Beamshots!
    -PSM

  10. #100
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Aren't the Malkoff drop-ins older LED technology? What about XML or high CRI?
    Wish: 1) Super low beacon; easy find flashlight. 2) Low voltage indicator, so not stranded without light. 3) Simple, one handed control ring mode changer (magnetic control ring). 4) Flood beam for walking/tasks. 5) Pocket carry. 6) LiFePO4.


  11. #101
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,307

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    Aren't the Malkoff drop-ins older LED technology? What about XML or high CRI?
    M91(W)>>>XML>>>> Check!
    M61HCRI>>HCRI>>>> Check!
    -PSM

  12. #102
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    But they require 3 cells, while others require just one cell.
    Wish: 1) Super low beacon; easy find flashlight. 2) Low voltage indicator, so not stranded without light. 3) Simple, one handed control ring mode changer (magnetic control ring). 4) Flood beam for walking/tasks. 5) Pocket carry. 6) LiFePO4.


  13. #103
    Flashaholic* yifu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    713

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    But they require 3 cells, while others require just one cell.
    You can use 2 li-on cells for max output or 1 li-on cell for reduced output! The M60/61 is designed for 2 CR123s as well, not 1 cell...

  14. #104
    Flashaholic Erzengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Germany, Bonn
    Posts
    296

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    Aren't the Malkoff drop-ins older LED technology? What about XML or high CRI?
    the XP-G is no old technology. For lights with less than 300 Lumens, it offers more throw than an XM-L at the same efficiency.
    For a light with more than 300 Lumens You need three cells, otherwise You don't have enough runtime for a tough nightshift.

  15. #105
    Flashaholic diesel79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Ive got an XML and a couple with XPG LED's and all of them are equaly as great as the next.

  16. #106

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Neo, you can buy the Elzetta parts A la carte, they take any Malkoff P60 Drop in. So if you want a M61, just buy that and a lens kit. I think Elzetta sells them too.

    As far as beamshots, there are tons, just search for Malkoff Beamshots!
    After reading your reply and then reading my post..I dont know what i was thinking! For some reason, I though the bezel may have affected the beam pattern.. Ive always been thinking about picking up a host and dropping a Malkoff in one. Just never have (I know...I know..) Lemme check out the M60L beam pattern..Hmmm...

  17. #107
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by yifu View Post
    You can use 2 li-on cells for max output or 1 li-on cell for reduced output! The M60/61 is designed for 2 CR123s as well, not 1 cell...
    This is what is turning me off...correct me if I'm wrong...

    "It was designed specifically for use in...Elzetta ZFL Series (3 cell)..."
    "The input voltage is 6.5 - 12 volts. Below 6.5 volts it will flash repeatedly or turn off. "

    To get above 6.5v I will not use multiple lithium-ion batteries (2xRCR123A) in series for safety reasons. 2xCR123A is 6v, below the required 6.5v. 3xCR123A is too big of a light.

    Jake

  18. #108
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,453

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    This is what is turning me off...correct me if I'm wrong...

    "It was designed specifically for use in...Elzetta ZFL Series (3 cell)..."
    "The input voltage is 6.5 - 12 volts. Below 6.5 volts it will flash repeatedly or turn off. "

    To get above 6.5v I will not use multiple lithium-ion batteries (2xRCR123A) in series for safety reasons. 2xCR123A is 6v, below the required 6.5v. 3xCR123A is too big of a light.

    Jake
    Unfortunately, you then can't use the M91 module, because you won't reach the 6.5v minimum voltage with two primary CR123 batteries.

  19. #109
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,855

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    This is what is turning me off...correct me if I'm wrong...

    "It was designed specifically for use in...Elzetta ZFL Series (3 cell)..."
    "The input voltage is 6.5 - 12 volts. Below 6.5 volts it will flash repeatedly or turn off. "

    To get above 6.5v I will not use multiple lithium-ion batteries (2xRCR123A) in series for safety reasons. 2xCR123A is 6v, below the required 6.5v. 3xCR123A is too big of a light.

    Jake
    *shrug* If you want a genuinely 100% SF P60 compatible light that isn't made in China, check out what TnC offers. They're just as strong as Elzettas and they work with any P60 drop-in you want. Here's a picture of what I assembled using TnC and McGizmo parts:



    Admittedly, it cost about $600 to assemble that host, so it's not exactly the most economical solution, but at least it will never ever become obsolete.

    - - -

    Or, the simpler solution: buy some IMR123 batteries from the 'Hound. They can output higher wattage than RCR123s and they don't have any special danger of exploding.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 02-28-2012 at 12:16 PM.

  20. #110
    Flashaholic* AardvarkSagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lower Left side of the Mitten
    Posts
    1,455

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    I'd have to give props to this opinion as well. I continue to be surprised at how little press the Elzetta lights get. People keep emailing me asking for recommendations on a good quality flashlight for emergency use, and I keep finding myself directing them at Elzetta. It might not be the best EDC, or even my favorite duty-carry light, but if I had to be stuck with just one light for a potentially intense situation, the Elzetta is definitely the one I'd grab. And I've got a decent selection to choose from too!

    Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam e tenebris ad lucem!
    LaymansLights.com Now on Facebook and Twitter.

  21. #111
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,307

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    *shrug* If you want a genuinely 100% SF P60 compatible light that isn't made in China,
    .
    I may have interpreted your posts wrong, but Elzetta is 100% USA made AFAIK.
    -PSM

  22. #112
    *Flashaholic* kaichu dento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    大和/Alyeska
    Posts
    5,039

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by AardvarkSagus View Post
    I'd have to give props to this opinion as well. I continue to be surprised at how little press the Elzetta lights get. People keep emailing me asking for recommendations on a good quality flashlight for emergency use, and I keep finding myself directing them at Elzetta. It might not be the best EDC, or even my favorite duty-carry light, but if I had to be stuck with just one light for a potentially intense situation, the Elzetta is definitely the one I'd grab. And I've got a decent selection to choose from too!
    This endorsement seals it for me. I don't know if I'll keep it once I get one, but I'm definitely going to get me an Elzetta!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

  23. #113

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Sorry if I've missed it somewhere in this thread, but how do you go about finding a 3 cell Elzetta?
    I assume they won't fit the MD2, MD3, MD4 tubes.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

  24. #114
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,855

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    I may have interpreted your posts wrong, but Elzetta is 100% USA made AFAIK.
    Elzetta is made in the USA, but is not 100% SF compatible. Other hosts are 100% SF compatible, but not made in the USA. TnC hosts are both.

  25. #115
    Flashaholic Slumber Pass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Alamo City
    Posts
    375

    Default

    As long as they're Malkoff (drop-in) compatible, I'm a happy camper!

  26. #116
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Elzetta is made in the USA, but is not 100% SF compatible. Other hosts are 100% SF compatible, but not made in the USA. TnC hosts are both.
    Ahhh, gotcha.
    -PSM

  27. #117
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,453

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Slumber Pass,
    Amen to that, brother!
    I'd rather have a head machined to the precise shape to fit the module, for best thermal performance.
    I gave up on the aluminum foil packing routine a long time ago.
    Last edited by twl; 02-29-2012 at 10:07 AM.

  28. #118
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,453

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    Sorry if I've missed it somewhere in this thread, but how do you go about finding a 3 cell Elzetta?
    I assume they won't fit the MD2, MD3, MD4 tubes.
    The Elzetta website has all the parts available separately, and they are all "Lego-able", so you can change your 2-cell to a 3-cell with just a body change. Or you can just buy the whole light as a 3-cell, in any of the head and tail configurations. Or whatever. All interchangeable parts.
    And the 3-cell models are sometimes seen on Ebay, or at dealers. It's a standard model in their line.
    The Elzetta bodies are not bored for 18650 or any 18mm cells. They are designed for primary CR123, but I have heard people say that they will take a pair of 17500 in a 3-cell body, but I've never tried it personally.

    They won't fit the Malkoff MD2,3,4 bodies.

  29. #119
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,855

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Question: Does anyone know whether the two-mode switch inside the Elzetta tailcap can be removed and fitted into a Surefire tailcap? I have no use for an Elzetta, but if their switch module can be fitted into a Surefire tailcap, I might just have use for the switch and a Malkoff drop-in.

  30. #120
    Flashaholic* MSaxatilus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,639

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Can all Malkoff drop-ins work with these lights or just the ones listed on their website?

    I'm thinking specifically a Malkoff Triple?

    MSax
    I wish I could afford a BarnBurner!

    Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water..... Our shark.

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •