Rule Number One On Loaning Your Led Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragweed

Enlightened
I see a lot of posts about people loaning out their precious lights. Just say NO & your lights will always be safe..!

Acid87

Enlightened
ragweed said:
I see a lot of posts about people loaning out their precious lights. Just say NO & your lights will always be safe..!

Have to agree. On the other hand you can keep a cheapo coin cell light and be really generous.

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
I learned the hard way people don't put as much value on things as I do. I have had people as of lately think I am a a$$ for not letting them use my lights. I did just pick up a few minimags just for this purpose.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess i can understand saying "no" if it's one of your precious lights.
That's why it's good to keep a loaner or two around for when a friend or family member needs one.

After all we are the ones in their eyes that are flaslight fanatics and what good would that be if we cannot share with them in their time of need.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
I learned a LONG time ago that unless people share the same passion for my hobbies (lights, knives, firearms), I will NEVER lend anyone anything of value - unless I am there to directly supervise.

It got old very fast, to see people using the knife I just lent them as a screwdriver, or to drop the slide on my custom 1911 pistols on an empty chamber over and over again (think slamming a Ferrari door shut just as hard as you can, rather than gently closing it...) or to drop my flashlight on the floor or counter when the are done with it ("it's JUST a flashlight, relax...").

Last edited:

T45

Enlightened
Best Loaner Light: MagLite 2D or Mini-Mag, especially if bought on sale. They are easy to operate, sturdy, metal, and most people are all ready familiar with brand. I upgrade mine with a TerraLUX LED upgrade.

davyro

Enlightened
I couldn't believe i've come across this thread today,just this afternoon my neighbour knocked on my door & asked for a loan of
my great little light so he could see what he was doing in his loft.My great little light that he'd seen me use was my HDS rotary,
i promptly told him no chance & gave him my cheapest Led Lenser T7.As sure as eggs are eggs it came back with its batteries
flattened.He asked me why i wouldn't let him have "that great little light" & i told him you wouldn't understand but don't feel any
different to anyone else because no one would ever get a loan of that peticular light or most of my other ones either.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't believe i've come across this thread today,just this afternoon my neighbour knocked on my door & asked for a loan of
my great little light so he could see what he was doing in his loft.My great little light that he'd seen me use was my HDS rotary,
i promptly told him no chance & gave him my cheapest Led Lenser T7.As sure as eggs are eggs it came back with its batteries
flattened.He asked me why i wouldn't let him have "that great little light" & i told him you wouldn't understand but don't feel any
different to anyone else because no one would ever get a loan of that peticular light or most of my other ones either.

I always tell them the price of the light and tell them if they damage/lose it, they pay for a new one.
After that they normally tell me to forget about lending them the light :clap:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Can I borrow your light?"
"How about a 'no' and I will hold and shine my $400 flashlight for you?"

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long time ago i used to have neighbors from Japan
I borrowed some tools and they came with me and supervised me until i finished fixing my car
I learned then dont loan valuables to anybody unless you are present

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prior to getting into this obsession, I kept two D Cell Mag Led lights at the entry to the Ealge. However I now keep one at the entry, for the purpose if a loaner.

But aside from that, if a "close" friend needs a light for immediate use. I'll hand them what ever light I have on me without giving it a second thought!

Last edited:

savumaki

Enlightened
I learned a LONG time ago that unless people share the same passion for my hobbies (lights, knives, firearms), I will NEVER lend anyone anything of value - unless I am there to directly supervise.

It got old very fast, to see people using the knife I just lent them as a screwdriver, or to drop the slide on my custom 1911 pistols on an empty chamber over and over again (think slamming a Ferrari door shut just as hard as you can, rather than gently closing it...) or to drop my flashlight on the floor or counter when the are done with it ("it's JUST a flashlight, relax...").

I have always gone by the adage of NEVER lending two things 'my wife or my guns. My wife is gone now but I still never lend guns, and flashlights seemed to have joined the category; I usually suggest they buy it and on hearing the price a strange look and silence prevail. I do have lesser subs they could use but they always want the one I use.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess my friends are more responsible than average. I've loan out several lights up to middle value ($60-100) and never had an issue.

cummins4x4

Enlightened

X2, someone who appreciates a fine pice of gear no problem but they usually have their own stuff. I have a few Ultrafires that will get loaned. Been burnt as well so unless I KNOW you will treat a firearm, light, power tool or any expensive piece of kit properly FORGET it.

Rokron

Newly Enlightened
I'm an excavator operator and before I started digging we were checking the depth of the sanitary sewer by looking into the manholes. Well the formans flashlight crapped out on the last hole and it was a deep one. So I pulled out my good ole 3AAA Dorcey with a Luxeon 1 that I got years ago at a local hardware store, for him to use. Yup, he butterfingered it and 10' to the bottem of that sewer it went and that's where it stayed.:oops: The next day he had a brand new Dorcey 3AAA K2 for me that he got at the same hardware store. A darn nice upgrade.
So with all the good flashlights that I have now, I'll do the shinnin' from now on and if it should involve any sewers I'll have some kind of lanyard on it thats for sure.

Average Joe

Newly Enlightened
I learned the hard way people don't put as much value on things as I do. I have had people as of lately think I am a a$$ for not letting them use my lights. I did just pick up a few minimags just for this purpose.

Yup. That's the reason I keep a couple of cheapo lights around. Just in case... :whistle:

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened
yeah I have learned from experiance you really don't loan stuff you really care about. I used to have a nice ATV that I let friends ride and it would almost always come back worse for wear. My brother has a ~$20,000 prerunner truck he let a friend drive once and he rolled it in camp right in front of my brother. If its something that you can break/crash you DONT loan it. OTOH if its a $40.00 light its not that big a deal.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I have had people as of lately think I am a a$$ for not letting them use my lights.

At my advanced age ( 58 years old ),

I no longer give a $hit WHAT people think of me.

:whistle:

If it makes ya' feel better, then carry a fauxton in yer' pocket, for the Leeches.

BTW, just for kicks . . . .

When you hand that fauxton to somebody, tell 'em: " Make SURE i get it BACK ! "

And then, keep track of " Wins and Losses ". :devil:

_

tolkaze

Enlightened
Rules for borrowing my lights:

1.) you get one chance, if you lose it, break it, damage it... then never again
2.) you only get to borrow my EDC, or a loaner light, Only certain people can borrow the good ones
3.) if you do borrow my good lights, i need to know you can replace it.
4.) pretty much any rule can be broken if you are my wife, or if it is an emergency.

I don't mind loaning lights to my workmates, since most of them respect equipment, and they all earn 6 figures+ so price of a new light shouldn't hurt them too much

Status
Not open for further replies.