Which "C" Maglite is the Best Weighted for Night Hikes?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking to use one Maglite as an incan hiking light, but the question is general in nature. Between the three, four, five, and six, which of these will feel best weighted in the hand? I will be using two 26650 LiFePO4 cells.

I am guessing the 3C will feel stubby, while the 6C is way too long/heavy, making it a choice between four and five C sizes. But I don't own either of those.

What do you guys think? For night hikes, would you choose the three, four, five, or six cell "C" Mags?

By "best weighted," I mean the middle of the light fits comfortably in your grip, and the center of gravity makes it balance without feeling heavier on one side or another, front to back.

Thank you!

LEDAdd1ct

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
3C is about the right size to rest on your shoulders. I wouldn't go with anything larger, it's just too bulky. For best balance, it would probably be the 2C.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
Interesting question... seems to me that no matter which one you have you just put your hand at the balance point/center of gravity and all is good. It just maters how much weight and sheer size you want to carry around.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I like the 3C for gripping and swinging (think gentlemen cane). Button access is nearly continuous.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal favorite is the 2C. I have 3 modded examples, one has been cut down for a single 26650.

For balance, much depends on how it feels with the batteries, as different chemistry affects weight substantially.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't use Mag 2C with 2x26650. The choices are 3C, 4C, 5C, or 6C. :)

So right now, it seems the current vote is for 3C.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3C size is just perfect for me (except it's not very bright). I have longer/heavier/brighter lights, but the 3C is a good size. I modded a 3C with the help of a FM tailcap and bulb holder. Very bright and easy to carry. It uses 25500 batteries. I like the side switch too.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
M*g 5C and 6C are out of production and hard to find.

BTW, boring a 5 or 6C tube will cost too high.

I already own a 6C (for $25), and if I were to own a 5C, it would not be for more than $25 as well. Patience is key. :)

BTW, boring a 5 or 6C tube will cost too high.

None of my "C" sized lights have a "C" in the serial number; it is the only way I'll buy them. All of my lights accept a 26650 cell, and the length that seems to be garnering the most favorable replies, the 3C, is one I have in my favorite vintage. My 3C Maglite manufactured January 1984 allows the 26650 to move like it was teflon coated, instead of merely sliding lazily.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3C size is just perfect for me (except it's not very bright). I have longer/heavier/brighter lights, but the 3C is a good size.

I agree. It is the smallest length that will work in my application.

I modded a 3C with the help of a FM tailcap and bulb holder. Very bright and easy to carry. It uses 25500 batteries. I like the side switch too.

I love the side switch! Mags make great platforms—it's the brightness and runtime that is just ehh....and yes, I will be stopping by our good friend fivemega once I sell a few more things to purchase the remainder of the hardware. Don't need a different tailcap, but will need a short spacer.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Latest posts