Need Help Choosing: Fenix TK 41 vs Crelant 7G5

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
Hello there, everyone. I'm such an indecisive person! Just a couple of days ago, I had my heart set on purchasing a Dereelight DBS Aspheric. After a bit more research, I changed my mind! Now I've narrowed down my options to two lights:
1. Crelant 7G5.
2. Fenix TK41.
Now, the Crelant is about 50 dollars cheaper than the Fenix; however, it utilizes two 18650 lithium ion batteries, which is not the safest combination. If I purchase this light, I will need to buy a pack of two Trustfire 2400 mAh batteries, as well as a cheap multimeter to test voltage to ensure safety. This would add another 25 dollars to the cost of the light, bringing the total price to around 103 dollars shipped. My original idea was to spend 100 dollars on a light for myself for Christmas, but, heck, if I'm going to go and spend a huge amount of money on a light, I might as well chip in an extra 30 dollars or so to get something really good.
That's where the Fenix TK41 comes in. The TK41 is 130 dollars with 8 Sanyo Eneloops, shipped. That's a pretty darn good price, if you ask me, although I would still have to buy a AA charger. Luckily, NiMH batteries are monumentally less risky to use than LiCo batteries. That's what interests me the most about this light.
So, folks, can you help me decide on a light? I think I'll go with whichever light gets 5 votes first. Out of these two, which do you think is a better performer for the money, and which do you think is a better choice for someone who is inexperienced in the world of multi-cell lights?

Thanks so much in advance!

brandocommando

Enlightened
Get the Fenix... It is a BEAST of a light, very bright, great throw, and very easy to use. I love mine!

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Definitely the Fenix.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Norm! Is there any particular reason why you would suggest the Fenix over the Crelant?
From what I've heard, they are both built very well; however, the Crelant seems to nudge out the Fenix in terms of throw (59kcd vs 55kcd).
They're both very good-looking lights and I just need to know what makes one better than the other. :)

Norm

Retired Administrator
Well known brand, safer battery choice for an inexperienced user, back up service available, overall you'll find the build quality is higher.
Norm

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
Alright, thanks, guys! It seems like the Fenix is the clear choice here. I'll order it today and hope it gets here before Christmas so I can have some fun with it! :)

Last edited:

Jthe5th

Newly Enlightened
overall you'll find the build quality is higher.
Norm

How did you find the quality to be higher? Have you used the Crelant 7G5?
The built quality is top notch, it's built in the Tiablo factories.

The Crelant 7G5 can used be used with 3xCr123A or 4xCr123A ( without or with the extension tube), so it's not limited to 2x18650 batteries. In fact it can take 2 x 18500 also.

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
How did you find the quality to be higher? Have you used the Crelant 7G5?
The built quality is top notch, it's built in the Tiablo factories.

The Crelant 7G5 can used be used with 3xCr123A or 4xCr123A ( without or with the extension tube), so it's not limited to 2x18650 batteries. In fact it can take 2 x 18500 also.

Do you own the Crelant personally? If so, overall, do you like it? Is it as good of a thrower as people make it out to be?
Cr123A batteries are fairly expensive, considering they're primaries and thus non-rechargeable. I'd be using 2 18650s if I bought the light. I could add a little more money to get protected AW batteries, or even safe chemistry (LiMN) batteries if that would negate the potential safety hazards.

Chidwack

Enlightened
Although I don't have a Crelant 7G5, I do have a Olight M3X which is similar in throw, shape and function as it uses two 18650 batteries and it's about the same size as the Crelant. I suspect both the Crelant and the Olight M3X will cover the same bases as each other.
I also have a Fenix TK41.

I love the Olight M3X. I like the way it feels and I love the beautiful throw beam. I bought both the Olight M3X and the Fenix TK41 at the same time and if I had to choose and could keep only one light, I would keep the Fenix TK41.

It throws just about as good as the M3X. It uses AA NiMh batteries. It has 4 very useful modes plus probably the most effective strobe I have on any of my lights. I am shocked at the throw of the low mode with it's 10 lumens. It is a wonderful light for emergencies or for when the power goes off as it is perfect for tail standing and using as a room lamp. On turbo mode it lights up the whole room and even on the high mode it does quite well at lighting up the room.

Due to the 8 battery holder the light doesn't feel as solid as other lights simply because you can feel the batteries/battery holder moving inside the flashlight but I'm sure it's not a problem.
I have found the battery run time to be less than advertised. I only get about 1 hour and 25 minutes on turbo mode when using eneloop 2000 batteries before it drops to the high mode.
I get about about 1 hour and 50 minutes in turbo mode when using Duracell 2450mAh batteries. I am waiting for some Powerex 2700mAh batteries to arive so I can test them in this light.

I have bought quite a collection of lights in the past 4 months. I have an Olight M20s and Olight M3X. Xeno EO3. Quark AA2 tactical. Zebralight H51. Klarus P2A. Shingingbeam Blaze and S-mini. iTP C7 and H01 headlamp. 3 iTP A3 EOS. A Monsterflashlight. Jetbeam BC40. Jetbeam BA20. Fenix TK41.

If I had to give all them up except one, I would keep the Fenix TK41. It covers more bases than any of my other lights while still satisfying my thirst for throw.

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
Although I don't have a Crelant 7G5, I do have a Olight M3X which is similar in throw, shape and function as it uses two 18650 batteries and it's about the same size as the Crelant. I suspect both the Crelant and the Olight M3X will cover the same bases as each other.
I also have a Fenix TK41.

I love the Olight M3X. I like the way it feels and I love the beautiful throw beam. I bought both the Olight M3X and the Fenix TK41 at the same time and if I had to choose and could keep only one light, I would keep the Fenix TK41.

It throws just about as good as the M3X. It uses AA NiMh batteries. It has 4 very useful modes plus probably the most effective strobe I have on any of my lights. I am shocked at the throw of the low mode with it's 10 lumens. It is a wonderful light for emergencies or for when the power goes off as it is perfect for tail standing and using as a room lamp. On turbo mode it lights up the whole room and even on the high mode it does quite well at lighting up the room.

Due to the 8 battery holder the light doesn't feel as solid as other lights simply because you can feel the batteries/battery holder moving inside the flashlight but I'm sure it's not a problem.
I have found the battery run time to be less than advertised. I only get about 1 hour and 25 minutes on turbo mode when using eneloop 2000 batteries before it drops to the high mode.
I get about about 1 hour and 50 minutes in turbo mode when using Duracell 2450mAh batteries. I am waiting for some Powerex 2700mAh batteries to arive so I can test them in this light.

I have bought quite a collection of lights in the past 4 months. I have an Olight M20s and Olight M3X. Xeno EO3. Quark AA2 tactical. Zebralight H51. Klarus P2A. Shingingbeam Blaze and S-mini. iTP C7 and H01 headlamp. 3 iTP A3 EOS. A Monsterflashlight. Jetbeam BC40. Jetbeam BA20. Fenix TK41.

If I had to give all them up except one, I would keep the Fenix TK41. It covers more bases than any of my other lights while still satisfying my thirst for throw.

Thanks for the insight, Chidwack. It sounds like the Fenix TK41 is one great light. However...that movement of the battery carrier in the light might drive me nuts! How noticeable is it?
Have any of you purchased lights from hkequipment.com? That's where I would get the light because they are offering free shipping and 8 Sanyo Eneloops for FREE! That's great. I would still need a charger, but that doesn't bother me.

Last edited by a moderator:

davecroft

Enlightened
I've bought a couple of times from hkequipment no problems at all. I recollect he has one of the highest feedback scores on ebay. Just factor in the potential cost of having to return the light to Hong Kong if need be.

brandocommando

Enlightened
Just wrap the battery carrier in a small sheet of paper. That's what I do... It takes 10 seconds and makes it totally solid.

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, guys -- this is a bit of an off-topic question. Well, not really, but I'm just a bit paranoid
Are there any lights coming out soon that will surpass the Fenix TK41 in terms of output and quality for the money?
I don't want to drop 130 dollars on a light that will become obsolete in a few months!
Thanks for putting up with me, guys. :p

Good suggestion, Brando. If I get this light (which I very likely will!), I will do that. I hear electrical tape works as well?

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened
Thanks Brandocommando. That's a good Idea. I just took a little 3x5 index card and wrapped it around the battery carrier. I have to really shake it hard to feel any movement inside.

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have lux figures for the Fenix TK41? I'm hoping they aren't severely overrated. I need this light to throw several hundred meters, but I've noticed that in Selfbuilt's review of the Fenix TK35, lux figures were about 8000 lower than the ANSI numbers.

Last edited:

Samy

Enlightened
Just wrap the battery carrier in a small sheet of paper. That's what I do... It takes 10 seconds and makes it totally solid.

I do the same with my TK41. I learnt this trick years and years ago with my mag lights that rattled.

Cheers

yowzer

Enlightened
My Crelant (A 7G2-N) has a high quality of build, and is a very nice (If underappreciated here) light. If the big brother is along the same lines, it'll give the Fenix a run for its money, quality-wise.

Last edited:

Enlightened
My Crelant (A 7G2-N) has a high quality of build, and is a very nice (If underappreciated here) light. If the big brother is along the same lines, it'll give the Fenix a run for its money, quality-wise.

It gets better, instead of 6061-T6 (7G2-N), the 7G5 uses 7075-T6. The 7G5 is a good 72g heavier. I also have another TK series "big tube" light, and no way the Fenix is more solid than the Crelant. It's the other way round. The HA on the Crelant holds out to scratches very well too..... my TK70 is already scratched in quite a lot of places. I also prefer the HA on the Crelant than the Fenix too.

The 7G5 visually casts a very slightly brighter spot than my Sunwayman T40CS at a 400m target. Measurements also show that.

But i guess if the OP is new in this, then he should go for the TK-41.

However everybody has to start out, and once iLoveLights progresses in this hobby, multi-cell lights and DMM and a good charger are all must haves.

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
It gets better, instead of 6061-T6 (7G2-N), the 7G5 uses 7075-T6. The 7G5 is a good 72g heavier. I also have another TK series "big tube" light, and no way the Fenix is more solid than the Crelant. It's the other way round. The HA on the Crelant holds out to scratches very well too..... my TK70 is already scratched in quite a lot of places. I also prefer the HA on the Crelant than the Fenix too.

The 7G5 visually casts a very slightly brighter spot than my Sunwayman T40CS at a 400m target. Measurements also show that.

But i guess if the OP is new in this, then he should go for the TK-41.

However everybody has to start out, and once iLoveLights progresses in this hobby, multi-cell lights and DMM and a good charger are all must haves.

Thanks for the help again, 2100. You've always been very kind and helpful with me so far, so I think I'll take your advice and go for the TK41 for now. At the moment, I just don't want to have to be worrying about checking voltage every time I charge my batteries. The first multi li-ion cell light I buy will definitely be the Crelant, though. I mean, the new one that replaces this model, because apparently this model did so well that they are replacing it with a new, more expensive one!