SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help Choosing: Fenix TK 41 vs Crelant 7G5

Default Re: Need Help Choosing: Fenix TK 41 vs Crelant 7G5

Do you guys have any suggestions for a relatively cheap AA charger? My budget is 30 dollars shipped to Canada...I would have more money to spend on the charger but I'm already over-budget with the Fenix alone. :P Are those Duracell chargers that are available at Costco and come with 4 rechargeable AA batteries sufficient? Or should I be looking for something else?
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/8800.html
    I'm interested in this one.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveLight View Post
    Do you guys have any suggestions for a relatively cheap AA charger? My budget is 30 dollars shipped to Canada...I would have more money to spend on the charger but I'm already over-budget with the Fenix alone. :P Are those Duracell chargers that are available at Costco and come with 4 rechargeable AA batteries sufficient? Or should I be looking for something else?
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/8800.html
    I'm interested in this one.
    I have that charger and IMO it performs very well. It usually charges my completely depleted eneloops in about 3-4 hours. I also just purchased the 16 bay Titanium MD-1600L yesterday during their sale so I can now charge three sets of batteries.
    Need...... more...... lights!

Quote Originally Posted by my#1hobby View Post
    I have that charger and IMO it performs very well. It usually charges my completely depleted eneloops in about 3-4 hours. I also just purchased the 16 bay Titanium MD-1600L yesterday during their sale so I can now charge three sets of batteries.
    It looks to be a fantastic charger. However, I've just realized that they are charging fifteen dollars to have it shipped to Canada. That's more than half the cost of the charger, which, frankly, doesn't seem logical to me. If there are no other suggestions, I may just have to go ahead and purchase that one. I'm sure I'd be satisfied with it, but my wallet would not, especially after the TK41 purchase.

Flashaholic

Congratulations on picking the Fenix TK41, you will not be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by NightKids View Post
    Congratulations on picking the Fenix TK41, you will not be disappointed!
    Thanks! I can't wait to get it! Actually, I'd prefer if it arrived just a few days before Christmas; otherwise, I'd have a hard time keeping my hands off of it until the 25th!

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveLight View Post
    however, it utilizes two 18650 lithium ion batteries, which is not the safest combination. If I purchase this light, I will need to buy a pack of two Trustfire 2400 mAh batteries, as well as a cheap multimeter to test voltage to ensure safety.
    I think the potential risk is a bit exaggerated. With good protected cells and intelligent charger it's pretty safe (no DMM). Actually 8AAs in one light can be much more problematic. Why? Because any disbalance between the cells (eg with internal resistance) may cause one to discharge quicker than the others. Discharge to 0 or even reverse polarity. That would kill this battery completely and it happened for many people.

PS. 7G5 has heavily driven, higher binned (U2 vs. T6) emitter with wider and deeper reflector - I think it's even better than TK41 and M3X.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom23 View Post
    I think the potential risk is a bit exaggerated. With good protected cells and intelligent charger it's pretty safe (no DMM). Actually 8AAs in one light can be much more problematic. Why? Because any disbalance between the cells (eg with internal resistance) may cause one to discharge quicker than the others. Discharge to 0 or even reverse polarity. That would kill this battery completely and it happened for many people.

PS. 7G5 has heavily driven, higher binned (U2 vs. T6) emitter with wider and deeper reflector - I think it's even better than TK41 and M3X.
    You're probably right about that whole risk conundrum. Nevertheless, I feel safer using AAs than I do using LiCo cells. I was contemplating the purchase of some LiMn cells which likely would have reduced the risk of explosion even more, but decided against it after discovering that their capacity is significantly lower, and there is a good chance of them being overcharged.
    I agree with you on the final point - the Crelant 7G5 isdefinitely the more powerful between the two lights. I'm sure the Fenix will, as everyone mentioned, still pleasantly surprise me. I like the idea of having a variety of modes to choose from, and the UI on the Fenix seems to be superior to the UI on the Crelant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthe5th View Post
    Yes, I have the 7G5. It's an excellent thrower, it can be called the hidden gem.
    Where did you buy this? I cant seem to see this anywhere online.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12