NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Review of ThruNite TN11 with measurements and outdoor beamshots

Default Review of ThruNite TN11 with measurements and outdoor beamshots

ThruNite TN11

ThruNite started a few years ago with a small light, then they added a very good thrower (Catapult) and has lately added lots of other lights to their range. The light I am looking at here is a light in 18650 size. The light has 2 settings where one is programmable, to change between them the head must be either tight or loose. On/off is done with a forward tail switch. The light is made of aluminum with hard-anodized (Type 3) finish. This light is very close to the TN10, but has a larger reflector and is delivered with extenders.

The light is delivered in a cardboard box with a window and some FL1 specification on the outside

The box contains the light, 3 extra o-rings, lanyard, split ring, holster, a clips, two extenders and a instruction sheet.

The light uses a smooth reflector with a XM-L led in the center. The bezel is in stainless steel.

The head has some groves on it, the edge on the groves is a bit sharp, these does improve the grip. There is also the typical heat sink of high power led lights.

The backside of the head shows the connection to the battery, this connection is a spring. Around the periphery is a metal ring that is used for mode changes.

The user interface has two brightness settings, one fixed with head tight and one programmable with head loose.

Doing two tight/loose sequences of the head quickly in sequence will activate the programming. The light will repeatedly show the above sequence and a tight/loose sequence will lock the mode/brightness at that point as the programmed setting.
    I had some problems with this interface, a cleaning of the threads and contact ring helped.

The battery tube has square cut threads and o-rings to seal the light. The tail thread is anodized, making it possible to lock out the light.

The body has the same type of groves as the head.

Inside the battery tube was a extra plastic tube, making it possible to use CR123 batteries with very little rattle. The holster is only for two batteries, but the recommended configuration is 3 CR123 batteries.

The light has a removable tactical ring, this ring can also be used for the lanyard. When removed there is nothing to protect the threads. This ring also works as an anti roll device.

The body with the clip mounted. There is no lock for the clip, but the tactical ring does help to hold it.

In the tailcap is a covered spring. The switch is mounted lower than the two ridges, making it possible for the light to tail stand.
    With a split ring mounted in one of the holes, it is possible to use it for the lanyard.

A holster is supplied with the light. It works for both the short and longer configurations of the light. When the tactical ring is mounted the light sits high in the holster.

Here is all the part the light can be disassembled in without tools.

This light is the usual size for a 18650 light, performance is in the good end both total output and throw. As long as there is only a need for two settings, the user interface is fine and it is easy to reprogram, but reprogramming is a bit slow to use for just changing brightness. For some uses it is very practical that high can always be selected (Just tighten the head). The two extenders give a great freedom in battery selection, but I would have preferred that it had full performance on a single 18650 batteries.

Technical specification and measurements

The light is rated for use with 1x18650 or 3xCR123 batteries. The light works fine with all 18650 batteries from 65 to 70 mm long.
    With the extenders it can also use 2x18500, 2x18650 or 4xCR123 batteries.

Measured size and weight (Without extender):
    Length: 153.2 mm
    Diameter: 24.3 mm to 41 mm
    Weight: 222.2 gram with AW18650-26.

Measured size and weight (With one extender):
    Length: 187.3 mm
    Weight: 241.3 gram with 3xCR123 and 260.7 gram with 2xAW18500-26.

Measured size and weight (With two extenders):
    Length: 220.8 mm
    Weight: 275.3 gram with 4xCR123 and 304.6 gram with 2xAW18650-26.

The light uses a Cree XM-L led.

In the above table I have collected all modes, measured at 3.7 volt (i.e. with one LiIon battery). All the estimated runtimes are with a 18650 LiIon battery. The estimated lumen is scale from the specified maximum, measured at 7.4 volt.
    Because I have done this table at 3.7 volt, there is no difference between high, adj-high and the high-reduced.

The first voltage sweep is done in high mode, the light has stabilization down to about 4 volt, this means that it reaches full output with a fresh LiIon battery, but will immediately start to drop in output.

The adjustment mode has a maximum of about 85% brightness.

The adjustment mode has a minimum of about 2% brightness.

In the runtime the step down function in high can easily be seen. 18650 cannot maintain a high enough voltage to keep the light in stabilization.

To see how this light handles the heat, I did a run on my test bench with a temperature sensor on the light. As expected the brightness drops slightly when the led gets hot. The body does get hot and stays hot. Because I uses a 7.4 volt supply (i.e. 2xLiIon) the brightness step down can easily be seen at 10 minutes.
    Note: My test does not simulate actual usage conditions, but are done on a test bench with only the head of the light and no cooling airflow, i.e. the light will get hotter than during normal use.

The slow strobe is 4.9 Hz with 48% duty cycle.

The fast strobe is 9.8 Hz with 46% duty cycle.

As can be seen on the scope trace of the modes, there is some noise at the low levels, here I have zoomed in on the noise.

The noise has a frequency above 200 kHz.

The light does not use pwm.

Comparison to other Flashlights

ThruNite Scorpion, ThruNite Scorpion turbo, ThruNite TN10:

ThruNite TN11, ThruNite TN12, ThruNite T30:

For the full comparison to other lights with graphs and beamshots see here

Notes

The light was supplied by ThruNite for review.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Default Re: Review of ThruNite TN11 with measurements and outdoor beamshots

Great review. Thanks

Nice review. Any shot you could take some beam shots with 2x 18650 or 18500? Since it stays in regulation with those setup's I'm curious on the brightness compared to the Scorpion V2 when at 100%. I run mine with 2x18500.

Banned

thanks for the new review!
    will read it now..

Thanks HKJ for this great review.

awesome review as usual!

by the way, it seems this light is pretty darn similar to the ThruNite Scorpion. How do they differentiate themselves?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infinus View Post
    Nice review. Any shot you could take some beam shots with 2x 18650 or 18500? Since it stays in regulation with those setup's I'm curious on the brightness compared to the Scorpion V2 when at 100%. I run mine with 2x18500.
    Next time I am doing beamshots of some 1x18650 or 2x18650 I will try to remember it, but I have noting planned at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    by the way, it seems this light is pretty darn similar to the ThruNite Scorpion. How do they differentiate themselves?
    Mostly by user interface, but also by price. It is considerable cheaper than Scorpion + Turbo head.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/

I see the runtime for 1x18650 TN11's firefly mode is almost double compare to Scorpion's firefly mode. I am curious about this because the official TN11's stated runtime for firefly is 750+hours. Right now I am in dilemma between Scorpion and TN11 since both throw are almost equal. I like the look and UI of Scorpion but TN11 runtime in firefly mode really tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by jamjam View Post
    I see the runtime for 1x18650 TN11's firefly mode is almost double compare to Scorpion's firefly mode. I am curious about this because the official TN11's stated runtime for firefly is 750+hours. Right now I am in dilemma between Scorpion and TN11 since both throw are almost equal. I like the look and UI of Scorpion but TN11 runtime in firefly mode really tempting.
    Not double, more like 50% longer. The Scorpion is considerable brighter in firefly mode, I got the estimated lumen to 0.4.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Not double, more like 50% longer. The Scorpion is considerable brighter in firefly mode, I got the estimated lumen to 0.4.
    Just order myself a Scorpion V2 with T5 emmiter + Turbo head, regarless its shorter runtime in firefly mode, since I am going to get the Zebralight SC600w when its available locally. This way I got myself covered with both floody and throwy single 18650 lights.

I am also interested in the Sunwayman V60C, but still not sure with 3x18650 setup and the waterproofness/durability with its tail charging port. What is your thought about this light?

Quote Originally Posted by jamjam View Post
    Just order myself a Scorpion V2 with T5 emmiter + Turbo head, regarless its shorter runtime in firefly mode, since I am going to get the Zebralight SC600w when its available locally. This way I got myself covered with both floody and throwy single 18650 lights.

I am also interested in the Sunwayman V60C, but still not sure with 3x18650 setup and the waterproofness/durability with its tail charging port. What is your thought about this light?
    It is difficult to say much about a light without having tried it.
    I like the idea of a build in charging port, but if it runs the batteries in series without a balancing circuit, there are some problems with it.
    As long as you uses protected batteries it will not be dangerous, but you might not get the expected runtime from a charge, except if you remove the batteries and charges them in an external charger.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    It is difficult to say much about a light without having tried it.
    I like the idea of a build in charging port, but if it runs the batteries in series without a balancing circuit, there are some problems with it.
    As long as you uses protected batteries it will not be dangerous, but you might not get the expected runtime from a charge, except if you remove the batteries and charges them in an external charger.
    Maybe I should wait till more user experience from cpf members before that. Thanks a bunch

Thanks for the review - love mine TN11

Many thanks for your excellent review as always. HKJ!

Great review, and great light. I am using AW 18500's in mine and love the size of just using one extender. Anyone tried using AW IMR 8500's? I am looking for a safer solution than multiple CR123's and Li-ion 18500's for my light to avoid my paranoia of having the thing explode.
    Emisar D4vn, D4Svn, Thrunite TC20, Cat V6, D40Avn, Jetbeam BC20

Quote Originally Posted by Scenic View Post
    I am looking for a safer solution than multiple CR123's and Li-ion 18500's for my light to avoid my paranoia of having the thing explode.
    With protected 18500 you can keep the paranoia at a low level, the protection will prevent any reverse charge of the batteries.

Great review HKJ! Your outdoor beamshots are very helpful.

I got a TN11 in a trade and agree with you that the light has some rather sharp edges from those grooves around the body/head area, but it's a great thrower. I thought the Thrunite Catapult was a great light, but way too bulky for everyday use. The TN11 is a much more useful form factor.

I found the tension pocket clip rather annoying since it would readily move around the light without much force...so I just got rid of it and put a short lanyard on it.
    My dog ate my flashlight...

I just bought another TN11 because I missed the one I traded you! LOL

Flashaholic*

I have a love hate with my TN11

I have Klarus XT11 I use and also the TN11

I like the throw and lumens of the 3xcr123 TN11, but I like the UI of the Klarus better

so I cannot just use one, nor get rid of one.

A TN11 with the Klarus switch -and- and infinite level would be perfect.
    posted by jh333233
    Dont cheat me, im expert in using crap light

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    I just bought another TN11 because I missed the one I traded you! LOL
    Hahaha...vinh, great job again on the TN11 mod! It's making my other cool white tinted lights look yellow in comparison.
    My dog ate my flashlight...

anyone else notice a slight donut hole in the beam of their TN11 on high? Its only noticeable on mine at far distances, not up close. It seems just slightly brighter around the perimeter of the circle than the inside.
    Emisar D4vn, D4Svn, Thrunite TC20, Cat V6, D40Avn, Jetbeam BC20