POLL: what finish do you like best?

Which surface finish would you buy? (pretend you want an Alpha)

• Total voters

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi folks,

I'm trying to work out my strategy on surface finishes. I like giving people options, but as I'm considering new developments having different surface finishes makes things harder. For example, I'm working on a lego turbohead...but that means (if you/I want them to match) I need to make them all in different finishes. This is both difficult and time consuming. So, I'd like to get a sense for what surface finishes people like best. I may consider offering fewer options depending on your input.

Even if you aren't considering buying an Alpha, I'd like your opinion on what is the most appealing to you. The more votes you cast, the better information I have to make a decision with. Comments are welcome as well.

For reference, here are the options. If you want larger images, click on any of the photos below and this will take you to my website. Thanks!

Blasted & Polished

Stone Washed

Brushed

Last edited:

davec611

Newly Enlightened
I carry and use my Alpha daily. Showing wear the least was my number one priority when deciding on a finish. I really like the contrast of the blasted and polished, but am very glad that I went with the brushed.

S1LVA

Enlightened
Very happy that I went with the brushed as well!

I'd like to continue buying brushed parts (like the shorty) so I can play lego :)

S1LVA

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I would vote for stonewash, although the pics don't have what I've come to think of as a stonewashed finish which is defined by it's countless abrasions blending into a smooth and indestructible finish in that additional marks simply look like the rest of the surface.

Without a doubt, the much more blasted and polished version looks the best, in fact, absolutely killer but I think the brushed finish will be the most durable of the options shown here.

sassaquin

Enlightened
These classy finishes are what initially attracted me to the Alpha and I would be sad to see any one of them eliminated. Someday I will be purchasing one of your beautiful lights and my order of preference would be brushed, stonewash and finally blasted-polish.

Hope holiday sales are good and congratulations on Fortune Magazine gift guide write-up.:)

archer6817j

Enlightened
Okay, so I actually figured out how to add the poll. My previous attempt timed out and it posted...with no poll. Anyway, please vote at the top!

Thanks for the votes so far!

@ kaichu: Did you check out the high res (close up) photos on my site? The nickel plate smooths the finish a "tiny" bit but the coating is only .0003" thick. In the trades we call Stone Wash "vibratory tumbling" but I use Stone Wash because it sounds classy and that seems to be what flashlight people call it ;) Maybe I should take a photo before it's plated. The finish also depends on the type of media used. I use a "heavy cutting" ceramic...but maybe other people go even crazier.

@ sassaquin: thanks! I keep checking the page to make sure it's real :) By the way, if you can find me a p60 sized boost driver (16-17mm) let me know and I'll put it into a light for you :) Probably only going to be 1 amp or less though.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Knowing they're nickel plated makes all the difference and with that knowledge I voted by appearance, going with the blasted&polished version.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
I'm a sucker for anything matte finished, so I voted stonewash. This light will be a user, and polished surfaces and I simply do not play very well together.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calvin and Harlee vote's Blasted & Polished since that's what they ordered for their Pops'! ... And now that I know about the gift, I agree! ... :thumbsup:

Next would be the brushed, then, ... :tired: ... What was the other selection?

Last edited:

archer6817j

Enlightened
Any more voters out there?! You input is genuinely appreciated as I try to figure out what to do with my lineup in the new year :)

Thanks in advance,

Jason