Surefire 6P Z41 tailcap issues

troika

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I haven't really introduced myself here yet. Short version, I've got a few small carry lights and sort of have the bug.

I decided I needed to see what the big deal with Surefire was and picked up a used 6P with an LED module in it. Don't know which one, but I would guess it's somewhere around 120 lumen just based on the output.

The light works, when I twist it on, but usually doesn't when I try to click it. I cleaned the springs a little bit last night and it may have helped, but didn't solve the problem. I've been reading here about similar issues. I suppose it's possible that this drop in is not the right fit, though it looks tight and doesn't rattle. I'm going to work on the threads tonight based on another post that I read.

Is it the tailcap and if so, repair or replace? The drop in? Do I need to do a better job of cleaning?

It's a cool light, I'm glad I have it. Would love to get it working reliably and it may help me feel good about dropping the cash for a newer SF at some point.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Troy

Last edited:

Viper715

Enlightened
Not sure which tailcap you have. Some are twist tailcaps and you can press it for a momentary but it wont "click" on. Then there is the forward clicky tailcap which you press for momentary or you can click it on but there isno twist involved.

If you have the twist tailcap then yes sometimes there are problems after its been used alot. I had an old c2 that would twist on fine but when I would push it sometimes it wouldn't work and it made weird grinding noises and when I would shake it sounded like something was loose. If that's the case it's just old call surefire and they will send you a replacement. Then you can do what I did with my old tailcap convert it to a clicky with a McClicky kit from oveready.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire 6P issues

Most SF 6P's were shipped with twistie tailcaps (Z41's), they have a 'momentary' button that doesn't actually click on. If you could post a pic of the interior of your tailcap, that would help. Otherwise, google some tailcap images to make sure you have the Z41 or some other tailcap.

troika

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, it's the "push-for-instant-on and twist-for-constant-on" type. Twist works, push almost never does. I shouldn't have said "click", it doesn't actually click and I don't think it's supposed to.

It hadn't occured to me that SF might replace it. That would be great! I'll look into that and also search on McClicky. Like the sound of that.

Thanks, very much for your advice. I'll let you know when I get it sorted.

Troy

Not sure which tailcap you have. Some are twist tailcaps and you can press it for a momentary but it wont "click" on. Then there is the forward clicky tailcap which you press for momentary or you can click it on but there isno twist involved.

If you have the twist tailcap then yes sometimes there are problems after its been used alot. I had an old c2 that would twist on fine but when I would push it sometimes it wouldn't work and it made weird grinding noises and when I would shake it sounded like something was loose. If that's the case it's just old call surefire and they will send you a replacement. Then you can do what I did with my old tailcap convert it to a clicky with a McClicky kit from oveready.

troika

Newly Enlightened

Kestral, it looks like the Z41 type. I don't have the light with me, but could photograph it later. It's a WELL USED 6P, not sure how old, but nothing especially contemporary.

LE6920

Newly Enlightened

Kestral, it looks like the Z41 type. I don't have the light with me, but could photograph it later. It's a WELL USED 6P, not sure how old, but nothing especially contemporary.

The spring could be compressed. How old is the light? I would call Surefire and they will replace it.

troika

Newly Enlightened

Don't know. It's old.

I'll definitely call them. Didn't occur to me, but it should have.

Thanks,

Kestrel

Flashaholic

If it shows lots of honest use, please feel free to post pics in the following thread: :)
Show your beat up light.

Edit: BTW I've added some info to your thread title.

Last edited:

troika

Newly Enlightened

Will do!

Hey, I just got off the phone with Surefire...okay I get it now, American Company, great service, stands behind their products no questions asked....yes, indeedy.

I described the problem and my attempts to clean, he directed my cleaning efforts a little differently and I'll try that tonight. He said that he expected that to fully resolve my issue and I believe him.

Then he said "but, let me send you a newer style tailcap anyway" and explained the lockout feature that mine pre-dates. Wow. I forgot that that's how things used to work.

Thanks again for your help. It's sad that it didn't occur to me to call the company directly. It would have 15 years ago. Good on Surefire for hanging tough, I can see why people are loyal to them.

Viper715

Enlightened
There one of the good ones for sure. They've helped me out more than once even when I want to pay for some things they still have sent free replacements. I have a good number of older Surefires.

Reference the McClicky oveready.com sells a kit that can just screw into the Z41 after you remove the guts.

troika

Newly Enlightened
Cleaned it up last night with only a dry paper towel as suggested and it made a huge difference, might even go so far as to say "it's fixed", but test it over a week or so. Should probably invest in some contact cleaner.

It looks old, but it didn't really look dirty, amazing how much difference it made.

dougie

Enlightened
Many people rubbish Surefire for not having the latest or most powerful LED lights. However, I've yet to come across a company who looks after their customers like Surefire does AND especially after years have passed by and you haven't got a copy of the original receipt! Surefire rocks!!

signal 13

Enlightened
Surefire has taken care of me after a few V70 springs went kaput. Sent me brand new replacements after sending in the broken ones. Same thing with a P60L that I broke on duty.

Only time they managed to tick me off was when one of their V85s disintegrated after 4 days on my duty belt. I expected to be able to send it in for repair or replacement. Instead their recommendation was to "buy a new one".

But I'm still a Surefire addict for life.

troika

Newly Enlightened
Haven't got my new tailcap in the mail yet. I have cleaned and then deeper cleaned and it's inconsistent. Starting to even get inconsistent when "twisted on". Again, this is a very old 6P with an LED drop in, so no reflection on Surefire and I'm not complaining, just trying to deal. How I tighten the head on seems to matter too, something less than fully tight seems to be what it needs. I can't really do much more cleaning, but should maybe try the DeoxIT (sp?). I'll see how it behaves with the new tailpiece and I could pickup a new head. There was a newish used one that I just sold for $13 on eBay or I could get one of the aftermarkets.

After that, I've got nothing left to suspect except the drop in unit, which, of course, I could replace. I don't know what the one that's in there is. I've been reading about my alternatives.

Any thoughts?

Viper715

Enlightened
It still sounds like the tailcap to me. Once you get the replacement from SF you'll know for sure. If you do have a problem with the drop in or just want to upgrade I would go with a Malkoff. A M61HCRI is my favorite or a M61LHCRI. If you like tighter beams then a M60. Also on the less expensive side is Nailbenders numerous offerings or a Lumens Factory HCRI from Illumination Supply.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably the tailcap. But... try this: remove the tailcap, take a paperclip and bridge the body with the negative end of the battery. If the light is good, it's the tailcap. If no light, work with the spring on the dropin (or replace it). You will learn to love this light! Surefire has a good reputation for replacing defective parts. If you want a clicky use the search here and find out how to remove the switch guts and insert a McClicky switch. You might need a little heat.

troika

Newly Enlightened
It's probably the tailcap. But... try this: remove the tailcap, take a paperclip and bridge the body with the negative end of the battery. If the light is good, it's the tailcap.

That didn't work. Since I've got a new tailcap coming in the next few days, I'll wait and see if that completely resolves it or not. But, I'm starting to suspect things at the other end.

If no light, work with the spring on the dropin (or replace it).

I don't know what the drop in it is. It doesn't have any writing on it. Came to me with it installed. I played with the spring a bit, but it didn't behave any differently. It could be defective or damaged.

I feel like I've cleaned the light as thoroughly as I can and the only thing that I could still do is some contact solution. DeoxIT, I think is what people use. I theory, I think if the surfaces weren't straight it could create uneven contact and odd behavior, but I think it's a better bet to suspect the aftermarket LED unit at this point (assuming the tailpiece doesn't resolve the issue)

You will learn to love this light! Surefire has a good reputation for replacing defective parts. If you want a clicky use the search here and find out how to remove the switch guts and insert a McClicky switch. You might need a little heat.

I am going to love this light. I have a couple of small carry lights that are very reliable and consistent (so far). It may take me a while to get this one there, but I'm learning a lot in the process and when I've got it dialed in, I'm sure it will be my favorite.

I did look at the McClickies and since I'll have 2 tailpieces, I may do that to one of them, once the light is reliable.

troika

Newly Enlightened
So, update. I haven't received the tailcap from Surefire yet, but though the original is a little worn, I'm doubting that's the problem.

If I screw the head all the way down, the light doesn't work. If I back it out a little then it does. If I get it and the tailcap each in just the right place, the momentary on works too. Certainly not reliable to carry that way, fine for a trip to the woodpile, but that's about it,

So, what I think that leaves is;

1) The contact points on the top end are fouled somehow. They look clean and I cleaned them pretty thoroughly, could try some DeoxIt Gold and likely will at some point, but don't have any and kind of how my doubts on this theory.
2) The LED is whomply. As previously mentioned, it's an aftermarket upgrade, with no label on it that I can see, so I have no idea what it is or how old.

Is there a third suspect? Any opinions on which of these is the most likely? I wish I had another 6P like light to test each of these components in, that would expose the culprit pretty quickly, but alas...

Paladin

Enlightened
If your 6P is the older round body the drop in might be your problem. The old non-click style tailcap is known to be very reliable. I hope your used light with unknown dropin doesn't give you a negative impression about Surefire lights.

You might want to try a KX4 or KX4D LED bezel built by Surefire. 120 lumens, and should work well on your 6P body.

Paladin

troika

Newly Enlightened
I know that Surefires are great lights and I knew I was buying an old and modified one with some stated problems.