Coast / Led Lenser P7

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I know, I know, nobody here likes these lights, BUT I was just curious about them and ended up getting a P7 200lm 4xAAA and HOLY SMOKES IT'S BRIGHT AS HECK!! I did a little runtime test and haven't really seen a huge drop in output (not regulated) maybe due to the eneloops i'm using, seems pretty acceptable to me. Anyways just wanted to put it out there to anyone looking at them. Got it pretty cheap on Amazon for $38. I could probably do some beam shots tomorrow night for anyone interested.

I'll add that I had an HP7 before but it got returned due to a faulty head that moved on its own when the light got hot if left in the car, so I didn't really get to play with it. I just think I got a bad light because this P7 is brighter and no issues with the head although it is a different model by Coast.
IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

( The beam doesn't look this blue in person!)
IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

P7 in flood mode.
IMG_2753.jpg

P7 in spot mode.

Last edited:

cccpull

Enlightened
I know, I know, nobody here likes these lights, BUT I was just curious about them and ended up getting a P7 200lm 4xAAA and HOLY SMOKES IT'S BRIGHT AS HECK!! I did a little runtime test and haven't really seen a huge drop in output (not regulated) maybe due to the eneloops i'm using, seems pretty acceptable to me. Anyways just wanted to put it out there to anyone looking at them. Got it pretty cheap on Amazon for $38. I could probably do some beam shots tomorrow night for anyone interested.

Sure, let's see some beam shots. BTW, that was a good price. I personally like them, they're about the only production spot to flood worth anything. Don't worry about anybody else's opinion, if you like it, that's all that counts.:) Gave a T7 to my son and was considering getting one (T7, P7 or the new HP7) for myself.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Sure, let's see some beam shots. BTW, that was a good price. I personally like them, they're about the only production spot to flood worth anything. Don't worry about anybody else's opinion, if you like it, that's all that counts.:) Gave a T7 to my son and was considering getting one (T7, P7 or the new HP7) for myself.
Thanks for the kind reply:). The only reason I bought it was because the price was low, I had looked at the P7 a few months ago and it was $70 so I passed on it. I think I might pick up the HP17, at 615 lumens with the optics it should be a neat light to have. The newer Coast HP series I believe have some spill to them instead of the no spill LL lights.

Matchstyx

Newly Enlightened
I'd be interested to see some beamshots, and what you think of the build in general. I picked up a P2, because it was the only small light I could find with both a clickie and a place to put it on a keychain. It's not a bad little light.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the P7 is the light I was looking at at Lowes a few weekends back. I am not a fan of AAA batteries, or most lights with optics, but it still has my interest. I own a few Coast lights that use AA batteries and they are inexpensive, but pretty well made. I actually ended up buying an Enercell light at Radio Shack that looks like the P7 on steroids! It has to be made by the same company. The RS light is rated at 180 lumens, has the same focuing mechanism, but used 4 AA batteries and is quite a bit larger!!
I may still get the P7 as I believe it has a high and low setting. The RS light is just single mode.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I'd be interested to see some beamshots, and what you think of the build in general. I picked up a P2, because it was the only small light I could find with both a clickie and a place to put it on a keychain. It's not a bad little light.
Sounds like a cool little light for sure.

The build quality on the P7 feels very solid, made from aluminum I believe, no battery rattle, no scratches or marks on the finish. There was what looked like a crack or defect on the lens but found out it is just part of their manufacturing process.

I think the P7 is the light I was looking at at Lowes a few weekends back. I am not a fan of AAA batteries, or most lights with optics, but it still has my interest. I own a few Coast lights that use AA batteries and they are inexpensive, but pretty well made. I actually ended up buying an Enercell light at Radio Shack that looks like the P7 on steroids! It has to be made by the same company. The RS light is rated at 180 lumens, has the same focuing mechanism, but used 4 AA batteries and is quite a bit larger!!
I may still get the P7 as I believe it has a high and low setting. The RS light is just single mode.
Never heard of Enercell, sounds interesting as well. The P7 actually has 3 modes, low, high, and boost mode which is a momentary press on the switch.

gea

Newly Enlightened
I have the P7 and the new MT7. Both are good lights but rings oh those rings I can't stand those rings. They got the worst beam patterns of
all the lights I owned. They're battery hogs too, get about an hour on hight on a good day rechargeables or not.
If you think the P7's bright try the fenix tk35 it will blow your mind.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
If you think the P7's bright try the fenix tk35 it will blow your mind.

Oh I do have high power lights as well including the Fenix TK35, TK40, Maelstrom S12, M3XC4, Zebralight SC600 ETC........ I was just really surprised how bright the P7 is, I just didn't expect it. I think the optic plays tricks on your eyes as far as output goes.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Not everybody dislikes LL lights; I like them. I think the problem people have with them is usually the price, no regulation and not waterproof. However, with the latest ones, you have reasonable prices, regulation added to the great flood-to-throw and they are a damn fine light if you can get them at a good price. I've got a few (K3, P5, P7, MT7 and M14, H14) and they are all great, especially the MT7.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Not everybody dislikes LL lights; I like them. I think the problem people have with them is usually the price, no regulation and not waterproof. However, with the latest ones, you have reasonable prices, regulation added to the great flood-to-throw and they are a damn fine light if you can get them at a good price. I've got a few (K3, P5, P7, MT7 and M14, H14) and they are all great, especially the MT7.
How is the HP14? Do those models have any spill or is it like the LL lights with no spill and does it throw well? I was looking at the HP17 with 615 lumens and just wondering what the beam profile is on the HP lights. If the focus is like my P7, then that HP17 would be one crazy light.

Last edited:

Blackbird_CaD_

Newly Enlightened
I also like Led Lenser.
I have T7, M7, and M14.
I don't understand how people can buy flashlights which doesn't have spot to flood. I want to see more spot to flood flashlights.

dennis07921

Newly Enlightened
I got a Coast P7 at Amazon for $45 delivered and the great price is why I bought it but it is a great light, bright and well made I think.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Well I was going to post some beam shots, but for some reason I can't resize the pictures to put in this thread. If I can figure out whats wrong, I will post them.

cccpull

Enlightened
Well I was going to post some beam shots, but for some reason I can't resize the pictures to put in this thread. If I can figure out whats wrong, I will post them.

Unbelievable!:shakehead How old are? If you're young there's no excuse, if you're old, well that figures.:D

cccpull

Enlightened
haha yeah I may be old but I do my best to keep up with technology:tinfoil:. It's Photobuckets fault, not mine. :rant:

Me too (old and try to keep up).:) Check out a free software called Pixresizer. :thumbsup:

mishu.daniel

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 x LL, M7 and X21. The M7 is regulated and it has an great beam. I compared it against my M3C4, TK35 and V60c and I'm really impressed. I think you should pay attention at P7, it's not regulated and the eneloops can burn the LED due to the higher voltage they can deliver compared to primaries. The X21 is not regulated as well but for 1000 lumens claimed is a great thrower & flooder imo. I saw X21 is not very appreciated due to unregulated output which doesn't support rechargeable batteries, but I made a trick, I'm using 3 x GP 9000mAh + a dummy battery only to fill the space. It has more or less the same characteristics.