What is your Incan to LED ratio?

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ican: 10
LED: 18.

As much as I love the extra output and runtime and even the warm color of the new LED emitters, I have a few incan lights in my EDC rotation.
Are you still buying incans, converting to LED or only buying LED lights now?

dougie

Enlightened
Personally, I can't think of any reason to buy LED's now. Sickly yellow beams, battery inefficient and unreliable. Oh and that's just for starters!...lol. With every new generation technology advances. What would the world do without the telephones, radios, TV and nowadays the home computer? The humble flashlight is like the incandescent bulb shortly to be no more than a distant memory. Better to get in on the act now than to become a Luddite!

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Personally, I can't think of any reason to buy LED's now. Sickly yellow beams, battery inefficient and unreliable.

I'd prefer a Yellow beam over a green, purple, blue, brown, etc.. any day of the week. It's funny how people say that incan beams are sickly yellow etc, but you see the majority going for neutral or with a light that closely mimics the tint of incan beams, truly amazing!!

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
It's funny how people say that incan beams are sickly yellow etc, but you see the majority going for neutral or with a light that closely mimics the tint of incan beams, truly amazing!!
Not too sure whether they're the majority or just very vocal.
I for one prefer LEDs to be slightly cooler rather than yellow.
Norm

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I admit majority was the wrong word to use, I'd say it was pretty close though. A couple of years ago when neutral and R5 (i think that's it) emitters came out, it was all the rage. The majority of companies were offering lights equipped with R5 or neutral emitters. Companies are not going to develop an emitter if only a handful of people requested it, they would of received overwhelming requests to develop them emitters. Lately it seems to have died down a bit.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Well, I do have the two "Two for $6" D cell lights I bought a coupe years ago for an astronomy class (Note: Don't buy a 2-D cell flashlight to turn into a red light for night vision - you use an awful lot of stop-light tape bringing down the light level.) I still keep one of them around to compare against the last purchase to say things like "See...see how much better this is than the old style lamps." ( I wonder why we never see run times with carbon-zinc batteries...)

Bill

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think high CRI is all the rage... something to do with how the sun is a black body source of light, and so are incan's. So it's the most "natural" light, or the light we're most used to because we see it every day coming from the sun. So a vocal group really advocate high CRI light sources... I also quite like a cooler temp though. We're just accustomed to what we call high CRI because we come from a planet that circles around Sol (well, most of us here do)...

dougie

Enlightened
:naughty:Well, to all my American cousins who caught me out with my grammatical error you were right!! I should of said:''any reason NOT to buy LEDs''! However, a back injury which isn't responding to modern medicine is being relieved by the more antiquated method of alcohol!! Please forgive a old and obviously inebriated Brit?

dougie

Enlightened
Jeeps, its late and I didn't read the posts correctly..duh! I should have said my Antipodean friends...lol!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few incan lights just for the novelty. Most are old skool retro lights that I just like the look of. I like the switch where my thumb is and I like the momentary button. The warm light is nice for some purposes but the beam is ugly unless you diffuse it (which I do).

In general I use LED's and prefer a cool neutral tint (no yellow). High CRI is fine in concept but it's meaningless unless mentioned along with color temperature. Rather I should say comparing CRI emitters of differing color temps is meaningless.

Since incans are so inefficient I'm fine with the few I have being relatively low output lights. I have no Mags. I have several retro lights as mentioned and one drop-in that is rarely used in a 6P.

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened
I still have both my Streamlight Scorpion and NF-2 incans from patrol work. I've converted the NF-2 to take RCR123's now so that's in my daily rotation. Just couldn't find it in me to get rid of any of those, minus the fact that they would resell for less than half of retail now since everyone's in the hype of LED's. The Scorpion sits in my field bag, and then I still have two brand new Pelican SabreLites, minus the third one which now sits as an empty host from so much usage and going through 2 lamp modules. Reason I still have all those is from real world experience. In a life and death situation I'd rather have the true color rendering of the incans to light any persons that may be within yards of me that could cause me harm. Cool tinted led's just doesn't outline any persons or animals like warm tinted incans do. Also my SabreLites just pierce through the fog or smoke all that much better. I guess that's why I haven't given into the idea of an led weapon mounted light. Still have my old trustworthy Steamlight M3X also on my XD-40.
The extra cost for primary batteries to power these juice sucking incans just doesn't outweigh my life, still now and especially then. All in all I have roughly a 1:1 ratio of incans to led's, and half my led's are neutral or HCRI led's.

Last edited:

notrefined

Enlightened
10 incans, 30 LEDs...but I've gone to a whole lot of trouble to make that 30 LEDs with output that looks incan :devil:

L.E.D. FOOT

Newly Enlightened
I sold off all of my Incans and went to LED....

Incans -0 : LED -More than any normal person should own :thumbsup: