Hotel Flashlights on the Big Island

HIDblue

Enlightened
I took a vacation last year to the Big Island of Hawaii and stayed at the Mauni Lani Resort. Very relaxing, but the one thing I remember was being blown away by a really 'old-school' flashlight that was set-up in the closet of every guest room. I was surprised that a hotel actually provided a flashlight for guest use until I saw that it was a relic of a Panasonic rechargeable Emergency Light. I completely forgot to take beamshots, but I can tell you that it was not much brighter than a lit match. Regardless, it was just a cool sight to see...the light itself was in pretty pristine condition.

Anyone know what light it actually is?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, if those are the original rechargeable batteries in that thing, they must be completely wasted by now. I'm surprised the light even turned on at all. I had some of those old pseudo "D" cell ni-cads (that were really AA in a D shell) that would run a 3D Mag for a short time, at a really dim level, before crapping out. They charge up to an okay voltage but as soon as you put load on them they crater.

The hotel management/owners have probably completely forgotten that those lights are there, if they ever knew!

Richub

Enlightened
This reminds me of a story my dad told me recently:

My parents are staying in a apartment building in Portugal this winter, and the owner showed them their apartment.

He said: "We also include an emergency light in case the power fails." The light mentioned must have been like the one in the OP. My dad turned it on, and pulled his tiny Fenix E05 from his pocket which blew that 'emergency light' completely away.

It's easy to imagine that hotel owner dropping his jaw to the floor seeing that tiny light outshine his 'emergency light'. :devil:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what a traditional Japanese flashlight looks like, not ancient at all. FWIW they're good quality, just nowhere near as bright as the high tech lights we're used to.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Its a joke Norm, dakine is a term Hawaiin's use when they can't figure out what it is.

Stone the Crows it went straight over this Aussies head, damn language barrier.

May all your chooks turn into emus and kick yer dunny down :)

Even now?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stone the Crows it went straight over this Aussies head, damn language barrier.

May all your chooks turn into emus and kick yer dunny down :)

Even now?

:confused:

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened
This thread just reminded me of the Eveready Captain 2C flashlights that my dad gave to me and my brother for our birthday (maybe when we turned 10). He got them because he wanted us to have flashlights by our bed and that they also looked like lightsabers. They're silver and look somewhat similar to that Panasonic.

Also, my dad had a Black and Decker emergency light in the garage. It had a square head and sat in a docking/recharging cradle on the wall. As a kid I didn't realize it was a flashlight until later. I actually thought it was the handheld vacuum cleaner my dad used when he cleaned the inside of his car.