Beacon Light

sunny_nites

Enlightened
There seems to be a lot of interest in these beacon lights so I took some advice and split this out from my "modded keychain" post.

I got the inspiration for these from calipsoii and his lamplighter project. If anyone is interested in buying something like this, check in with calipsoii . There was some discussion on his post about possible sales but I haven't seen an update in a while so I'm not sure what the status is.

This post is for info on how I built my version, in case you want to try something similar as well as future upgrades and hopefully ideas from some of you.

And now on with the show.

The intention for these lights is to run them on incredibly low current for an unusually long time. The obvious purpose is, of course, to act as a beacon to allow you to find something in the dark, ie. Keychains, flashlights, etc. Think of them as something along the lines of a GID fob or maybe a trit.

I built a couple of beacons using the common current regulation circuit but don't really think it adds much to the abilities of the light (let me know if interested and I can provide more details on the circuit, printing, etching, components, etc). I ended up just using a 220kohm SMD resistor to limit current to something less than 10 micro amps. My meter only goes down to 10 micros and the LED draw won't register so they are running at something less than that. Looking for a meter that goes lower to get a better idea of what the current consumption is exactly.

I've built two different sizes; one that uses LR44 (200mah) batteries and LR621 (30mah) batteries. In theory, the LR621s should last around 6 months and the LR44s could last a couple of years. That's all theoretical of course. I've only been running them for a couple of weeks or so.
PB280937.jpg

Lights out.
PB280939.jpg

The real trick to this project was finding the "right" LED. I tried every type I could think of; SMD, 5mm, 3mm, domed, low domed, frosted, clear, every color available, UV with reactive phospher coatings, etc. What I found that worked the best was this odd looking 5mm (clear or colored, didn't seem to make much of a difference) unit with the dimple in the top. Not sure what these are officially called (thanks to VegasF6 for the name of these LEDs: inverted cone) but I've seen them used in a lot of Christmas lighting. The point on the inside of the dome actually creates all the magic and it makes the lights appear much brighter than they have any right to be. Also, the LED color made a huge difference, green and Blue were the clear winners.

PB280942.jpg

PB280943.jpg

Last edited by sunny_nites; 11-29-2011 at 08:20 AM.

The LED pictured above is actually a red and green unit in one package. You change the color by reversing the polarity of the battery.

Probably the hardest part of the build for me was creating the round circuit board. I had been cutting them to the approximate size and sanding them into shape. I just got a hold of some circular metal punches that show some promise. I'll provide an update when I have a chance to work with them a little more.

The circuit is really simple. I just used a dremel to make to make two cuts on the board rather than etching them.

PC030967.jpg

This is a finished board made with only two cuts and two holes for the LED. The microscopic grain of sand bridging two of the cuts is the 220meg SMD resistor. The brass clip holds the batteries together and provides the ground. I tried several methods of insulating the clip but everything proved too big to allow the batteries and circuit to fit into the container or too unreliable. I finally found a cheap and easy solution in clear scotch tape.

PC030969.jpg

Have to use something to insulate the circuit except for the single contact for the other leg of the LED. I use liquid electrical tape. You want to build up the contact for the led with extra solder to get it above the insulation and to allow it to connect to the battery adequately.

PC030960.jpg

The larger beacons were made with 1/2" ID poly-carbonate tubing and 1/2" poly-carbonate rod. They are fairly large in size but work well on a key chain. The smaller beacons were made with the plastic portion of pill holders as in the picture above. But note they are all not made the same! Both pill holders were purchased from the same place but several months apart and they are different. The one on the right has a plastic lid and the beacon circuit and batteries fit perfectly. The unit on the left has a metal lid and at first I thought would be a great improvement over the plastic but It turned out not to be so easy.

PC030962.jpg

It's a bit hard to see because of the glare but notice that the holder on the left has thicker walls than the holder on the right? Unfortunately, that makes all the difference and the LR621 batteries will not fit with the ground strap. That being said, I have been working with these holders and there may be hope. I was able to mill a channel inside the plastic for the strap and it may just work. I need to make a smaller circuit board as well to really try it out.

Stay tuned!!

Last edited:

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
Would it make any significant difference to the current which (5mm) LED is used? I can't see that it would matter that much so I could quickly connect up something at work - we can go down to 10nA but not sure to what accuracy without checking.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
I haven't measured the difference in current between different types of LEDs, ie. 3mm, 5mm, SMD, etc but at the same voltage and resistor combination, there is a difference in how much current is drawn by color, because different colors have different voltage drops.

The thing I was really surprised by was the difference in brightness between different colored LEDs running at the same current. Not sure if it is the sensitivity of our eyes to different colors or the efficiency of the materials that generate the color or something else entirely?

I'll try to get a comparison shot of some of the different colors I looked at so you can judge for yourself.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Still Having fun with calipsoii's lamplighter inspired beacon lights.

Pretty much settled on lithium CR2032 and 1632 batteries to power these little guys. I found some 3mm blue inverted cone LEDs and they allow for a really small build. Still green and blue are by far the most efficient.

P1211095.jpg

Driving these little guys at 5 micro amps. I tried several different current loads and really think the 20 micro amps I was running the original lights on was too bright. Tried 15, 10 before eventually settling on 5. Might be hard to imagine but you really don't want these lights to be too bright as they are really just to help you find your keys or a maybe a flashlight in the dark and not serve as a night light. The 5 micros gives a great run time too.

P1211098.jpg

At 5 micro amps, you can barely tell they are on in daylight. In the dark it's an entirely different story.

P1211094.jpg

I tried several different methods of attaching the leads to the battery; heatsrink tubing looked promising at first but proved to be unreliable, wire glue worked great but didn't look good on the finished lights (as you can see on the two in the picture above). Finally settled on plain old clear scotch tape. It is very inexpensive and completely reliable. Good thing as you can't fix it once the polymer has cured!

P1211100.jpg

Got my hands on a couple of CR2450s, the mother of all lithium coin cells.

P1211101.jpg

It makes a really big light as compared to the little guy rocking the CR1632 but with 560mah on tap, it could in theory run for over 10 years! Check back in around 2022 for an update.

P1211093.jpg

So, I had a lot of experiments that didn't turn out so well for a variety of reasons. What to do with carcasses? Most of them were running fine but the polymer didn't cure right and they were tacky or foggy or had some other cosmetic issue. I had been tossing them into a small polypropylene cup when I had an idea. Just fill in with more resin :naughty:

P12110901.jpg

For the moment, my wife is patiently indulging my wish to display my "sculpture" but it wouldn't surprise me to much if it didn't suffer an accident some day, along the lines of the leg lamp in "Christmas Story".

Thanks for looking.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, inspired by "lamplighter" and "Beacon light" i decided to tread these waters as well.
my wife has a slight addiction to Peeing on a stick (preg tests) and on occasion uses the electronic tests, of which my natural curiosity peaked & i just HAD to take one apart and see how it works, low and behold what do i find, but a CR1616 3v lithium cell and 3 SMD LEDs as well as a decent selection of other SMD components!
in this photo, you can see the main board which i cut on the red line, the 3 leds, batt holder and other various components. i used an inverted cone netural white LED from a string of x-mas lights, 2 SMD resistors found on the test board and a drillbit to drill the holes for the led leads by hand.
fob1.jpg

here is the board, and led all together.
fob2.jpg

where on the original board i soldered the resistors and LED
fob3.jpg

Batt, board and LED all together and lit.
fob4.jpg

after the epoxy hardened. (i must say i'm a tad disappointed in the epoxy job but it's what i had handy) i even used one of the pee sticks protective caps as a mold! ;)
fob5.jpg

fob6.jpg

and shots in the dark....
fob7.jpg

fob8.jpg

this one is probably closest to actual brightness
fob9.jpg

this all came to mind after seeing these as a calumniation of realizing my wife needed a better way to find her keys, use of parts normally thrown out and putting to use the knowledge of others ideas here on CPF. thanks guys!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a wonderful project, thanks for documenting it for us.
Surely you've seen promotions of future battery charging for smartphones and such where you just set them on a pad and the batteries are recharged with EMF?
This could be worked into your project as well, completely sealed, periodically recharged!
-Or a tiny, tiny solar panel. ;-)

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks for the interest, eh4.
I have been following wireless charging progress with great enthusiasm. I haven't seen any equipment small enough for something like a beacon light yet but I'm hoping there will be in the not too distant future.
Good idea about solar charging too, I do have several small panels and some rechargeable coin cells that would probably work. I'll post some pictures when I have a chance to give it a try.

moderator007

Enlightened
Been following this for awhile. Great job by the way! Did you ever try a circuit that would flash ever so many seconds. I would like to make one with a flashing beacon. I have seen some small flashing circuits just wondering if you had tried any of them or know which one would work good with a low current draw.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
I have played around with a few blinking and color changing lights and circuits. The color changer LED I looked at has the circuitry built in so it was pretty simple to work with. Problem was it needed at least 10mah to run. Similar issue with the blinking LED with the built in circuit. They need too much juice to run embedded and non rechargeable. I took a look at this circuit but haven't played with it yet:
http://www.discovercircuits.com/H-Corner/lowpwrflasher.htm
I believe it is similar to what comes built into some off the shelf lights. I have a Coleman lantern with a similar circuit. It blinks briefly about every 3 or 4 seconds and would likely have a good run time. Definitively on my list of circuits to try out.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
This is another build I tried. It is from a thin wall polypropylene test tube.

Technically, it is not embedded but the epoxy has it more or less permanently sealed. It is running at 10micro amps on 3 x LR44 batteries with a 200mah reserve. Should run for at lest a couple of years.

P1231093.jpg

P1231094.jpg

mash.m

Enlightened
hi,

i started with ultra low current some years ago with high power cree emitters. they start to glow at 50µA. with an 36500 lion battery they will glow for many moths/years.
on my last mod (a lummi raw) i did the same again, but with smd led´s. i must try out more then 20 types before i found some that glow bright at the ultra low current. maybe you should give the smd leds a try to make your builds a little smaller. these builds are looking so good:

P1211095.jpg

this is my raw:
4swf-ga-a86c.jpg

the four 0603 smd led´s start to glow at 3µa. with this current you can see them really good at night. on the picture obove they "glow" at 200µA so i can also use it as nightlight. i recharge the battery every week so the current draw of 33mA/week is no problem.

markus

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Great build mash.m!

I settled on the inverted cone LED because they offered the brightest bang for the buck that I have been able to find so far. The tip of the cone really does the trick. It provides a reflected point of light away from the die or any other obscuring electronics and allows a very wide view. I haven't been able to find that in a SMD LED so far but I admit I have only been able to scratch the surface. There are probably hundreds of styles of SMD and some of those may work even better, I just haven't run across it yet.

The other draw for the inverted cones is their low cost. Around December and into the first part of January, you can pick them up for pennies a piece!

More than the LED, the batteries in my builds have been the limiting factor for size. Since these are embedded and the battery can't be changed, I wanted to be able to run the light for at least a year or more. That required batteries that could put out at least 100mah. All the EDCs I carry are flat so I naturally looked at lithium coin cells. Since a single cell with provide enough voltage to run a green or blue LED it also allowed a much simpler build as compared to stacking three or four 1.5v cells.

That being said, I am working on a 3mm blue unit that will run on some tiny silver oxide cells (probably won't get a year of run time from this one). Should be crazy small. I'll post some build pics as soon as I can.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
More than the LED, the batteries in my builds have been the limiting factor for size. Since these are embedded and the battery can't be changed

I've actually been parting out ideas for (Bigger-scale build thread here) making the battery recharge, and keeping things small.

1. Tiny USB flash drive
fqn4O.jpg
not much bigger than the USB connector
2. Trickle-charged 3xNiMH button cells in series
(The neatestI can find are about 80 mAh at 6x15mm)
3. Build as above, pot in epoxy.
Result:
Recharging USB storage that finds your keys for you.

The overall size will be not much bigger than that CR2032 build, but thicker. I think it's about right for keychain carry, but I haven't been able to build it yet.

Darvis

Enlightened
I have a dumb question, but is the circuit for this build simply battery+resistor+led?

So you have your cr2032, the LED and a resistor that takes it down to an output level that seems dim/bright enough?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a dumb question, but is the circuit for this build simply battery+resistor+led?

So you have your cr2032, the LED and a resistor that takes it down to an output level that seems dim/bright enough?
Yep. And my charging circuit has two resistors - one for the trickle charge (a few hundred ohms) and one for the LED (Pick for dimness)

Darvis

Enlightened
Wow, thanks AnApple!! I thought it might be that simple, but was doubting myself.. thanks for confiming, going to begin building one of these today. I have tons of red LEDS from my Joule Thief project, and as many 2032's and resistors. This is excellent!!!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thanks AnApple!! I thought it might be that simple, but was doubting myself.. thanks for confiming, going to begin building one of these today. I have tons of red LEDS from my Joule Thief project, and as many 2032's and resistors. This is excellent!!!
Enjoy! Just to confirm - don't try charging CR2032s. I was charging NiMHs.

Darvis

Enlightened
Was busting my noodle on how to build one of these without going the glue and epoxy route and settled on this:

206g1na.jpg

I have tons of these (seem to get one with just about any order these days) and it seems like it might just do the trick. Has a neat, on off switch, comes with batteries that can be changed, etc. I'm going to add my new choice of LED and resistor and see how it works.

The best thing is that it's keychain ready and no worse than any building access fob.

It's not waterproof, but maybe it does not need to be..