GU10 LED recommendation?

IcantC

Enlightened
Hello,

Looking to replace about 15 GU10 bulbs, all are will be for track lighting in kitchen. Currently they run 35watt halogen. I would love a replacement LED that will match the output, if not more.

I hate cool blue and want something where color matches the halogens. Dimmable would be great but not a deal breaker, would also like something not overly pricey.

I have been lookin and researching, but am lost. I did read that soon cree MTG will be used in the GU10. I have not seen any so far. Best pricing I have seen is for a few warm white 5ws on eBay.

I'm located in the US fwiw.

Last edited:

carbonita

Newly Enlightened
If you're still looking, I've replaced my last 6 heavily used halogens with EarthLED valulux GU10s, going from 210Watts to 30W (labeled, not measured). IMHO, a great deal for these specs: 250lumen, 2800k, 75CRI, 50mm x 47mm . Search at slideshare for more detailed specs. Base appears to be ceramic, with metal cooling fins surrounding the 3 emitters.

skyled

Newly Enlightened
PM sent

Norm

I have the Earthled GU10, an older model Philips GU10 (which was nearly $26 dollars at the time of purchase) and I just got Tuwago's GU10 (for $17).

Philips was the worst with such a narrow beam angle it was more of a spot light. Very white and cold too.
Earthled had a strange tint to it which make things uncomfortable to look at.
Tuwago's is slightly yellow but the best in light output and dispersion.

I guess it depends on what you need. I needed a flood light, warm light, and dimmable. Tuwago's worked.

wws944

Enlightened
The Home Depot Ecosmart GU-10 is rated at 320 lumens and 3K color temp. It is actually a Lighting Sciences Definity. I tried one in my track light. Even though the box says "20 watt equivalent", it is fairly close in brightness to the 50 watt GU10s in there now. My main issue with it is that it really doesn't want to dim with a dimmer.

Has anyone compared the Ecosmart/LSG GU10 to the Tuwago GU10?

wws944

Enlightened
Was at Home Depot yesterday and noticed they offer a new Philips GU10. It is rated at 300 lumens, dimmable, and is priced at $29.97. Too new to be on their web site yet. Interestingly, on the front of the carton they claim it is "50 watt" equivalent.

wws944

Enlightened
I bought one of the new 6-watt Philips GU10 bulbs. Did some comparisons against the 6 watt Ecosmart and 50 watt halogens. I like the Philips bulb a lot. It uses a single LED vs four in the Ecosmart. I tested them in the 6 bulb track light over our dining room table. Based on the amount of usage of our track light, it doesn't make fiscal sense to buy LEDs based on energy savings. However the halogens generate a very noticeable amount of heat. The reduction in heat by using LEDS should make dining more comfortable.

Using the "Light Meter" app on my phone to make rough measurements, both the Philips and Ecosmart are about the same brightness. Both measured brighter than the 50 watt halogens. The Light Meter readings are not averaged very well, so it is hard to get a very stable reading. So the best I will quote is that the LEDs measured somewhere between 700 and 800 lux (at 1 foot), and the halogens measured in the 500 lux range.

Colorwise, both LED bulbs are noticably "whiter" than the halogens at full brightness - even though all are rated at 3000 K. And of course when dimming, the LEDs maintain their color whereas the halogens turn orange. Over a dining room table, dimmed halogens are a bit more "romantic" vs the more antiseptic look of the halogens.

Speaking of dimming, whereas the Ecosmart bulb is not very happy about dimming, the Philips bulb does a wonderful job of it. Using a Lutron DV600 dimmer, the minimum brightness for the Ecosmart was in the 100 lumen range, whereas for the Philips LED and the halogens, it is barely measurable.

One other thing I noticed: When I removed all the halogens and just had the two LED bulbs in the track light, I noticed a bit of flickering from the Ecosmart bulb. A small adjustment on the dimmer took care of it. However there was no such flickering from the Philips.

Bottom line is that if good dimming is a requirement, the Philips is the way to go. If not, save a few bucks and buy the Ecosmart.

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
Was at Home Depot yesterday and noticed they offer a new Philips GU10. It is rated at 300 lumens, dimmable, and is priced at $29.97. Too new to be on their web site yet. Interestingly, on the front of the carton they claim it is "50 watt" equivalent.

Cool. Could I trouble you for a model number? I can't find anything like this, on Amazon or Google, or even on the Philips web site. Thanks!

Edit: nevermind. Just found it on the Home Depot site. Duh! :ohgeez:

Last edited:

kaiseris

Newly Enlightened
LED-noob wants to try GU10 bulbs

I would like to try LED lighting in my bathroom and am looking into cheaper Chinese GU10 bulbs (220V). Could anyone recommend something as decent as possible considering low pricing.
Cheers!

Latest posts