Imalent
Page 1 of 215 123456781151101 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 16

Default HDS Systems EDC # 16

As Henry always stated, this thread is for the discussion of the use, features, function etc. of the HDS EDC/Rotary lights. Keep it clean and friendly and on topic. Thanks guys. GO!

Continued from # 15.

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 16

Okay, last thread I discussed not being able to get my tactical out of lock out unless the battery is a fresh one, if the battery is used a lot, it wont come out of lock out. I have tried the batteries when the light doesn't work in other flashlights and they work fine. I press three times like normal and nothing. The light still does the flashes to indicate it's in lock out and wont turn on.

Is something wrong with the light? I just don't get it. Parasitic drain maybe?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by duro View Post
    Okay, last thread I discussed not being able to get my tactical out of lock out unless the battery is a fresh one, if the battery is used a lot, it wont come out of lock out. I have tried the batteries when the light doesn't work in other flashlights and they work fine. I press three times like normal and nothing. The light still does the flashes to indicate it's in lock out and wont turn on.

Is something wrong with the light? I just don't get it. Parasitic drain maybe?
    If you are doing 3 fast clicks (3 clicks in rapid succession) and it isn't coming out of button lock then your light might have some issues. I would call Henry and see what he says.

Would it be antisocial to mod a Titanium Clicky to an XML?
    Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

Quote Originally Posted by stoli67 View Post
    Would it be antisocial to mod a Titanium Clicky to an XML?
    No. I think it would be cool. You just gotta have the guts to do it. I don't. Mostly because on that one, I wouldn't want to void the warranty. I had to send a Ti Clicky to Henry for fix-it time once, and I woulda been pretty unhappy if he refused to due to my modding it. But, you are not me and I am not you, so if you want to do it, go for it. Then show us what you did.

Have a question for you guys. Is there anyone that I can have mod my HDS clicky to fix the dark center mass in the beam. Im new to modding lights and am not going to attempt this myself. Its driving me crazy and im almost to the point of selling it and buying a Mac's XM-L EDC. Well I might buy one anyway. But any and all advice is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
    Have a question for you guys. Is there anyone that I can have mod my HDS clicky to fix the dark center mass in the beam. Im new to modding lights and am not going to attempt this myself. Its driving me crazy and im almost to the point of selling it and buying a Mac's XM-L EDC. Well I might buy one anyway. But any and all advice is appreciated.
    You mean even when pointing it a few meters away? Or about a couple of inches away?
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    You mean even when pointing it a few meters away? Or about a couple of inches away?
    Yes. You can even see the fault in the beam when its about 6 feet away on a wall. I tried to take some pictures but they did not turn out good. Also the Emitter is very much not centered. Thoughts?

Flashaholic*

That's odd, my doughnut hole is gone at around 4-5 inches and I believe that is the norm (rotary 200 XPG). If anyone alters the light you can potentially lose the warranty. I'd call Henry before I modded anything.

Enlightened

200 EDC owners - have 200 lumens been sufficient for most of your tasks?

All my EDC lights are sub-200 lumens. Even the customs. I think that 200 is plenty for 99% of uses.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    All my EDC lights are sub-200 lumens. Even the customs. I think that 200 is plenty for 99% of uses.
    I feel the same way... I'd be more then happy with 100 high CRI lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by TyJo View Post
    I feel the same way... I'd be more then happy with 100 high CRI lumens.
    I EDC my high CRI 100 and find that it covers 99% of my lighting needs. Sure, it would be nice if it were 200 or more lumens on max, but 100 is pretty sufficient. Actually, the mode I use most is around 20 lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
    Yes. You can even see the fault in the beam when its about 6 feet away on a wall. I tried to take some pictures but they did not turn out good. Also the Emitter is very much not centered. Thoughts?
    Then I suggest you call Henry and send it back. Could be a case of misalignment on the reflector.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by stuffgeek View Post
    In my opinion, anything more than 200 lumen is a want, not a need. I am happy running my lights at 100 lumen or less and find that it covers most of my needs. Just to make sure I am certain of what I am talking about, I went on a trekking trip using only a 80 or 90 lumen McGizmo high CRI Haiku and realized that it is enough. Of course I am not denying that the more we have the merrier it will be, but day to day usage who really needs more?

I'm there with the idea that a decent 100 lumens is enough for most purposes and it's up to the buyer to realize if their needs go beyond. For purposes where you might want more throw it's hard to not benefit from the extra output that most lights now offer, but I too find the outputs from my high CRI Clicky to be plenty most of the time, as are my other 'low output' high CRI lights - Haiku and V10R.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Flashaholic

Just recieved and opened the package with my new Rotary 200 enclosed. The rotary ring was a bit stiff but after a couple of twists it is feeling better already. There is one question i would like to ask though?

I have a silver bezel for this light on the way from Henry and i just went to unscrew the bezel like i do on my legacy 170T and the whole section beneath the bezel, including the reflector started to unscrew instead. Should the bezel come off the same as my legacy or will the silver bezel for my rotary come with the reflector as well?

I have tried to grip the bezel just to turn that but there is very little to grab hold of.

Help!

I've actually never been able to separate the bezel from the reflector. I don't know if they used Locktite or something similar during assembly. I haven't taken tools to it yet because I'm afraid of causing damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil40000 View Post
    Just recieved and opened the package with my new Rotary 200 enclosed. The rotary ring was a bit stiff but after a couple of twists it is feeling better already. There is one question i would like to ask though?

I have a silver bezel for this light on the way from Henry and i just went to unscrew the bezel like i do on my legacy 170T and the whole section beneath the bezel, including the reflector started to unscrew instead. Should the bezel come off the same as my legacy or will the silver bezel for my rotary come with the reflector as well?

I have tried to grip the bezel just to turn that but there is very little to grab hold of.

Help!

I don't know how the legacy comes apart but my rotary comes apart exactly the same as yours,if i loosen the bezel,the lens & reflector come apart.
    I e-mailed Henry yesterday & i got a reply from him within the hour so if you've got any questions about any of his lights i'd just drop him a line.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffgeek View Post

For 90% of the time 200 is enough for me,what i would say though if Henry decided to build a 400 lumen rotary or clicky for that matter,i would be ordering one
    as soon as i could.The thing is if you had a 400 lumen flashlight made by Henry you would have the choice to programme it to whatever level of light you would
    want all the way up to 400 lumens.That's what i'd find really apealling for 90% of the time you could have it at say between 100 to 200 lumens,then it would be
    great to be able to push out 400 lumens for that 10% of the time whenever you felt you needed it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Phil40000 View Post

Help!
    IIRC you can damage the reflector or LED on the old legacy lights by tightening down the reflector too much. I believe the new lights are designed so that you cannot over tighten the reflector, but do so at your own risk, I don't want my advice ruining someones light. I have also had a hard time getting the bezel separate from the reflector, but I have never removed the bezel completely. I believe the new bezel you ordered will be a bezel without the reflector, the bezel should unscrew off of the reflector assembly I believe, but it is a tight fit.
    Last edited by TyJo; 12-07-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Then I suggest you call Henry and send it back. Could be a case of misalignment on the reflector.
    I emailed Henry about the issue and he wants me to send it in so he can take a look. I honestly think that its got alot to do with the emitter not being centered, its actually off to the side quite a bit. Ill keep you guys updated.

Flashaholic

I feel a bit of a knob but I have quelled my panic. I have managed to separate the head and the bezel assembly is very like the 170T I have already. I have had a bit of a mess with the rotary this very evening and it is truly the flashlight of the gods. Keep that good stuff coming Henry, this is the flashlight of champions.

If you could not tell already by my subtle words, it freaking rocks.

Flashaholic*

In my opinion, anything more than 200 lumen is a want, not a need. I am happy running my lights at 100 lumen or less and find that it covers most of my needs. Just to make sure I am certain of what I am talking about, I went on a trekking trip using only a 80 or 90 lumen McGizmo high CRI Haiku and realized that it is enough. Of course I am not denying that the more we have the merrier it will be, but day to day usage who really needs more?
    I completely agree. I have a 170 lumen HDS light. It's plenty bright. I don't really see much use for a brighter light in this form factor. I guess if a 400 lumen LED were available with similar runtime on a single cell, then, sure, why not? But honestly, with that much light, I'm liable to want a bigger reflector, or other optimizations towards throw, and probably more runtime than could be had with a single cell as well. So I don't really see the use. Honestly, for this form factor, I'm with you - 100 lumens is plenty bright in my opinion. I'd guess that 90% of the time I use this light at about 20 lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
    I've actually never been able to separate the bezel from the reflector. I don't know if they used Locktite or something similar during assembly. I haven't taken tools to it yet because I'm afraid of causing damage.
    A big, wide rubber band around each section should give you the grip necessary to separate them without tools
    I haven't seen any Loctite in the newer models.
    The rubber band method has opened at least half a dozen of the new models for me. Got mine at a local hardware store in the check-out lane with other impulse items.

I've just pulled the trigger on a 170T to go with my rotary exec,i guess i'm going to want the R1B-200 next, god these lights have got me bad.

...I think I already want another one! The 170t was what I was originally going to get, before the 200 Rotary.

I could just see a flush button clicky sitting next to the rotary here?

How hard is it to get the custom colours from Henry? (love the pics of people with the orange).

Has anyone just got an existing HDS and had it coloured somewhere? (sure someone will have). I have had many PC case parts powder coated before... didn't know what would be best for a HDS, hard wearing finish etc, and a process that would not damage the light!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyIvan2011 View Post
    ...I think I already want another one! The 170t was what I was originally going to get, before the 200 Rotary.

I could just see a flush button clicky sitting next to the rotary here?

How hard is it to get the custom colours from Henry? (love the pics of people with the orange).

Has anyone just got an existing HDS and had it coloured somewhere? (sure someone will have). I have had many PC case parts powder coated before... didn't know what would be best for a HDS, hard wearing finish etc, and a process that would not damage the light!
    Alright Ivan,hope your well.There was one for sale in the market place last week,it went straight away though some lucky person was in there like a shot.
    I actualy was going to buy the other rotary from the one i have or a 200T but i searched the web high & low & today while i was at work a mint unused
    170T came up for sale with a spare battery compartment at a really good price so i got straight in & bought it.I should have it by Mon/Tues so that was
    a bonus because i was going to order direct from the U.S.The thing is i've got nearly half the money left on what i would of had to pay.So you know what
    that meen's,i still want the R1B-200 & i've got half the money already.As my wife says it's better than wasting it on drink.

Quote Originally Posted by davyro View Post
    Alright Ivan,hope your well.There was one for sale in the market place last week,it went straight away though some lucky person was in there like a shot.
    I actualy was going to buy the other rotary from the one i have or a 200T but i searched the web high & low & today while i was at work a mint unused
    170T came up for sale with a spare battery compartment at a really good price so i got straight in & bought it.I should have it by Mon/Tues so that was
    a bonus because i was going to order direct from the U.S.The thing is i've got nearly half the money left on what i would of had to pay.So you know what
    that meen's,i still want the R1B-200 & i've got half the money already.As my wife says it's better than wasting it on drink.

Haha....my wife would say the exact same thing (she does actually). I dont have any money spare at the moment, now I got the Rotary, but I think as a treat from my new job I will be starting soon...I will have to get my self a HDS 170!

And apart from the weather here (100mph winds), im just peachy at the moment...actually just adjusting some of the Rotary options
    The weekend approaches, and that means time to look at, and desire new lights!

That rotary does look good but for now I am pretty happy with my older 140GT & just ordered a flat tail cap for it.
    These lights are work horses.
    Keep up the good work Henry.
    Happiness is having a high rate of fire .