SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 3 of 215 FirstFirst 123456789101353103 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 16

Flashaholic*

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 16

Quote Originally Posted by choombak View Post
    I have been waiting quiet a while now for the high-CRI to appear. Apparently, Henry indicated that they are clearing the backlog first before making the high-CRI available. Also, with this wait there is some good news - the high-CRI lights are making an appearance with higher lumens. I do not have any specs on it now, but am super excited.
    I've been waiting for the HCRI too, mostly out of curiousity.

I'm hoping the LED is something new and refreshing for the HCRI fans.

Do we have an estimate on release, will it be sometime early next year?

Quote Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
    I'm sure if it was as easy as that then he would have hired more employees already. But the thing with running a small business, it's never as easy as that.
    It is that easy... There is someone out there that can make the parts he needs. It might cost a little more, but if you can crank out the product the costs shouldn't get in the way of profit when you produce in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by LGT View Post
    Just my two cents. But I find Henry to be one of the most responsive flashlight dealers/builders I have dealt with. I really can't recall the circumstance, but he called me to resolve my problem. I was tounge tied and at a loss of words. And very impressed that he would take the time to place such a call.
    He's very responsive when it comes to fixing a issue, he is totally unresponsive when it comes to fill rate and telling customers an "ETA". I guess I am just sick of the "couple months" thing. He's better off telling people a couple years, then when he finally makes a high cir clicky available a year or so later, he will be everyones hero. Screw it. I am just going to spend the extra dough and buy a haiku. My opinion.. A better quality light, with a better emitter.

I guess I am just on a rant. I own a hds clicky 140 GT. One of the best lights I have ever held. He would hand pick the led, the tints were good on all the lights. No lottery. The beams were smooth as butter. What happened? Oh, I guess if I want all of these attributes now I have to spend over 400 bucks for a mcgizmo. Let me remind you guys, brighter is not always better. Tint and beam quality beat lumens in my opinion.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by choombak View Post
    I have been waiting quiet a while now for the high-CRI to appear. Apparently, Henry indicated that they are clearing the backlog first before making the high-CRI available. Also, with this wait there is some good news - the high-CRI lights are making an appearance with higher lumens. I do not have any specs on it now, but am super excited.
    I was going to get a couple lights after the holidays but I might have to put those on hold if I can get a High CRI Clicky. I hope the High CRI doesn't have any delays....
    Last edited by TyJo; 12-12-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AZPops View Post
    I'm having a problem with my 170T's raised switch, but it's presently not consistent. It will and has at times not respond when clicking it off or on, but will have to repeat clicking a few times before it does respond. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm waiting for the switch either fail and or be more consistent before contacting you (if you’re Henry).

I am also making a conscious effort on how I'm initiating the click, since I've read that the switch can be temperamental to the way it is pressed/used (?).

This hick-up started pretty much after the first few weeks of use. However the Rotary’s raised switch is fine.

Thanks!
    The exact same thing happened to my 200T... Occasional clicks which failed to turn on, off or switch modes.

I cleaned the tip of the signal wire and the ring on the circuit board where it contacts, and that seems to have fixed the problem. I used isopropanol as the cleaning solution and it hasn't missed a click since. I had used a lot of grease on the threads when I first received the light, and I think some small amount may have rubbed off and contaminated the contacts. I now keep the grease to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    The exact same thing happened to my 200T... Occasional clicks which failed to turn on, off or switch modes.

I cleaned the tip of the signal wire and the ring on the circuit board where it contacts, and that seems to have fixed the problem. I used isopropanol as the cleaning solution and it hasn't missed a click since. I had used a lot of grease on the threads when I first received the light, and I think some small amount may have rubbed off and contaminated the contacts. I now keep the grease to a minimum.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kgp View Post
    It is that easy... There is someone out there that can make the parts he needs. It might cost a little more, but if you can crank out the product the costs shouldn't get in the way of profit when you produce in bulk.
    Look, there's a lot more to it than, "Hire more employees, produce more product, make more money." First of all, your profits would need to increase sufficiently to cover the cost of paying an additional employee or employees without simply breaking even, and those profit levels would have to be sustained so you don't start losing money in the long run. I can think of a number of legitimate reasons why Henry wouldn't want to hire more workers.

He's very responsive when it comes to fixing a issue, he is totally unresponsive when it comes to fill rate and telling customers an "ETA". I guess I am just sick of the "couple months" thing. He's better off telling people a couple years, then when he finally makes a high cir clicky available a year or so later, he will be everyones hero. Screw it. I am just going to spend the extra dough and buy a haiku. My opinion.. A better quality light, with a better emitter.

I guess I am just on a rant. I own a hds clicky 140 GT. One of the best lights I have ever held. He would hand pick the led, the tints were good on all the lights. No lottery. The beams were smooth as butter. What happened? Oh, I guess if I want all of these attributes now I have to spend over 400 bucks for a mcgizmo. Let me remind you guys, brighter is not always better. Tint and beam quality beat lumens in my opinion.
    I never really got into much into the tint and beam quality issue. While I understand that they are important to some people, I personally use my HDS and all my other lights, as working lights and have never had anyone who saw it say "Damn, how is the beam quality on that light". But your money, your choice.

Also on the issue fixing vs fill rate and ETA's I'm not surprised that he is more responsive on fixing problems. At least those he can control rather than fill rate and ETA's which is variable. Keep in mind the size of HDS versus some of the other flashlight companies.

You'll certainly not get any arguments from me on the McGizmo front, as you can see by the links in my sig. They are my favorite EDC lights, and I think you'd be well served by one. The Haiku is a fantastic EDC.

But I have to say that in regards to the slow deliveries, I have to stick up for Henry and say it wasn't always like that. When I bought my first clicky direct from Henry, he was telling us two weeks for custom lights, and I had it in 3 days. He has had a particularly bad turn lately with vendors not delivering properly machined, anodized etc. parts, or getting them to him on time, which has set him back significantly. It's hard to get new products out the door when you are desperately trying to fill the backorders first. He's a small operation. Cut him some slack.

And before you claim I am just some HDS fanboy coming to Henry's defense, you should know I have been waiting since August for two lights, so it isn't like I don't know how you're feeling.

even some mcgizmos wont have a perfect beam for example my haiku has a ring close to the edge of the spill beam. id say a 4sevens light would be the way to go if you want a perfectly clean beam pattern

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    You'll certainly not get any arguments from me on the McGizmo front, as you can see by the links in my sig. They are my favorite EDC lights, and I think you'd be well served by one. The Haiku is a fantastic EDC.

But I have to say that in regards to the slow deliveries, I have to stick up for Henry and say it wasn't always like that. When I bought my first clicky direct from Henry, he was telling us two weeks for custom lights, and I had it in 3 days. He has had a particularly bad turn lately with vendors not delivering properly machined, anodized etc. parts, or getting them to him on time, which has set him back significantly. It's hard to get new products out the door when you are desperately trying to fill the backorders first. He's a small operation. Cut him some slack.

And before you claim I am just some HDS fanboy coming to Henry's defense, you should know I have been waiting since August for two lights, so it isn't like I don't know how you're feeling.
    I agree to the above; It is a mark of a quality company that Henry DID NOT ship out the lights that did not meet the standard that he has set for his lights. Many other vendors would have looked the other way at the lack of QC and shipped the goods...

Does anyone have direct insight from Henry on whether he will offer a pocket clip option on the Rotary in the near future?

My 170T arrived today but no one was in to sign for it so it's went back to the post office,i'm gutted i really wanted to take it out tonight & get to know my new
    little best friend.So tomorrow i'll be trying to get it from the post office i just hope it's been returned before it is shut or i'll be going back on Monday

Party Re: HDS Systems EDC # 16

Quote Originally Posted by davyro View Post
    My 170T arrived today but no one was in to sign for it so it's went back to the post office,i'm gutted i really wanted to take it out tonight & get to know my new
    little best friend.So tomorrow i'll be trying to get it from the post office i just hope it's been returned before it is shut or i'll be going back on Monday

I've got it!!!! I've got to say i love the beam profile on my new 170T,it's freezing cold & pitch black outside now so I'm going outside for a walk & I'm going to have
    a good little try out

Quote Originally Posted by smiler82 View Post
    I agree to the above; It is a mark of a quality company that Henry DID NOT ship out the lights that did not meet the standard that he has set for his lights.
    Well said. I'm patiently waiting and will support Henry's fantastic product when they're 100% ready to roll.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!

Exactly 4 months to the day, I received my replacement Clickies today, a 140 and a 200. It looks like Henry's new shop Is doing a fine job. The parts look very good as usual, and they work great.

I have to say, I really like the 200's beam. So there's a bit of a ring on white walls at short distances, who cares? When you actually use the light, this is a really useful beam. Great blend of throw and spill. I think Henry did right with the XP-G for this light. I really like it. The emitter is well centered also. I think the SSC P4 based Clickies were my favorite, but I definitely prefer this XP-G to the GDP. It puts out plenty of light with a nice big hotspot. I'm pleased. I'm also glad that I hung onto that Ti Moddoo clip now that they don't come with holes.

Take heart brothers, lights are a coming!

Flashaholic*

Thanks for the update nbp. It's good t know the orders are starting to roll out of Henry's workshop. I am expecting the rotary I ordered in November to arrive sometime in January...I am confident the wait will be worth it for this light!

Quote Originally Posted by thaugen View Post
    Thanks for the update nbp. It's good t know the orders are starting to roll out of Henry's workshop. I am expecting the rotary I ordered in November to arrive sometime in January...I am confident the wait will be worth it for this light!
    I hope you get your rotary soon,i've had mine now since september & it's a brilliant light.I hope you like it as much as i do
    & it will be well worth the wait.

.... I'm pleased. I'm also glad that I hung onto that Ti Moddoo clip now that they don't come with holes.

.... Lucky guy and thanks for the heads up as well!

I spoke to my friend the “Tooth Fairy” after I read your post (since she can expedite time and travel).

So when you wake up one of these days with a dollar under your pillow and the clip's no where to be found, ……… It may be on a 170T somewhere specific in the 100K plus square miles of the Sonoran Desert! ... ..... Oh back at you! ...

Congrats on the New Arrivals! ...
    Last edited by AZPops; 12-18-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Deleted Post! .... Sorry!
    Last edited by AZPops; 12-18-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Here are the new ones, replacements for dead 140 and HI CRI lights. The black bezeled/Moddoo clipped light is a 200 Exec and the silver bezel is the 140. They look pretty nice.

I'm not sure if I will keep the 140 or sell it right now. I at one point had 3 Clickies, including one Ti Clicky, and 2 Twisties. But I ended up selling the Ti to fund my McGizmo habit, as they have become my primary EDCs now, and I just got these two Clickies finally as replacements for the other two after some months. I am definitely keeping my Twisties, as they are discontinued and brilliant. But I wonder if just the one Clicky 200 is maybe sufficient. I see the 140s are only $124 now, so I don't know if it's worth selling or if I should just keep it as kind of a 'beater' work light. I don't really know at this point. Thoughts?

Good position to be in, but since you're asking. I'd keep them both since the beam profiles are different. This is one of the reasons why I decided to hold on to the 170T (as well as not doing the emitter mod to keep it's warranty valid) and Rotary.

If I can learn how to program the Rotary, I'd be good to go.
    Last edited by AZPops; 12-18-2011 at 07:59 PM.

NBP, Did your old switches stop working? Is that why you ordered new ones? What part of the switch, just the rubber boot, or the actual electronic piece? What's the install process like?

Thank you sir

Flashaholic*

Keep practicing, once you get it, you get it. It took me a few tries and some emails with Henry.
    --Jason--
    #67/#39

Nick, sell the 140 and keep the 200. No point hanging on to it right?
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by duro View Post
    NBP, Did your old switches stop working? Is that why you ordered new ones? What part of the switch, just the rubber boot, or the actual electronic piece? What's the install process like?

Thank you sir
    No, the other two had some sort of machining anomaly that would cause intermittent connection issues where the light would suddenly not turn on with out loosening and re-tightening the head. They apparently went in Henry's junk pile.

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Nick, sell the 140 and keep the 200. No point hanging on to it right?
    That's kinda what I was thinking too Andy. That I don't really need both at this point as the 200 will do everything the 140 will do and more. I just don't want to sell it and then think Oh, I should have kept that one. But it isn't like I don't have enough lights to carry, and then I'll have some pocket change toward something new. So many decisions.

I'm not sure if I will keep the 140 or sell it right now .... I wonder if just the one Clicky 200 is maybe sufficient. I see the 140s are only $124 now, so I don't know if it's worth selling or if I should just keep it as kind of a 'beater' work light. I don't really know at this point. Thoughts?
    That's such a pertinent point seldom mentioned. It's easy to decide what to do with a one trick pony that one doesn't use much, especially if it's worth a good bit, but when it's a do-everything light that won't bring all that much to the bank, it's pretty easy to see it as a backup or spare. I could easily see going either way, and for me actually I'd probably be considering selling the 200, as it would bring more and being as I'm happy with my hCRI 100 and prefer the wider beam pattern, that would form my opinion.

That's all from me - your call!
    It's really easy if you're using the flow chart - have you downloaded it? Much easier for me to follow than the original instructions.
    I changed brightness tonight while using it as a bicycle headlight. From the level I wanted to go brighter with I just clicked twice then held down for a moment on the third click. After that each subsequent click took it one level higher and after I got off the bike, I lowered that setting down again by reversing directions with a double click.
    After you've reached the brightness you want for that setting, just hold the button down until the light finishes it's memory process, indicating by a slow ramping up in brightness.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post

It's really easy if you're using the flow chart - have you downloaded it? Much easier for me to follow than the original instructions.
    I changed brightness tonight while using it as a bicycle headlight. From the level I wanted to go brighter with I just clicked twice then held down for a moment on the third click. After that each subsequent click took it one level higher and after I got off the bike, I lowered that setting down again by reversing directions with a double click.
    After you've reached the brightness you want for that setting, just hold the button down until the light finishes it's memory process, indicating by a slow ramping up in brightness.
    Flow chart? Where is that located? I didn't know we had one available.
    --Jason--
    #67/#39

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Flow chart? Where is that located? I didn't know we had one available.

I think it's this one.

Got my Executive 200 Clicky with a black bezel today!

Fit and finish is otherworldly, and the hand-feel is incredible. For those of you still waiting, fear not, the lights are hitting the mail!

Big props to Henry and Co. for pushing through the backorders, especially around the holiday season. This light is worth the wait!

Who's got my Moddoo clip?

Flashaholic*

Good position to be in, but since you're asking. I'd keep them both since the beam profiles are different. This is one of the reasons why I decided to hold on to the 170T (as well as not doing the emitter mod to keep it's warranty valid) and Rotary.

Keep working on it . Some get it easier then others. I finally figured mine out, but there was a point when I wondered if I was wearing out the switch, or draining the battery to low to support programming. But once you figure it out, you'll ask yourself what was so hard about that.

Page 3 of 215 FirstFirst 123456789101353103 ... LastLast