Olight
Page 4 of 215 FirstFirst 12345678910111454104 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 16

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 16

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!

Exactly 4 months to the day, I received my replacement Clickies today, a 140 and a 200. It looks like Henry's new shop Is doing a fine job. The parts look very good as usual, and they work great.
    Thanks NBP. Did Henry notify you before he sent them or did they just show up?

Quote Originally Posted by drnumbers

Thanks NBP. Did Henry notify you before he sent them or did they just show up?
    They just showed up! Suprises are great!

They just showed up! Suprises are great!
    So mine could be waiting at home now! Sleepless nights ahead.

I had to read the manual again tonight, as I was reprogramming. Haven't done it in so long, I needed a refresher.

I like the option to disable burst on these new models over the Legacy lights. I don't need the 200 lumens often but it's nice to get all of them when I want to kick it up all the way to find the dog outside at night or some similar situation where max reach is helpful. I also like the new threads, these things are really sturdy! Plus, they make it sooo much easier to quickly rethread the body back into the head when you do a reset. No chance of cross-threading these things.

I realize people talked about all these things at the beginning of the year when the new style came out, but I'm late to the party and just seeing it first hand now. Henry really made some good improvements to this line. Well done brother!

I haven't read this thread for the last few months, so I'd like someone to answer my question:

do HDS lights still have production issues, or problems which appear a few days after the purchase or are they back to the usual very high quality?
    LiteFlux LF2XT Q4 NAT [faulty...]; Preon Stealth Black

What problem are you referring to?

I think the little firmware bug in the new software is long corrected.

I think the little firmware bug in the new software is long corrected.
    I've been getting great service out of my present Clicky and unless I'm mistaken it was made last year. No problems.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

What did the firmware bug entail?

You couldn't do a factory reset.

But I believe that was fixed right away, and if you manage get a light that has the problem from a dealer or the MP you can send it to Henry and he'll reprogram or fix it however he does that.

Not that it's a big deal since you can program the modes to whatever you want anyways, so I wouldn't even bother.

My rotary is from the first production run and has the bug present. Sent it back to Henry and it was fixed. Other than that I have no other issues.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Is there any news or speculation on Henry updating the emitter besides the CRI?

Plus, Henry will update the LED in the Titanium Clicky, correct?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcel View Post
    Is there any news or speculation on Henry updating the emitter besides the CRI?

Plus, Henry will update the LED in the Titanium Clicky, correct?

Thanks.
    I don't think there is a point to look into Henry's crystal ball right now unless he iron out his production. He can't even get the high CRI out, why then should we even bother to know if he will contemplate changing the emitter for future runs? It seems so very very far away don't you think?
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Just noticed a PDF file (after doing a Google search) announcing the release of the EDC-LE 200. Looks like a Tactical 200 minus the strobe in the default programming and one click preset comes on at 71 lumens. Unique Titanium has it as an option although out of stock.
    Last edited by Slumber Pass; 12-22-2011 at 02:43 AM.

All I want is an AA battery tube for my Rotary ...

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    I don't think there is a point to look into Henry's crystal ball right now unless he iron out his production. He can't even get the high CRI out, why then should we even bother to know if he will contemplate changing the emitter for future runs? It seems so very very far away don't you think?
    True. I was just wondering if I sure jump on the current line up or wait (depending on the timeframe).

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    Just noticed a PDF file (after doing a Google search) announcing the release of the EDC-LE 200. Looks like a Tactical 200 minus the strobe in the default programming and one click preset comes on at 71 lumens. Unique Titanium has it as an option although out of stock.
    I'll look into it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    All I want is an AA battery tube for my Rotary ...
    I as well.

Guess my light won't make it for Christmas. Been waiting for more than a month already

Flashaholic*

I have been waiting over a month now for my Rotary as well. In a recent e-mail Henry told me it would not arrive before Christmas, but perhaps sometime in January. Good things come to those who wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    Looks like just a different programing option, marketing, nothing the end user couldn't do himself. However it depends on the emitter. I could see the GDP as being move desirable to LEO/military as opposed to the Cree. So maybe, if it's a GDP emitter with a slightly higher output (200 as opposed to 170), it would be a nice option. IF HDS actually did want to target LEO they probably would have to up the lumen and runtimes and start producing two cell lights. IMO.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by thaugen View Post
    I have been waiting over a month now for my Rotary as well...
    I received my Rotary yesterday, model EDC-R1B-200. It was ordered Nov 1. It is a fantastic light. I've owned HDS U42, U60, Ra Clicky, Surefire U2, A2, etc. The Rotary is a perfect refinement of the HDS concept. The rotary action is smooth and brightness levels visually even per degree of rotation. The beam pattern is perfect -- a smooth hotspot and even spillbeam.

Changing brightness levels via rotary control, there's no glitching, surging, or anomalies of any kind.

This was the first HDS light I've had with the raised button. I decided to try that, since it makes activation easer with gloves. I was a little afraid it would make accidental activation too easy. No worries -- like everything else on HDS lights, tiny details like proper button pressure are well thought out. The pressure needed and button "throw" distance are perfect.

Everything about the light feels like a high-quality tool. It just "oozes" quality.

Flashaholic*

My Rotary just arrived in time for Christmas! Thank you Henry for exceeding my expectations on the light and delivery time. This is a beautiful light!

I too just received a light from Henry two days ago. It's my first HDS a Cc200E with black bezel & flat switch. It's excellent in every way! I've been waiting since 10/8/11. But this is worth twice the wait! Henry was great, he put up with me checking in too much and always answered my emails. Hats off to you Henry! I am a happy customer!

Great news that you've finally got your new lights from Henry,i just hope it doesn't take to long to send some over the pond to the UK
    its great that you've recieved them for christmas i'm happy for you's.merry christmas.

This is pretty exciting news. I can see the backlog disappearing through the last handful of posts.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Flashaholic*

Now that my new Rotary had arrived I have been trying to enable the customization with no success...My HDS Clicky 120 was purchased used so the customization was already enabled. I am comfortable with the interface, but can't seem to get the customization enabled on my new rotary...any tips?

Thanks in advance for your help and Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by thaugen; 12-25-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Now that my new Rotary had arrived I have been trying to enable the customization with no success...My HDS Clicky 120 was purchased used so the customization was already enabled. I am comfortable with the interface, but can't seem to get the customization enabled on my new rotary...any tips?

Yup this is when I wished I lived next door to a 14 year old who'd probably read the instructions/manual once, then make the light dance to whatever tune I want! ... LOL

The only problem with that is when he/she hands the light back to me telling me, "Is that it? You couldn't figure that out yourself?" ... Of course I can, I wanted to see if you could figure it out! ...
    Last edited by AZPops; 12-25-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Flashaholic*

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

I've been using my Rotary on low to navigate at night through my mother-in-laws house. Such a nice design, and easy to use interface.
    --Jason--
    #67/#39

It's pretty well spelled out in your manual (I don't have the rotary, just the previous 170 and High CRI clickies but the interface is the same). I did have problems getting it going as well, but once I figured it out, it didn't seem so hard to do.

The manual states:
    Reset your flashlight - i.e., remove the battery for 60 seconds and
    reinstall. Alternatively, you can turn on your flashlight, remove the battery compartment (your flashlight will turn off) and then reinstall
    the battery compartment without waiting. Your flashlight will light dimly for 7 seconds and turn off to indicate a reset has taken place.
    You have 15 seconds following the reset indication to begin the next step. After 15 seconds, you will need to start over.

Perform a 20-click, press and hold from Off. You donít have to count the clicks because you are allowed to enter more than 20
    clicks prior to the press and hold. After the 20th click your flashlight stops turning off and on with every other click.
    Remember: do not pause between clicks or before the press and hold.

Hold the button down until your flashlight turns off. Your flashlight will display a dim-to-bright sequence to indicate it is enabling
    Customization and then turn off. Release the button after your flashlight turns off. Customization is now enabled.
    The key is to quickly assemble the light and get those 20 clicks + done until the light stops turning on and off and ending the series of clicks with a press and hold and waiting until the dim to bright sequence and the light turning off by itself before releasing the button. Any hesitation during the 20+ clicks and/or between those 20+ clicks and the final press and hold OR releasing the press/hold before the light fully turns off by itself, will result in the light not entering programming mode. My thumb is twitchy and it was hard for me to not have a hiccup somewhere in the sequence so I would have to start over and over...... eventually I got it right, and I now leave both my lights with the programming enabled as I am the only one that uses them. Even if someone were to bung up my programming..... the programming is much easier than getting the darn thing into program mode in the first place....... To recap, just keep clicking until the light stops turning on/off and then stop with the button pressed and HOLD IT until you see the dim to bright sequence AND the light turning itself off.... once it turns itself off you can release the button.

Hope this help,

Christian

Flashaholic*

Thanks for all your help! I got it after a few tries and a helpful PM from a kind member! Merry Christmas and I am loving this light!

Now it is customized to:

A: 24 (Max, 200 lumens)
    B: Rotary
    C: 16 (13 lumens)
    D: Tactical Strobe

Options Enabled: Turn On Preset, button lock, burst mode, button lock, momentary, customization

Many of us had trouble. I am not good with reading and applying instructions. The down side of that is a lack of confidence so a mild mental block is established from the beginning causing a tense frame of mind. For me after several tries over a period of days, it got easier.

I found the biggest problem getting into customization was clicking fast/constant enough. Finally I quit counting and just clicked until it quit going on and off. Of course the appropriate procedure needs to be followed when that happens. I think you hold the switch down until the light goes off. (don't have the manual in front of me)

So my advise is play with it for a while and walk away and repeat at a later time.

EDIT:

OOPS, started my post and stopped to eat a family breakfast...glad you got it accomplished.
    Last edited by notsofast; 12-25-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Ra 120/XPG -R4, Ra 100w, SC50W, H51+W, SC31W, H501W, Sunwayman V11R High CRI, DEFT FTP, McGizmo HD45, MR. Bulk Ti Dragon/RPM set, Mini 123W, 2 olight M20 Warriors, Alu ITP A3 & Ti ITP A3.

thaugen, interestingly enough you have set your HDS Rotary up exactly as I plan on setting mine. I've memorized the sequences for each setting about two months ago ;-)
    Take the default setting, switch out the emergency strobe for tactical strobe, enable momentary, burst, and lock.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.