Click to visit Lumintop new flashlights!
Page 7 of 215 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141757107 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 16

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 16

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter21 View Post
    I love the tint on the GDP emitter but the doughnut hole is much more pronounced on the GDP than with the XP-G at close range illumination.
    I have a 170 with GDP emitter and it has a flawless beam. No doughnut hole at all, at any range.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    I have a 170 with GDP emitter and it has a flawless beam. No doughnut hole at all, at any range.
    i guess my 170 with the GDP wasn't calibrated properly.

I can finally post here! I got my first HDS Rotary yesterday and all I can say is I can't believe I waited this long. What a light easy to program and I can make it just the way I like it. Got the Kydex holster on order can't wait. For anyone out there on the fence don't put it off any longer you are only hurting yourself! LOL! These light are worth every penny.

Not sure by it might be due to improper spacing between the reflector and emitter, which I know can be adjusted, but I'm not sure how - the guys that mod these should be able to tell you how.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter21 View Post
    i guess my 170 with the GDP wasn't calibrated properly.
    My 170T (new version with acme threads) has no D-hole either.

At about 2-6 inches there is one, but at any normal operating range I just get a nice smooth hotspot.

I love the beam on this flashlight, great throw out of such a small package!

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Meeeeoooowwww..... Or is it ROAAAAARRRRRR!!!? Happy new year to all!!

From Urban Dictionary:

CAT
    A person, usually male and generally considered or thought to be cool.
    After meeting a new group of people one may say to his or her friends "Those cats were alright."

Go Clicky!

I agree that it's a personal preference between the OGD and XP-G emitter‘s profile, as well how the light is utilized (as in a tool).

After receiving my Rotary, I was given the opportunity to see which light (between the 170T and Rotary) or beam profile worked best for my nightly EDC. I found although the 170T is my preference, I’ve reached for the Rotary most nights because of it’s tint.

However, I decided to keep the OGD in the 170T to keep the light in it’s original manufactured design.

I found the best review which shows the beam profiles of the OGD and XP-G (if you look closely) is Marshall’s Youtube video.

IMO that the Rotary has an effective range of up to 50 to 75 yards and the 170T is effective up to 100/135 yards. If I was knowledgeable how to take these type of photos I could show you what I’m describing. Aside from range, if searching in a narrow or tight area, the tighter beam profile works extremely well.
    Last edited by AZPops; 01-01-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by P_A_S_1 View Post
    Is that due to the 'rings' in the beam or the actual beam pattern itself?
    In real world use I didn't find the slight ring around the corona distracting at all. I simply preferred the narrow beam of the GDP.

I've just ordered the high-CRI EDC! Now I feel excited and am looking forward to trying it underground!

I missed the Seoul Semiconductors high-CRI version and waited for a version whose reflector would be adapted to the emitter. I hope this is the case with this new HDS.

However I'm a little disapointed by the 3700K CCT, since I expected 3000K (i.e. the high-CRI 90 Cree XP-G, whose incandescent-like tint on my Armytek reminded me incandescent-Maglite times).
    However most of people ask for neutral, so I understand that HDS offers neutral

I've also noticed the "decorative" clip option ("Wide decorative black stainless steel pocket clip for bezel down carry. The pocket clip fits in the groove between the battery compartment and switch cap"). Which clip is it? Is it the well-known Moddo clip?
    I haven't ordered it since I already have two Moddoo clip waiting for an HDS host, but I'm curious.

BTW: happy new year!

My wife just ordered me one (HCRI) this morning. Im hoping I like it. I have an Executive 170 that's awesome, but the tint is what worries me on the HCRI. I tried a Malkoff M61W and the amount of pink was literally nauseating. If this one turns me off like the Malkoff, I'm joining the "Not Gonna Buy Warm White" club.
    As I wrote above, I used a 3000K high-CRI XPG-G Armytek underground (in the Parisian mines called "catacombs" -- yes, I'm a cataphile , a guy whose flashlights experience a lot of scratches! ) and it was extremely close to my incandescent Mag Charger. I love this tint! So I'm confident that this new HDS will meet my expectations.
    Last edited by Cavannus; 01-01-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Cavannus if it's for the Clicky, then yes. Go to Oveready's web site and place "moddoo clip" in the search bar which will then give you a list. One in the list will show the HDS Clicky with the Moddoo clip installed in it. However you can't use it on the Rotary, (as previously mentioned) the Fenix snap on style pocket clip is the way to go (since that's the only one I've seen mentioned so far).

Man do I wish I had a Moddoo clip for my 170T! I sent Jason "Prometheus Dark Sucks" an email in regards to making a Ti clip (the one designed for his Alpha A) that'll work with the HDS Clicky! If he does, I'm in!

If you're thinking, the Alpha A Ti clip's ID is just a bit too small!
    Last edited by AZPops; 01-01-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by crizyal View Post
    In real world use I didn't find the slight ring around the corona distracting at all. I simply preferred the narrow beam of the GDP.
    I agree. I have seen the slight "ring" in several of my other lights and this is the only thread I have read complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by AZPops View Post
    Cavannus if it's for the Clicky, then yes. Go to Oveready's web site and place "moddoo clip" in the search bar which will then give you a list. One in the list will show the HDS Clicky with the Moddoo clip installed in it. However you can't use it on the Rotary, (as previously mentioned) the Fenix snap on style pocket clip is the way to go (since that's the only one I've seen mentioned so far).
    Thanks for your answer. I already have a Moddoo clip on my Clicky GT and have two others in stock. They have a smart design that gives a unique touch to HDS flashlights, compared to the basic original HDS clip, so I'm a convinced customer.

So I'm curious: did Henry realize that he could offer this clip with his products, or did he design another "decorative" clip?
    Henry claims "decorative design" but he should add a picture otherwise users cannot figure out what this means!
    Last edited by Cavannus; 01-02-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by TMCGLASSON36 View Post
    I can finally post here! I got my first HDS Rotary yesterday and all I can say is I can't believe I waited this long. What a light easy to program and I can make it just the way I like it. Got the Kydex holster on order can't wait. For anyone out there on the fence don't put it off any longer you are only hurting yourself! LOL! These light are worth every penny.

May I ask how long did it take for you to get your order filled? I inquired about getting one and wanted to see if the EDC Rotary 200 lumens flashlight (EDC-R1B-200) was in stock for immediate delivery. The reply was that backorders were about 3 weeks out. If this is the case, I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get in the ordering queue.

Strange... I am very very certain I posted this yesterday and even edited the post twice but it is now missing.

Here goes again...

High CRI Rotary is now available on the customs ordering page!!!

Happy now??
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Strange... I am very very certain I posted this yesterday and even edited the post twice but it is now missing.

Here goes again...

Happy now??
    That is so funny! I remember it was at the top of a page, and I was actually looking for it an hour or so ago and I was all like... "where the heck did that "NOW AVAILABLE" post go???

I need to go to the website that sells these and have a look!
    Last edited by brandocommando; 01-01-2012 at 11:22 PM.

double post.

Flashaholic

Here goes again...

Happy now??
    Never said I wasn't happy if your post was directed to me. I just wanted to be "enlightened". Thanks and Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by mauiblue View Post
    Never said I wasn't happy if your post was directed to me. I just wanted to be "enlightened". Thanks and Happy New Year.
    My post was meant for all the high CRI HDSomaniacs out here in CPF. Happy new year!
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

It looks like the HDS site is starting to shape up. Maybe a 240 lumen model and different materials (all stainless/titanium) are soon to follow.....maybe .

Damn you, Andy! I just sent payment for HCRI Custom Rotary to HDS. I blame you, your night trekking beamshots and your praise of rotary here on CPF.

But thank you :-).

My post was meant for all the high CRI HDSomaniacs out here in CPF. Happy new year!

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Damn you, Andy! I just sent payment for HCRI Custom Rotary to HDS. I blame you, your night trekking beamshots and your praise of rotary here on CPF.

But thank you :-).

We go broke together?? How's that sound?

Familiar :-)

We go broke together?? How's that sound?

I got this one off the CPF Market. I did call henry about the HIGH CRI and he said about three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mauiblue View Post
    May I ask how long did it take for you to get your order filled? I inquired about getting one and wanted to see if the EDC Rotary 200 lumens flashlight (EDC-R1B-200) was in stock for immediate delivery. The reply was that backorders were about 3 weeks out. If this is the case, I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get in the ordering queue.

Woohoo! The high CRI Rotaries are here! I just ordered a custom Rotary with the high CRI emitter, raised button, and silver bezel (to distinguish it from my cool white Rotary which will probably go to my wife. She loves the Rotary interface).

Now comes the agonizing wait for the darn thing to actually arrive in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Familiar :-)
    Well, just ordered two of them. One for me and one for my friend. Wonder how soon will I see it.

Placed my order yesterday, I looked at it 20x to make sure I wasn't readying the site incorrectly. I believe the description said it was approximately 4000k. I've been waiting for this opportunity for a long time!

Here goes again...

Happy now??

Quote Originally Posted by ecallahan View Post
    Placed my order yesterday, I looked at it 20x to make sure I wasn't readying the site incorrectly.
    I've checked my order confirmation at least 4 times to make sure I hadn't ordered the wrong thing.

"high CRI 120 lm, uc glass, svr bzl, blk bdy, 123, raised btn"

Yep, that's what I wanted. Better check it again, though, just to make sure.
    Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 01-02-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Double post

I had a Sundrop XRU and I couldn't tell any difference in colors between that and my Nitecore EX10 or Zebralight H30Q5.

Would it be safe for me to assume that the Hi CRI Rotary would be no benefit to me over the standard rotary?

If you really can't see any difference between a standard cool white emitter and a neutral/warm high CRI then the high CRI Rotary is unlikely to be of any benefit to you.

Page 7 of 215 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141757107 ... LastLast