HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
As Henry always stated, this thread is for the discussion of the use, features, function etc. of the HDS EDC/Rotary lights. Keep it clean and friendly and on topic. Thanks guys. GO! :thumbsup:

Continued from # 15.

duro

Enlightened
Okay, last thread I discussed not being able to get my tactical out of lock out unless the battery is a fresh one, if the battery is used a lot, it wont come out of lock out. I have tried the batteries when the light doesn't work in other flashlights and they work fine. I press three times like normal and nothing. The light still does the flashes to indicate it's in lock out and wont turn on.

Is something wrong with the light? I just don't get it. Parasitic drain maybe?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, last thread I discussed not being able to get my tactical out of lock out unless the battery is a fresh one, if the battery is used a lot, it wont come out of lock out. I have tried the batteries when the light doesn't work in other flashlights and they work fine. I press three times like normal and nothing. The light still does the flashes to indicate it's in lock out and wont turn on.

Is something wrong with the light? I just don't get it. Parasitic drain maybe?
If you are doing 3 fast clicks (3 clicks in rapid succession) and it isn't coming out of button lock then your light might have some issues. I would call Henry and see what he says.

nbp

Flashaholic
Would it be antisocial to mod a Titanium Clicky to an XML?

No. I think it would be cool. You just gotta have the guts to do it. ;) I don't. Mostly because on that one, I wouldn't want to void the warranty. I had to send a Ti Clicky to Henry for fix-it time once, and I woulda been pretty unhappy if he refused to due to my modding it. But, you are not me and I am not you, so if you want to do it, go for it. Then show us what you did. :)

Mgizler

Enlightened
Have a question for you guys. Is there anyone that I can have mod my HDS clicky to fix the dark center mass in the beam. Im new to modding lights and am not going to attempt this myself. Its driving me crazy and im almost to the point of selling it and buying a Mac's XM-L EDC. Well I might buy one anyway. But any and all advice is appreciated.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a question for you guys. Is there anyone that I can have mod my HDS clicky to fix the dark center mass in the beam. Im new to modding lights and am not going to attempt this myself. Its driving me crazy and im almost to the point of selling it and buying a Mac's XM-L EDC. Well I might buy one anyway. But any and all advice is appreciated.
You mean even when pointing it a few meters away? Or about a couple of inches away?

Mgizler

Enlightened
You mean even when pointing it a few meters away? Or about a couple of inches away?

Yes. You can even see the fault in the beam when its about 6 feet away on a wall. I tried to take some pictures but they did not turn out good. Also the Emitter is very much not centered. Thoughts?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's odd, my doughnut hole is gone at around 4-5 inches and I believe that is the norm (rotary 200 XPG). If anyone alters the light you can potentially lose the warranty. I'd call Henry before I modded anything.

nbp

Flashaholic
All my EDC lights are sub-200 lumens. Even the customs. I think that 200 is plenty for 99% of uses.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my EDC lights are sub-200 lumens. Even the customs. I think that 200 is plenty for 99% of uses.
I feel the same way... I'd be more then happy with 100 high CRI lumens.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel the same way... I'd be more then happy with 100 high CRI lumens.

I EDC my high CRI 100 and find that it covers 99% of my lighting needs. Sure, it would be nice if it were 200 or more lumens on max, but 100 is pretty sufficient. Actually, the mode I use most is around 20 lumens.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. You can even see the fault in the beam when its about 6 feet away on a wall. I tried to take some pictures but they did not turn out good. Also the Emitter is very much not centered. Thoughts?
Then I suggest you call Henry and send it back. Could be a case of misalignment on the reflector.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
200 EDC owners - have 200 lumens been sufficient for most of your tasks?
In my opinion, anything more than 200 lumen is a want, not a need. I am happy running my lights at 100 lumen or less and find that it covers most of my needs. Just to make sure I am certain of what I am talking about, I went on a trekking trip using only a 80 or 90 lumen McGizmo high CRI Haiku and realized that it is enough. Of course I am not denying that the more we have the merrier it will be, but day to day usage who really needs more?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'm there with the idea that a decent 100 lumens is enough for most purposes and it's up to the buyer to realize if their needs go beyond. For purposes where you might want more throw it's hard to not benefit from the extra output that most lights now offer, but I too find the outputs from my high CRI Clicky to be plenty most of the time, as are my other 'low output' high CRI lights - Haiku and V10R.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Just recieved and opened the package with my new Rotary 200 enclosed. The rotary ring was a bit stiff but after a couple of twists it is feeling better already. There is one question i would like to ask though?

I have a silver bezel for this light on the way from Henry and i just went to unscrew the bezel like i do on my legacy 170T and the whole section beneath the bezel, including the reflector started to unscrew instead. Should the bezel come off the same as my legacy or will the silver bezel for my rotary come with the reflector as well?

I have tried to grip the bezel just to turn that but there is very little to grab hold of.

Help!

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've actually never been able to separate the bezel from the reflector. I don't know if they used Locktite or something similar during assembly. I haven't taken tools to it yet because I'm afraid of causing damage.

davyro

Enlightened
Just recieved and opened the package with my new Rotary 200 enclosed. The rotary ring was a bit stiff but after a couple of twists it is feeling better already. There is one question i would like to ask though?

I have a silver bezel for this light on the way from Henry and i just went to unscrew the bezel like i do on my legacy 170T and the whole section beneath the bezel, including the reflector started to unscrew instead. Should the bezel come off the same as my legacy or will the silver bezel for my rotary come with the reflector as well?

I have tried to grip the bezel just to turn that but there is very little to grab hold of.

Help!

I don't know how the legacy comes apart but my rotary comes apart exactly the same as yours,if i loosen the bezel,the lens & reflector come apart.
I e-mailed Henry yesterday & i got a reply from him within the hour so if you've got any questions about any of his lights i'd just drop him a line.

davyro

Enlightened
200 EDC owners - have 200 lumens been sufficient for most of your tasks?

For 90% of the time 200 is enough for me,what i would say though if Henry decided to build a 400 lumen rotary or clicky for that matter,i would be ordering one
as soon as i could.The thing is if you had a 400 lumen flashlight made by Henry you would have the choice to programme it to whatever level of light you would
want all the way up to 400 lumens.That's what i'd find really apealling for 90% of the time you could have it at say between 100 to 200 lumens,then it would be
great to be able to push out 400 lumens for that 10% of the time whenever you felt you needed it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.