Malkoff
Page 43 of 215 FirstFirst ... 333637383940414243444546474849505393143 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 6421

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 16

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 16

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Twisty with 18650 tube and McGizmo clip mounted on the tail - I have the same setup! Sweet light.
    Thanks nbp, I love it, classy, simple UI smooth operation
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

It's more sad than unbelievable. I'm thinking to get the quality that is representative of HDS lights, the cost of machining is probably higher than ever.
    - SureFire 6PD / Malkoff M60-Q5 / Z59 Clicky
    - HDS EDC-R1S-200
    - Fenix PD30-R4

Quote Originally Posted by Jackyl View Post
    It's more sad than unbelievable. I'm thinking to get the quality that is representative of HDS lights, the cost of machining is probably higher than ever.
    I have been told that Clicky parts have come in, and they are expecting more soon. Rotaries are still in delay
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackyl View Post
    I don't know about the rest here but personally I don't mind paying more if Henry felt that it would be essential to cover the higher machining costs by some professionals. The only issue would be how much more? I am fine if it is $40 or $50 more just so I could get my hands on the best, but I may need to reconsider if it came to a whopping $100 more. Keeping my fingers cross that this is going to be the last 6 weeks of waiting.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by AnAppleSnail View Post
    I have been told that Clicky parts have come in, and they are expecting more soon. Rotaries are still in delay
    Some good news at least but mine is the rotaries. If these clickies pass Henry's QC then I think the rotaries should also be alright.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Flashaholic*

I admire your patience and restraint pjandyho but honestly I would not be happy paying more for a HDS and I've owned 3, hopefully soon to be 4, HDS lights.
    Like you, I've been waiting since the first week of January for my light and unfortunately for me when the light finally does come in I think my primary emotion will be frustration and resentment not joy. I love HDS lights but I can't help but think this whole mess has taken a little sheen off out of the HDS aura. Surely a prepared business would have had a backup plan when something as critical as the actual flashlight parts are involved. After what is quickly approaching half a year we still haven't heard any solid info on production up to normal capacity just spotty info about a few parts here or there and a few members receiving a light that were ordered in November.
    I really feel bad about venting but my once all-positive view of HDS has gotten some negative points to it because of this mess.
    Last edited by Imon; 05-01-2012 at 10:59 AM.

For me, it has been just the opposite. No one wants HDS up and running full bore more than Henry. The fact that he hasn't compromised is refreshing, and is a major reason I chose HDS over another import this time. He used that shop or shops for over 10 years before having these issues and the hostile take-over is completely out of his hands. What's a guy suppose to do send blueprints all over the country to see who would have the capacity to step up in the event that a long standing shop takes a dump? This is a one man operation, not Surefire. If it was Surefire, the cost would likely double, quality would suffer, and the product wouldn't have the same aura about it IMO. Just another overpriced behind the times dime a dozen product found on the shelf of your local brick and mortar with laser'd logos all over it. No thanks, I prefer the obscurity.

I didn't always feel this way...which is why this is my first HDS and not a titanium import.
    Last edited by Jackyl; 05-01-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    - SureFire 6PD / Malkoff M60-Q5 / Z59 Clicky
    - HDS EDC-R1S-200
    - Fenix PD30-R4

I like that Henry seems to have a very high stubbornness for perfection. Me Being the third generation in a 40 year old family owned construction business, I understand when you have manufacturer difficulties. I remember back in the late 90's and early 2000's when hurricanes hit the southern coast hard. We had A couple of drywall jobs that we couldn't finish for a while due to the high demand for it down south. There was hardly a sheet of it here in Indiana. I know how it is to be behind and people are wanting more than you can produce it is a very stressful and overwhelming especially when it's not your fault and there's nothing you can do about it. Me and my family work usually local, I can't imagine making lights that people from all corners of the earth want then something happens and I fall way behind. If I may now be the guy who starts the slow clap for henry and Hopefully all will join in, applauding him for sticking to his word and delivering a great product. You don't find this type of dedication a lot anymore, I've seen "crews" fold up shop and never be heard from again on construction jobs and the home owners out 10-20- or even 30 grand.

Thanks Henry.

Quote Originally Posted by Imon View Post
    I admire your patience and restraint pjandyho but honestly I would not be happy paying more for a HDS and I've owned 3, hopefully soon to be 4, HDS lights.
    Like you, I've been waiting since the first week of January for my light and unfortunately for me when the light finally does come in I think my primary emotion will be frustration and resentment not joy. I love HDS lights but I can't help but think this whole mess has taken a little sheen off out of the HDS aura. Surely a prepared business would have had a backup plan when something as critical as the actual flashlight parts are involved. After what is quickly approaching half a year we still haven't heard any solid info on production up to normal capacity just spotty info about a few parts here or there and a few members receiving a light that were ordered in November.
    I really feel bad about venting but my once all-positive view of HDS has gotten some negative points to it because of this mess.
    Just be patient. I think these feelings of negativity would soon pass as and when Henry gets his production issues sorted out. I understand his problems and I am not about to squeeze him dead for that even though I have a right to as a customer who is paying a premium price. I trust that Henry is doing his best to make things right for all of us as well as his business. So yes, just a little more patience friend.

Flashaholic*

HDS Systems makes the best lights available in my opinion, I hope you guys don't have to wait much longer. I ordered a rotary in January 2011 and had to wait months to get it, which was only supposed to take weeks, and others had to wait longer then I. This was frustrating for me because I was excited to receive my first HDS, but I was very busy at the time anyhow and the wait was well worth it. Similar issues are happening a full year later and I think that is why people are frustrated/upset.

I've been wanting a High CRI/Neutral/Warm HDS since I got my rotary, but I figured that was a ways off because of the back-order situation. It's great that Henry requires such perfection from his shops and will never sacrifice quality, but I just wish he could source a good shop, or put bids out to multiple shops or something. Yes it is the shops fault, but HDS Systems is Henry's company, and you would think another shop would have been sourced by now. Personally, I have just decided to wait until everything gets straightened out, back-orders are filled, and production gets going again. I'm not so sure I would be this content and patient if I had an order in and/or if I was still waiting on my first HDS, but hopefully everyone gets there lights soon, I think you will enjoy them.
    Last edited by TyJo; 05-01-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Keep in my mind, I kept thinking if Henry would tell us 6 weeks later that the contractors had screwed up on the orders again. Couldn't help being negative about it. That is why I am jaded, unless of course I start seeing folks here receiving their orders.
    Some vendors and even individual customers have started receiving their lights within the past month, so orders are being filled. Just very, very slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Imon View Post
    I love HDS lights but I can't help but think this whole mess has taken a little sheen off out of the HDS aura. Surely a prepared business would have had a backup plan when something as critical as the actual flashlight parts are involved. After what is quickly approaching half a year we still haven't heard any solid info on production up to normal capacity just spotty info about a few parts here or there and a few members receiving a light that were ordered in November.
    I agree with these sentiments. I think my advice to people in the future will be that HDS are the best lights money can buy but never order direct from HDS and instead stick with retailers who are showing the lights as in-stock. Otherwise, you could be in for a very long wait.

Hopefully Henry is soon running at full capacity,i was lucky & i bought my last HDS privately but i do want a Hi -Cri Rotary asap.If the issues are still happening in the summer months i might get my latest HDS modded with a nichia but i'd much rather keep my
    warranty valid & give Henry my buisness.

I've been waiting since mid January for my first light from Henry.

I am a very patient person, and looking forward to a light of the highest quality. But...

What I find most bothersome is the lack of communication. In fact, you can still order direct from the site without any warning about a possible 6 month wait. No contact seems to have been made to anybody who has placed an order unless they contact him first.

Again, I am looking forward to my light. I am.

But there really is no excuse for this. Henry is not just a manufacturer. He is a operating a full-fledged business that has taken our money in exchange for products and provided no information unless prodded. I am glad that the quality of his products has created such loyaly on this board, and for this reason I will wait it out.

But these business practices would be inexcusable in nearly any other setting. At least stop taking new orders. Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous?

I mean no disrespect to anyone on here, particularly Henry. But communication seems like a minimal request from any company taking online orders. A notice on the website. An email to people who have ordered. Anything would be better than nothing.

Sorry for the rant...

rynbxtr, +1

I gave up a couple of months ago. You will not get much support here, since this place is filled with HDS admirers ;-). You may check this thead http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...thoughts/page3 but all you will get there is a 2 months old post from Henry (second page).

I totally agree with the least that could be done is the odd update now & Again i sent an 120e for repair a while ago ive not recieved any info if its fixed or whatever.i'm hoping i get a reply from one of my e mails just to let me know whats happening.I'm not going to badger Henry but i'd just like to know what the situation is,just like the many who are waiting for lights.

Quick question about the rotary.
    When turning from lowest setting up to highest, is the rotation smooth or are there clicks or detents or stops at each of the brightness steps?

Quote Originally Posted by davyro View Post
    I totally agree with the least that could be done is the odd update now & Again i sent an 120e for repair a while ago ive not recieved any info if its fixed or whatever.i'm hoping i get a reply from one of my e mails just to let me know whats happening.I'm not going to badger Henry but i'd just like to know what the situation is,just like the many who are waiting for lights.
    Just curious, what was the problem with the light? Every so often I read a post about a light being sent back but the poster doesn't state the issue with the light. Looking to see if there is a common problem or something. Again just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    Quick question about the rotary.
    When turning from lowest setting up to highest, is the rotation smooth or are there clicks or detents or stops at each of the brightness steps?
    smooth

I do appreciate a craftsman who's between a rock and a hard place and won't compromise quality... Of course I don't appreciate the taciturn reluctance to give regular updates or send shipment notices, but if you want an HDS then stick it out and make your judgement after you receive your goods.

I read the reviews, here and elsewhere, read and reread every article on the website, finally found the no-bs review, and realized that HDS probably does indeed make one of the very best lights (or the best) anywhere for the price.
    The prices probably just need to go up commensurate with Surefires to cure the delays of trying to put out a 100-200$ light of HDS standards without benefit of a mass market or dedicated factory lines (not a contract with a machine shop)...

I'd Really Love to have one of McGizmo's creations, but you won't see one at comparable prices with comparable features.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by rynbxtr View Post

I am a very patient person, and looking forward to a light of the highest quality. But...

What I find most bothersome is the lack of communication. In fact, you can still order direct from the site without any warning about a possible 6 month wait. No contact seems to have been made to anybody who has placed an order unless they contact him first.

But there really is no excuse for this. Henry is not just a manufacturer. He is a operating a full-fledged business that has taken our money in exchange for products and provided no information unless prodded. I am glad that the quality of his products has created such loyaly on this board, and for this reason I will wait it out.

But these business practices would be inexcusable in nearly any other setting. At least stop taking new orders. Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous?

I mean no disrespect to anyone on here, particularly Henry. But communication seems like a minimal request from any company taking online orders. A notice on the website. An email to people who have ordered. Anything would be better than nothing.

Sorry for the rant...
    So this is your first HDS? Let us know if you still have the same opinion once you get it. :-)

With extensive communication with my dealer and Henry, I have a partial insight as to why there are no updates provided. Henry strictly fills the orders in a first come first serve basis irrespective from which dealer or his website it comes from. Lights are shipped out to dealers in sequence of their orders as they get ready. Henry has no mapping of your exact sequence as he may not know which dealer it was placed through. I appreciate his commitment to producing fine lights and being honest about his fulfilment procedure - he could have easily filled orders directly put through his website first, but he does not.

All I was told if my order was put in oct 2011, then the light is probably ready (and it was as my dealer contacted me).

The product itself compensates for all the business-flaws as you marvel at the light and it's utility for that price point. I am sure you won't be disappointed, but please have some more patience and you'll be rewarded suitably. :-)

--
    pl. excuse brevity & possible typos - sent from a tiny device.
    my lights.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Pretty unbelievable to keep taking orders while the production was stopped (don't know if it's back on now), with no heads up to folks. He did give me a refund quickly when I asked, but that was after months of delays, and no info unless I stayed on it. Business is business, they are undoubtably great lights, but when you're dealing w/ what's basically a luxury/optional/hobby item (for most), a little customer service or even bare bones communication could go a long way.

Sorry for the rant...

I'm really not sure why Henry is so damn reluctant to keep open communication with his customers.

Just ordered my third HDS light. This one is a hi cri. Henry said it would be about six weeks. Even if it's longer it's worth the wait.

Flashaholic*

But these business practices would be inexcusable in nearly any other setting.
    I have to (reluctantly) agree. I can think of no other business or commodity that I would accept, let alone tolerate - this method of doing business.

This is not my first HDS, I do love HDS unique quality, I do think that the HDS is the best EDC flashlight, I do think that Henry is a kind of tech artist or genius -- BUT I do agree with others that his business practices do not show much respect to customers.

I received my first Clicky with some major scratches on the bezel, which is not acceptable on a $150 flashlight, while I would appreciate at least an extra (batteries,...) or a rebate. Hopefully I intended to use this flashlight for caving and urban exploration, but I would have felt VERY bad if it was a gift for my father or a friend.

Other people received misaligned leds, major body scratches, etc. -- and Henry's answer was something like "it doesn't affect the beam so stop complaining".

Now I would have appreciated to receive at least some emails telling me why my order is so late. Are all customers supposed to be CPF members?? I don't think so.
    I also think that customers would appreciate a small gift with their order (e.g. a small tube of lube, a rebate coupon, a led keyring, a few batteries, even a sticker, whatever) as a sign of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbeck180 View Post
    Henry said it would be about six weeks.
    Yeah, about that, Henry has been giving people the "six-weeks" line for several months.

I've always been a HDS fan. But their current situation has left me with the choice of not recommending Henry's lights anymore on the forums. When a new person asks for a CR123 sized light, it makes it a little difficult to say "here's the best, but you don't really know when you are going to get it." Sad, but true.

My problem with receiving no updates regarding your order is how do you know it hasn't been lost in the mail. I ordered a light in January(directly from HDS) and reading forum posts I suppose it still hasn't shipped yet.

Enlightened

It was a while ago now but i am sure i got an email to let me know my (first) HDS light had shipped! although the wait was only a matter of days rather than weeks or months for that. I ordered my (second) back in February so i reckon i have a bit longer to wait for that one... but i am sure it will have been worth it
    Last edited by Ways; 05-08-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: removed quoted previous post

Page 43 of 215 FirstFirst ... 333637383940414243444546474849505393143 ... LastLast