Battery Junction - Olight
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

  1. #1

    Default SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Hi,

    Here's a few pics of my first aspheric head. It's a outputs a very bright spot so I guess it's doing what it's supposed to on that front.

    I used the following parts:

    LED: SST-90
    Driver: 9A Buck Driver
    Lens: DX 28mm aspheric
    Housing: delrin, alloy, acrylic (6mm)

    I played with a few different aspheric lenses from DX up to the 66mm one, though the 28mm was the best size and from my visual tests output the best light.

    I also gathered along the way that the smaller sst-50 might have been a better choice, but I'd already ordered the SST-90 by that stage. I'd be curious as to whether the SST-50 would



    Regards,
    Damien Siviero
    http://damiensiviero.com

  2. #2

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Nice clean build.

    Have you looked at using the aspheric from Ahorton instead?

  3. #3

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Quote Originally Posted by Codiak View Post
    Nice clean build.

    Have you looked at using the aspheric from Ahorton instead?
    I agree, Check into Aho's.

    I just got into aspherics about 3 months ago. I bought 3 different kinds off the bat. the DX you bought, Ahorton's, and one for a D Mag.

    The difference between DXs and Ahortons is night and day. I now have 5 DX lenses that sit in a drawer. They are garbage compared to Ash's lenses. Do yourself a favor and check them out.

  4. #4
    Flashaholic* Packhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,890

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    I started with a DX 28mm lens and they seemed to work well....until they changed them. I then used Ahortons and they were better than the 2 DX lenses.

    Here is my SST-90/28mm aspheric set up. I couldnt get a decent driver at the time so ended up dismantling it.


    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...AX-with-SST-90!
    Last edited by Packhorse; 12-05-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: link

  5. #5

    Default

    Ok, sounds like I need one of the ahortons. Anyone got a link?

    Is the focus distance the same? Ie can I just switch the head out or am on back to the lathe to machine a new part?

    Thanks, ds
    Regards,
    Damien Siviero
    http://damiensiviero.com

  6. #6

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Quote Originally Posted by betti154 View Post
    Ok, sounds like I need one of the ahortons. Anyone got a link?

    Is the focus distance the same? Ie can I just switch the head out or am on back to the lathe to machine a new part?

    Thanks, ds
    No the focal length is different. You will have to re focus.

  7. #7

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesantor View Post
    No the focal length is different. You will have to re focus.
    &!£^%!

    If I'm making another of these with the 28mm Ahorton, will I get a better result with the SST-50? I'm after max light, not efficiency.

    thanks, ds
    Last edited by DM51; 12-05-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Language
    Regards,
    Damien Siviero
    http://damiensiviero.com

  8. #8

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Quote Originally Posted by betti154 View Post
    Ok, sounds like I need one of the ahortons. Anyone got a link?
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...rton%27s+sales

  9. #9
    Flashaholic* Packhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,890

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Quote Originally Posted by betti154 View Post
    &!£^%!

    If I'm making another of these with the 28mm Ahorton, will I get a better result with the SST-50? I'm after max light, not efficiency.

    thanks, ds
    SST-90 @9 amp will give you more light than a SST-50 @5 amps of course.

    The advantage of the SST-50 is it will give you a tighter beam but the beam should be of about the same intensity ( lux) as the SST-90.

    If for any reason you cant get a lens from Ahorton send me a PM. I have a few here.

    Oh here is the link I forgot to put in my other post...

    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...AX-with-SST-90!

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* DIWdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    1,425

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesantor View Post
    I agree, Check into Aho's.

    I just got into aspherics about 3 months ago. I bought 3 different kinds off the bat. the DX you bought, Ahorton's, and one for a D Mag.

    The difference between DXs and Ahortons is night and day. I now have 5 DX lenses that sit in a drawer. They are garbage compared to Ash's lenses. Do yourself a favor and check them out.
    I did the same thing and agree completely with the conclusions.

  11. #11

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Quote Originally Posted by betti154 View Post
    Ok, sounds like I need one of the ahortons. Anyone got a link?

    Is the focus distance the same? Ie can I just switch the head out or am on back to the lathe to machine a new part?

    Thanks, ds
    How is the body made? Do you have a cross-sectional drawing?
    If the lens is sitting on a lip, you can probably just machine the lip down a little at a time to get the new focus right. Does the LED come in and out easily?

    A crude solution might be to shim the LED if it's on an MCPCB.
    Maker of Aspheric Lenses and Headlamps.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic* Klem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    581

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Very nice clean machining.

    Excellent work.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* lucca brassi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kocevje , Slovenia, Europe
    Posts
    643

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Nice work ! May I ask what is size of square on ceiling and distance between ?

    @Ahorton do you have some plans of your aspherics (under 45mm) if I like to try to switch yours for DE ? Thanks!

  14. #14

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Quote Originally Posted by ahorton View Post
    How is the body made? Do you have a cross-sectional drawing?
    If the lens is sitting on a lip, you can probably just machine the lip down a little at a time to get the new focus right. Does the LED come in and out easily?

    A crude solution might be to shim the LED if it's on an MCPCB.
    The head is made in two parts, the Delrin body and the alloy section. Below is a VERY crude cross section of the alloy part. As this head is working, sealed and pressure tested I'll just give it to a mate and make another from scratch with Ash's lens. The lens (in red) sits on a lip so there is no adjustment without putting it back on the lathe which is more work than it's worth I think. The SST-90 is stuck with doubled sided thermal tape to the alloy piece at the bottom of the lens. Driver is held on the other side of the alloy section.

    I designed this head to primarily house the triple optic, which is why there is extra space when the 28mm aspheric is used. The outer dimensions will remain constant meaning I can use the same parts and jig to build triple or in this case the aspheric version.

    The front acrylic flat lens does the job, is cheap and quick. I'd like glass but am too lazy to source the parts and then it would require more time on the lathe to seat it perfectly.
    Regards,
    Damien Siviero
    http://damiensiviero.com

  15. #15
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    How does the delrin part attach to the ali head? are they threaded?

  16. #16

    Default Re: SST-90 Aspheric Light Head

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger View Post
    How does the delrin part attach to the ali head? are they threaded?
    The four screws go through the acrylic front, then through clearance holes in the alloy and screw into tapped holes in the delrin wall.
    Regards,
    Damien Siviero
    http://damiensiviero.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •